5 Posts

Star Trek: Fleet Captains» Forums » Variants

Subject: The Homebrew Fleets Thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Custom [+] Cartas [+] Nave [+] Naves [+] [View All]
Glen Smith
Australia
flag msg tools
Hey people. Well, everyone's been talking about Whiz Kids possibly introducing a few new ships for each of the existing factions in the next expansion. That's fair enough, but what, I wonder, is stopping us, the fans, from going one better and developing entire fleets? For one thing, we aren't wholly constrained to the canon and can use semi-canon material from tech manuals, video games (especially the video games because of how nicely they fill out the Romulan and Klingon fleets) and the like to create all kinds of interesting things.

To that end, here are a few ideas of mine. Nothing terribly concrete just yet, but I'm hoping with everyone's help we can hammer out complete, playable fleets at some point heading into the future...

Alternative Federation Fleet:

The Federation is a unique case in that there are so many canon ships of different stripes that there pretty much actually are enough canon ships to make an entire second fleet with. This draft of mine does include one semi-canon ship, but it just seemed to fit in there so nicely that I couldn't rightly exclude it. A lot of you will probably disagree with me on this, but I just love this ship...

Anyway:

Size 1:

USS Pegasus - NCC-53847 - 1 Science Mission (Alt: 1 Espionage) - Phase Cloak

Phase Cloak: TBA

This ship would give the Federation some much-needed extra cloaking capacity, though I have yet to determine what the "Phase Cloak" ability would actually do... Anyone got any ideas?

Runabout - NCC varies - 1 Influence Mission - Mass Produced

Mass Produced: The first time the Runabout is destroyed, the controlling player may choose to return it to their Command Post at Undamaged condition with all modifiers, cargo, tokens and crew Discarded. If this option is chosen, the controlling player's Fleet Size does not increase and no enemy player gains a VP for its destruction.

Runabouts are remarkably tough, and can (just barely) perform some of the functions of a starship. This ship would, I figure, be very short on power like the Equinox or the Size 1 Romulan ships. Perhaps it would be even shorter on power than them, with 9 or 10 total power when Undamaged...

Size 2:

USS Stargazer - NCC-2893 - 1 Science Mission, 1 Influence Mission - Workhorse

Workhorse: Any system on Stargazer that would normally be treated as "Disabled" for any reason is instead treated as being "0".

As the ability implies, the Stargazer's normal power settings (even at Red-Alert) would include no "Disabled" systems, with the minimum instead being 0 (well obviously, because otherwise one would effectively be squeezing 'free power' out of this ship, and that's not the intention of "Workhorse". Rather, the intention is that the ship can still function slightly even after being bollocked by a Stellar Pulse or if negative modifiers during a test would normally cause the system to become "Disabled"). This ship would otherwise be a pretty standard Size 2 ship, similar to the Enterprise-A or Rotarran...

USS Bozeman - NCC-1941 - 1 Science Mission, 1 Combat mission - TBA

TBA - Special ability TBA

The idea of the Soyuz class as a combat ship has always been a chancy guess at best, but I've always figured those needily, cannony things on the ship weren't just for show, and better, I think, that the Bozeman be allowed to be more combaty when the Stargazer and Pastuer are already sciencey. Might have stats like the Korinar or Cadius.

USS Pasteur - NCC-58925 - 2 Science Missions - Hospital Ship

Hospital Ship: Any crew card that would be Trashed during a Test or Combat Pasteur is involved in is instead discarded (note that Pasteur must still be involved at the end of the Test or Combat)

Pretty standard, similar stats to the Reliant...

Size 3:

USS Zhukov - NCC-26136 - 1 Science Mission, 2 Influence Missions - Diplomatic Cruise

Diplomatic Cruise: Once per turn after moving, Zhukov may conduct an Influence action (including Influence Actions brought about or modified by Command Cards) and then move again as though it had not ended its previous movement action, up to the limit of its current engine rating.

