Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You going to launch planes off a ship of the line?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Emmett
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
FULL THROTTLE
badge
"Unlike work, which needs some detachment and ought not to be taken too seriously, games need to be played with the utmost seriousness and dedication." - Bruno Faidutti
mbmbmbmbmb
kduke wrote:
You going to launch planes off a ship of the line?

Dodging the rigging on takeoff will be hell, but after that it's clear sailing. I mean flying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McFall
United States
Fort Hood
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
"Treads of Glory"

If they make a ground based game, don't call it that! Thats a term a modeler or someone like a REMF would call it.

Call it "Arms of Glory" or "Guns of Glory"; something like that. Treads of Glory somehow diminishes the World of Armored Combat

Sorry for my rant, but I don't want a game designer to see that and think "what a great name"!!!

Ok I am off my soapbox now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They are not called 'treads' anyway, they are called 'tracks'.

I would imagine the rigging would help upon landing an aircraft but maybe it's rough on the wings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blair
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for posing an idea. Clearly not a friendly community. Totally put me off this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffry Welfare
Australia
Guildford
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blair46 wrote:
Sorry for posing an idea. Clearly not a friendly community. Totally put me off this game.

Seriously! You post an 'idea' that really sort of made it clear you didn't know what setting SAILS of Glory was going to cover, and hey there are pictures of ships with sails in the game you are talking about, get a couple of really tame replies having a little bit of fun and your response is to complain about it.

Honestly, what response would you want?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Emmett
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
FULL THROTTLE
badge
"Unlike work, which needs some detachment and ought not to be taken too seriously, games need to be played with the utmost seriousness and dedication." - Bruno Faidutti
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, this is being pretty friendly. You made an honest mistake, which is fine, and we riffed on it for a couple light-hearted jokes. Nobody is being malicious, nobody was even being sarcastic, as your deleted posts suggested—in fact yours were the only posts expressing sarcasm.

Maybe we can start over. Wait—

sduke wrote:
I would imagine the rigging would help upon landing an aircraft but maybe it's rough on the wings.

Not as rough as the masts would be on the rest of the plane!

Okay, now we can start over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please. The idea is great! Even without Sails of Glory. Some people worked on carriers, here a thread telling you were to get one:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/314735/now-that-i-have-s...

Here the Enterprise:

boardgamegeek.com/image/463092/ddsmith

Others are online, for example at www.wingsofwar.org where there are battleships and more:

This very one comes from the great Merlindex's site:

http://merlindex.free.fr/spip/spip.php?article78

There were battle reports around like this one:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?9263-Carrier...

And others that I can not find now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Emmett
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
FULL THROTTLE
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. wow

I guess there are rules for carrier landings and whatnot? Level bombing can be hard enough, I wonder how many planes I'd send rolling over the bow.

Also, when I seriously considered what an air/naval WoG game would look like, my first reaction was, "Wait, how big are these ships going to be then?"

I'm gonna need a bigger boat living room.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffry Welfare
Australia
Guildford
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gravey wrote:
Wow. wow

I guess there are rules for carrier landings and whatnot? Level bombing can be hard enough, I wonder how many planes I'd send rolling over the bow.

Also, when I seriously considered what an air/naval WoG game would look like, my first reaction was, "Wait, how big are these ships going to be then?"

I'm gonna need a bigger boat living room.

I guess for landings it is pretty much lining the aircraft up on the aft of the ship so that you are flying along the deck. Then you could easily say you have caught the arresting gear and landed. Assuming you aren't using altitude rules of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Emmett
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
FULL THROTTLE
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffryW wrote:
Assuming you aren't using altitude rules of course.

Heh, yes, exactly. If my carrier-landing experience in Birds of Steel is any indication, lining up the right altitude on approach will be a handful. Thankfully at least you can't unintentionally stall in WoG, so at least I'd save myself the embarrassment of skimming the water and smashing into the aft.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrea,

We have Zeroes, Vals, and Wildcats. But no Kates, Dauntlesses, nor Devastators! How am I to recreate Midway without models for those???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dont forget TBF Avengers,Brewster Buffalos, and B17s!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.