Subject: So what is the future for this game... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Yes, that's a Japanese CTR ring shield cut in half...
mbmbmbmbmb
...if it fails to go through on Kickstarter.

Looks like it might be fun, but I'm not ready to plunk my money down yet. I would like to try it first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Wilson
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
I'm really sad that it's not going to make it. I even upped my backing to the highest level for all the good it will do. I'm not fully aware of the nuances of kick-starter, if (when) it does not get backed are they permitted to try again?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Popow
Poland
Gdynia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you are permitted to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Ross
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Grand Master Cabalist
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It has been so heavily advertised that this is surprising.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hulgan
United States
Tucker
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Faidutti is my favorite designer but Kickstarter is one of my least favorite "services."

I really believe the kickstarter craze is on the wane and good riddance. Too many times people have backed a project at full retail prices and received the game later than people who've paid 30% less. It's happened to me enough that I'm returning to more traditional avenues to get my games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Springboard by Game Salute
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
matthulgan wrote:
Faidutti is my favorite designer but Kickstarter is one of my least favorite "services."

I really believe the kickstarter craze is on the wane and good riddance. Too many times people have backed a project at full retail prices and received the game later than people who've paid 30% less. It's happened to me enough that I'm returning to more traditional avenues to get my games.

Matt...Since Clever Mojo doesn't discount it's games you're not in any danger of other people getting it for 30% less than you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Reigns
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not really surprising. 21 days isn't enough for a game that isn't a guaranteed hit (reprints of old games that are in demand, expansions to wildly successfully funded games, something like Nothing Personal with a huge name attached). Also, the initial stretch goals were pathetic. Personally, I kickstart when a game looks great and if the stretch goals are worthwhile. I just don't have the money to fork over to everything that looks amazing, let alone something that looks ok.

From what I could tell the initial stretch goals were "Will translate into other languages" which may be selfish of me, but I really couldn't care less about. I understand they've updated their stretch goals, but none of their advertisements that I've seen/heard have mentioned this and I wouldn't even know if I hadn't subscribed to the BGG page.

Long story short, they shot themselves in the foot by starting with bad stretch goals, not getting the word out when better ones were available, and only going for 21 days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Norris
United States
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not over. This game can still make it. Share the videos and photos. I too would really love to see this game make it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
While I believe the month after Christmas is not a good month for asking people to spend money and the shorter time frame perhaps should have been prolonged as well as the lackluster stretch goals in the beginning probably have hurt the project, I have still pledged for the game. It will fill a void in the market, and is indeed looking very promising. Hopefully, it will get funded/made one way or the other. It is not that much money requested either. Look at what Colonial did if the project is not funded. Still, 4 days. The race is on!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stef Robert
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They don't really need the kickstarter to publish this game, this would be a great game that a lot of people including me would buy. But the price is a little bit high for a family game. And i think this is the reason why the kickstarter was not successfull.
This game does not need a Kickstarter, put it directly on the market at 39.99$ max, and you will sell all your stock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
If anyone would care to send me a check for $25,000 then I will be happy to publish the game right now. Running a Kickstarter project is too much flippin' work to do it just for fun. When I Kickstart a project it is because I don't have the cash on hand to publish it myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Norris
United States
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game needs help! Putting my money, where my mouth is! I just backed Formula E on @Kickstarter http://t.co/Xhu6uSP7

I don't have 25K.
I would be lucky to have 25 bucks in my pocket!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles-Louis de Maere
Belgium
Pecrot
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm going to repeat what I said on the KS comments section. If you need the money, then you have several options. The only ones that - in my opinion - will matter are high pledge levels that will ensure you get that money into your pocket.

Several successful KS projects offered multiple game pledges at a fraction of the 1 copy of the game pledge level. This is interesting as it will push game groups or individuals to get together and pledge a bigger amount of money at once. I am aware that the project's FAQ allows to get multiple copies, but there is no dedicated pledge level (no visibility) and there is no "price reduction" for bundles (no incentive).

Ground Floor: Single game was $50, multiple game levels were for $40/game, and they had pledge levels of 3x, 4x and 6x the game.

Garden Dice: Single game was $35 and 4 games was $140 (4 backers, i.e. $520!).