It just seemed odd to me that the Klingons had an "influence ship" in the Kronos One and the Federation didn't (unless you count the Defiant with its 2 Influence missions and 1 Combat mission), so here it is now, a proper Influence ship...

USS Lakota - NCC-42768 - 1 Science Mission, 1 Influence Mission, 1 Combat Mission - TBA

TBA: Special ability TBA

This is your size three workhorse, much like the Excelsior from the original deck, and even the same class (albeit the Lakota is on the refit configuration, which was why I saw fit to include her). If one really wanted, they could substitute this for the Enterprise-B (and the Zhukov for the Enterprise-C), but I'm really not convinced that trying to crowbar every iteration of the Enterprise into the game is necessary. Why not give the non-Enterprises a chance to shine, especially when the Ents B and C actually had (arguably) less overall presence in the franchise than the Zhukov and Lakota?

Size 4:

USS Appalachia - NCC-52136 - 1 Science Mission, 1 Influence Mission, 2 Combat Missions - TBA

In the same way that they decided the Sabre class was powerful enough to be considered Size 3, I figured the Steamrunner class would then be powerful enough to be considered Size 4. This ship would be part-and-parcel with the Sutherland...

USS Phoenix - NCC-65420 - 3 Science Missions, 1 Influence Mission - TBA

Once again, the idea that the oval pallet on the Phoenix is a Nebula class in a "science" configuration whereas the triangular pallet on the Sutherland and others is more of a "combat" configuration is a chancy guess, but either way I figured this Federation fleet deserved to have a second Size 4 ship when the original Federation fleet was already stuck with only having one, and so here it is...

Size 5:

USS Thunderchild - NCC-63549 - 2 Science Missions, 2 Influence Missions, 1 Combat Mission - TBA

Continuing the already established trend of the Battle of Sector 001 ships, if Sabre is Size 3 and the larger Steamrunner Size 4, then logically the Akira would most likely come in at Size 5. I reckon this is a pretty cool ship to take the place of the Venture in a Federation player's fleet, though obviously the Thunderchild is a bit less sciencey than the Venture...

USS Imperius - Classified - 1 Science Mission, 1 Influence Mission, 3 Combat Missions - Battle Wagon

Battle Wagon: You earn 1 extra VP the first time Imperius completes a Combat Mission

He he... God I love this ship... If there were five good things to come out of Simon & Schuster's incredibly lacklustre Dominion Wars game, they would have to be the Jem'Hadar Strike Cruiser, the Cardassian Norin, Tonga and Hutet classes and, of course, the mighty Achilles:

http://www.simonandschuster.com/specials/dominionwars_site/S...

Sure, she might look a little goofy, but like the also goofy-looking Prometheus, she's a badass of the highest proportions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=iF...

Just remember, the stranger looking the Federation ship, the more dangerous she probably is. And speaking of strange looking ships...

Size 6

USS Enterprise (refit) - NCC-1701-D - 2 Science Missions, 2 Influence Missions, 2 Combat Missions - TBA

TBA - Special Ability TBA

Some may despise the changes made to the model for the All Good Things Galaxy, but I honestly think they work. They do give the refitted Enterprise-D a strange appearance, but as we've seen, goofy just seems to mean more badass in Starfleet. This is one ship I'd really, REALLY like to come up with a special ability for beyond that boring "Nine Lives" stuff the other two Enterprises have, though I suppose you could make this ship's special "Nine Lives" as well if you wanted...

Overall, this fleet has a total Size value of 38 (the same as the core Klingon and Federation fleets), and contains 16 Science Missions, 12 Influence Missions and 10 Combat Missions to the original Federation deck's 17, 12 and 9. This fleet, purely by composition, is bound to feel a little more smashy than the original Federation Fleet, but that was part of the intention.

Anyways, please do let me know your thoughts and ideas so far. New Klingon and Romulan fleets are coming soon, and, of course, the actual stat-blocks and remaining special abilities of the fleet I have devised here still need to be filled in (as well as any ship changes made if there are any ships in particular you guys feel ought to be swapped out for a different ship).

