8 Posts

Spartacus: A Game of Blood & Treachery» Forums » Rules

Subject: Equipment : rental rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scorpio Seb
Canada
flag msg tools
In our last game, we allowed ourselves to rent Armor, Weapons and Specials to Dominus who were to engage in combat, but did not have all the ammo.

Is this allowed?arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Villeneuve
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can only exchange items during open market... so I don't think there's a way to pull this off. You would have to know who the combatants are before the arena phase, which isn't the case in normal games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Plei Forejoy
Singapore
flag msg tools
This space for rent!
badge
Painting all these miniatures is starting to crimp my time...
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, a rental scheme could be done, but as pointed out above, assets can only be exchanged during the Open Market phase.

The Dominus who then won to be Host could then ignore the super-decked House and choose the less equipped ones... whistle

Also... there is no guarantee that the rented-out equipment would be returned... arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ad best
United Kingdom
hereford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rememeber thematically the equipment is actually training. So you couldn't just lend a trainer and equipment to a gladiator and him be effecient in minutes.

This represents why kit can't be traded freely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Romeo
Canada
Chicoutimi
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
Well it could represent a professionnal trainer being sent to another dominus training camp or your gladiator being sent to another dominus for training...

It is completely allowed!! As long as the equipment are given during the Open Market phase...

There will be no garantee whatsoever who the host will be, and if he is really gonna send those house into combat...

Also as stated above, there is no garantee that the weapon will be given back to its owner, then again just ask for a garantee (money)

I'll lend it to you for 2 dollars but give me 5 dollars and I'll give you back your 3 dollars after you give me back my weapon!

Then again no garantee that you'll give him back his 3 dollars after he gives you back your weapon... MEN I LOVE THIS GAME!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scorpio Seb
Canada
flag msg tools
Jebbie wrote:
Yes, a rental scheme could be done, but as pointed out above, assets can only be exchanged during the Open Market phase.

Thanks for this, it actually makes sense. Another source of income without fighting! ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Bowers
United States
Strongsville
Ohio
flag msg tools
Richard Harrow RIP
badge
Richard Harrow RIP
mbmbmbmbmb
One of our house rules is that items and minions can be traded at any time, we no longer have an "open market". It allows for a ton more fun shenanigans. "I'll give you this slave if you invite my Gannicus into the arena".)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zenjoy
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its possible to "rent" in the offical rules, provided your opponent returns the items later. However there is nothing offical to prevent this happening.

For example, I want a sword. Another house has one. I ask for it and they give it to me for free in the open market, provided I return it to them in the open market next round.

Now here's a few things that could happen:
1) The Host doesn't invite me, so I've a sword and nothing to swing at
2) The Host invites my "ally" who no longer has a sword, taking advantage of their lack of weapon.
3) The next Open Markt I'm in possession of the sword and can choose to return it or keep it.

As such, I'd advise if "renting" weapons - make sure you get a safety deposit (i.e.: they buy it from you) so that you don't get backstabbed. This IS a game of treachery afterall :)

Also, I'd point out that you aren't buying weapons with these cards. Rather you are paying to train and maintain your fighters in the use of that weapon type (you'll notice on the cards it says "Training" in italics). Just flavor text, but I feel it focuses on the training of the fighters and not what they are armed with (I assume all fighters enter the arena with weapons/ armor - just that some are trained to use them better than others).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.