Other option: provide gamer packages. A high-level pledge containing the best games Game Salute can provide. This is an easy way to get some "big money" pledges, as long as they are interesting enough for backers...

a) Stratus Games (Off Your Rocker http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/stratusgames/off-your-ro...) had a bundle at $70 for the game + 2 other games, and another bundle at $100 for all their current games. That one had actually 18 backers, i.e. $1800 added to the project!
b) Minion Games (Tahiti http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/miniongames/tahiti-board...) had a Gamer package for $90. This one attracted 70 backers i.e. $6300 added to the project!
c) 5th Street Games (Jungle Ascent http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/5thstreetgames/jungle-as...) had a gamer package for $84, attracted 27 backers, which means $2268 added to their project.

Then again, I'm no Kickstarter expert... but remember that potential backers will first look at your project page (pledge levels) so you have to show interesting pledge levels and (maybe) stretch goals!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dann May
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hi! Pleased to meet you.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just want to chime in for what its worth and say this is a really excellent and elegant game. I've worked as art director on it so I may be biased, but I can honestly say I personally want this game for my collection more than almost any other game out there at the moment. For me it will be the perfect game for bringing to the table on a lazy afternoon - fun for anyone, kids, adults, gamers or anyone with a pulse I reckon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting comments, but no answer to the original question.
Will the game be published regardless of the Kickstarter outcome?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ninjabob wrote:

I'm sure it will be published and we'll be able to purchase it at a reasonable price. The whole game is obviously done, they were just leveraging Kickstarter as a preorder system. Didn't work.

Games with hired staff and art directors rarely go unpublished. My guess is the files are already at the printer ready to go, Kickstarted or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
skyzero wrote:
Ninjabob wrote:

I'm sure it will be published and we'll be able to purchase it at a reasonable price. The whole game is obviously done, they were just leveraging Kickstarter as a preorder system. Didn't work.

Games with hired staff and art directors rarely go unpublished. My guess is the files are already at the printer ready to go, Kickstarted or not.

I wish I had some money to lay down on that bet...because I'd win. Formula E is nearly complete. Yes, that part is right. But, if we do not meet the goal, IT WILL NOT JUST GET PUBLISHED ANYWAY.

You folks just are not listening. I don't have $25,000 just lying around. I paid the advance to the designers to secure the rights to the game and Game Salute put in the money for the art because people expect to see a pretty presentation. That's it.

If this project fails, I'll probably lose the license, though the designers may be gracious and extend it for another try at Kickstarter in a few months. If I lose the license, then GS also loses the money they've put into the art.

I'm not whining or crying, I'm just laying it out for the jaded and cynical people who seem to think that Kickstarter is just a marketing ploy. I take full responsibility for this failure and I apologize to Bruno, Sergio, and Andre, whom I have let down. They may never consider letting another of their games go through Kickstarter because of my failure.

I also apologize to all the backers who ARE supporting Formula E. With only 60 hours left, it seems unlikely that we'll raise the nearly $10,000 needed to achieve funding. However, PLEASE, do not cancel your pledges. If we fail, you WILL NOT be charged. There is no upside to canceling your pledge. Keep your pony...or elephant...in the race 'til the end and maybe we'll have a photo finish that we can all cheer about!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carmen Norris
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I want this game and I'd rather it not be delayed for several more months with the thinking it can be relaunched or possibly never be made.

There's a reason it's on KS. Let's spread the word and keep the momentum going. We are over 60% now and more people ARE pledging.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
Maybe all is not lost just yet...check out the new update on our Kickstarter page to see how Game Salute has sweetened the pot.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/springboard/formula-e/po...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just upped my pledge for the extra tracks. Hope it helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Norris
United States
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Same here! Extra tracks are a no brainer!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Still no real incentive to join in before trying it out, just $20 more for a 2 sided board...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
Then why not do the print and play and see for yourself? You've had the opportunity to do that since day one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So, why isn't this title one on "The Hotness" bar to the left on BGG?

Sure belongs there, and it would help getting the project funded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not much for print and play....
I know the discussion here has taken a different slant. All I really wanted to know: If this would be published if the Kickstarter failed.
Apparently it would eventually.
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.