Edit 1: Added mission listing for a possible alternative Espionage-focused USS Pegasus card.

Edit 2: Dear God, I can't believe I forgot about the Budapest... blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Heidebrecht
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done! I like what you have done here - some interesting options and obviously you have put time into staying true to both the canon and to the game!

I will have to think about some of the ideas for ship powers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Gray
msg tools
mb
Really great thread. You know your source material and game mechanics. As a suggestion, what was the name of the ship Riker was on that used the prototype device that allowed it to phase through matter? It later got stuck in an asteroid. Is that the phase cloak you are referring to? There would be cool possibilities with that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Derksen
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
designer
armoredgear7.net
badge
Heroes of the Aturi Cluster dockingbay416.com/campaign
mbmbmbmbmb
cabelos wrote:
Really great thread. You know your source material and game mechanics. As a suggestion, what was the name of the ship Riker was on that used the prototype device that allowed it to phase through matter? It later got stuck in an asteroid. Is that the phase cloak you are referring to? There would be cool possibilities with that.

That was the USS Pegasus, which he's got

For it's Phase Cloak ability, I'd suggest something along the lines of being able to perform various actions while cloaked (having stats for sensors and weapons on it's cloaking click).

While the thematically-appropriate ability would be to allow it to move through stuff, I thought of the breakaway roll, but those are already unnecessary with cloaking devices in this game.

Alternatively, the rules say a cloaked ship must stop on an unexplored tile. Perhaps the Pegasus does not? Maybe it "may pass through any number of unexplored tiles, but treating each as size 4" or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Smith
Australia
flag msg tools
I definitely appreciate the votes of confidence, guys. I'm thinking maybe the Pegasus could treat explored regions (perhaps only certain types thereof) as being half (round up) of their normal size for the purposes of movement while cloaked. This would nicely represent the ability of the ship to phase through obstacles such as planets, while still not actually being faster than a regular Oberth class ship.

Actually, when I created that fleet I tried my best to pick ships that were (at least conceivably) ships that might still be active in the Federation fleet as of the end of the Dominion War. The Pegasus and the ATG Enterprise are obviously the exceptions to this, but other than that the Pasteur's low registry number suggests she would have been around long before the alternate future of All Good Things, we know the Bozeman was at the Battle of Sector 001 (her name and, possibly, Kelsey Grammer's voice make cameos in the com chatter), and given that the USS Victory was still in service during the Dominion War, it seems quite possible the Stargazer was repaired and returned to service after the events of the "The Battle" as well. Actually, given that it's quite possible that the Excelsior and the Enterprise-A (after being re-renamed back to USS Yorktown, of course) remained in service as well, that means my fleet has the same number of confirmed-destroyed (or rather, confirmed never-existed in the case of the ATG Galaxy) ships as the original fleet. XD

Anyway, I think I've done enough nerding off for the time being, so without further ado here is the my second fleet offering:

Cardassian Fleet:

Oh yeah... You probably thought it was going to be the Klingons or Romulans, didn't you? Well, no... I'm afraid the semi-canon just has far, FAR too many awesome Cardassian ship designs for me to pass up. Note, by the way, that some of the names are taken from the canon and the rest from the names of Cardassian vessels of unspecified classes that appeared in Star Trek novels...

Size 1:

Hideki Patrol Ship - 1 Influence Mission - TBA

Special Ability TBA

Oddly, it seems as though these poor little beggars don't get names of their own except in Star Trek: Armada II. Since the Cardassians treat them like glorified shuttles (much like Federation runabouts but a little more shooty), it seems reasonable to just give the player a random, unspecified Hideki in-game as well...

CDS Baknab (Rasilak class) - 1 Combat Mission - Microorganisms

Microorganisms: At the beginning of the game (not when Baknab is a reinforcement), take the "Polywater Intoxication" Encounter Card out of the Encounter Deck and shuffle it into your Command Deck. If "Polywater Intoxication" is in your hand, you may spend an action to play it on an enemy ship in Baknab's location. The player on which "Polywater Intoxication" is played cannot recieve VPs for the Encounter's completion.

