Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dylan Romanoski
United States
Osceola
Wi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I am new to sleeving and need a little bit of help. I recently bought Arkham Horror and most of the expansions and now I need to sleeve the bajillion cards I now have. I bought a few packs of Mayday sleeves (shortly before noticing all the warnings here against them) and was really unhappy with the lack of QC on them. I would like to sleeve with FF sleeves but even in bulk at places like Potomac Distribution they are expensive in the amount I need.
I noticed on Potomac Distribution that they sell Ultra Pro sleeves in half cases of 50 packs of 100 sleeves for $34:
http://www.potomacdist.com/detail.asp?itemid=sleeveb
I understand that you really do get what you pay for, but getting these sleeves for $.64/pack has me interested. It would allow me to sleeve all the standard size AH cards and I would have plenty of sleeves left over to protect other games and tcgs. I would then sleeve the smaller AH cards with FF mini american sleeves purchased in bulk from the same retailer.
Does anyone have experience with these specific sleeves/do you feel like this is worth it? Or should I really just buck up and shell out for all FF sleeves?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your link is broken, so I can't see the sleeves you're referencing. But just going by your pricing, those sound like "penny sleeves" which are flimsy. Also, are you sure you're looking at board game sized sleeves and not CCG size, which are usually just called "standard"?

The cards in Arkham Horror are Standard American Board Game and Mini American Board Game size.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Romanoski
United States
Osceola
Wi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh, the link works for me. Anyway, yes they are penny sleeves. I came across these specifically as BGG user Callasmar (whose videos I watch frequently) uses them, and for whatever reason I don't mind them being a bit big (unless its going to cause major problems. I know penny sleeves aren't all that great, but I am just looking to protect the cards from a little wear, not anything catastrophic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
I am an avid card sleever. I have sleeved thousands of cards...except Arkham Horror. The card quality on the Arkham Horror cards are really good and with so many cards in the game individual cards really don't get that much handling. So with that in mind and the sheer number of cards in Arkham Horror I would recommend not sleeving them. I honestly don't think need is there that justifies the cost and effort.

If however you insist on doing so I recommend going with quality over cheaper quantity. If this is a game you really enjoy, will play enough that you are concered about card wear and it's worth it to you to put this much effort into sleeving this many cards I think you should go the quality route. The cheaper route in my mind is sort of like buying a nice signed artist print to hang in your living room and then framing it in a $10 art frame from Wal-Mart. If it's worth it for you to do it it should be worth it to do it right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Weird, the link works for me now. It was timing out last night. Anyway, yeah, those penny sleeves are ones that I've purchased in the past. I would recommend staying away from them. The size consistency between batches has been awful, and some even had a difference in coloring. One batch I got had a blueish tint to them.

Also, they are the wrong size for Arkham Horror, and the cards will be floating around in the sleeves. If you're still set on trying these out, go buy a single pack from a local store. At least that way you'll only be out a buck or so if you decide against them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Romanoski
United States
Osceola
Wi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think im taking mrbeankc's advice. Ill just sleeve a little at a time as I introduce more AH expansions into my play. I know its a lot of sleeves and may seem unnecessary but it makes me uncomfortable not to have them in sleeves

I did pick up a pack of the Ultra Pro sleeves locally and while it looked okay on Youtube I wont be using them for much, they do fit my Touch of Evil cards very well, so I'm going to pick up a few more packs and sleeve that with these specific sleeves.

Thanks for all the help guys, I guess I just needed to be talked into doing what I really wanted to do, just didn't want to spend the money!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.