The Baknab is a member of the Rasilak class, lightly armed and armoured vessels which utilise their speed to make quick strikes against enemy ships and then escape before any retaliation. In Armada II, the vessel possessed a special ability in which it would deploy microorgasnisms to eat away at a target ship's hull. I figured deploying "Polywater Intoxication" onto an enemy ship was the closest ST:FC had to such a thing. Of course, this could easily be changed if people think this is no good as a special ability...

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Rasilak_class

Size 2:

CDS Rhelinn (Norin class) - 1 Influence Mission, 1 Combat Mission - Pack Hunter

Pack Hunter: Rhelinn recieves +1 Weapons for each additional ship beyond itself that it participates in an attack with (this bonus remains even if these additional ships are subsequently forced out of the combat before it is resolved).

The Norin class is considered to be the Cardassian answer to the Defiant class... hunters that are designed to strike rapidly and hard, often in groups... I ran out of unspecified novel ships, so the name is instead taken from the Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Dominion Wars game itself...

CDS Pa'Dan (Sartan class) - 1 Science Mission, 1 Influence Mission - TBA

Special ability TBA

The Sartan class is a heavily armed but lightly shielded destroyer (naturally, this should be reflected in its stats), but seems by appearances to be slightly more "fleet standard" than the Norin, hence its non-combat mission spread. After all, I can't just load all the small Cardassian ships down with nothing but combat missions. These guys' ain't Klingons, after all, and even the Klingons only have 1 Combat mission amongst three Size 2 ships. XD

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Sartan_class

Size 3:

CDS Alkar (Brinok class) - 1 Science Mission, 1 Influence Mission, 1 Combat Mission - TBA

Special ability TBA

The Brinok is a long range patrol ship, and as such could be expected to get into all kinds of different scrapes, hence the balanced mission types. The ship herself is a fairly typical cruiser and should stand alongside ships like the Excelsior and Kolothos just fine... In Armada II, she has a special ability that involves launching swarms of remote-controlled drones at enemy ships, something I found hard to reflect in ST:FC. Perhaps you can think of a way of implementing them or, perhaps, think of a totally unrelated ability that would be good for the Alkar?

Note: In Star Trek: Armada II, the Brinok class has a cloaking device. If this were implemented here, the Alkar would have an alternative mission spread of 1 Science, 1 Influence and 1 Espionage.

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Brinok_class

CDS Olxinder (Gul Vystan class) - 2 Science Missions, 1 Influence Mission (Alt: 1 Science, 2 Espionage) - TBA - has cloaking device

Special ability TBA

The Gul Vystan class is a cruiser-sized scout ship frequently used for espionage missions, hence it definitely gets to retain its cloak even if we decide that the Brinok doesn't, and thus would have an Excelsior/Kronos One style card for alternative Espionage missions accordingly. The name comes from a ship in a Star Trek novel whose Gul tricked a bunch of desperate Klingons, planning to get what he wanted and leave them hanging. Seemed appropriate for a sneaky ship. :3

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Gul_Vystan_class

CDS TBA (Tonga class) - 1 Influence Mission, 2 Combat Missions - Blockade Runner

Blockade Runner - Any time TBA attempts to Breakaway or Evade (or is part of a Task Force that attempts to do so), the effective Size of the opponent's ship(s) present is halved, round up. This does not apply if the ship(s) present have a total Size of 3 or less.

The Tonga class is converted from an outdated starship design, the result of which was a clumsy but heavily armed and shielded blockade buster intended to battle the Klingons. I find the idea of a slow ship being good at Breakaway curious, but it is what the Tonga class' fluff suggests, so I went with it. The wording of the special ability is intended to reflect that one would likely be better off attempting to intercept the vessel with a single, more nimble vessel rather than deploying the kind of "wall" of powerful ships the ship is designed to break through. Unfortunately, my copy of Dominion Wars doesn't work anymore, so I don't yet have a name for the Tonga class ship...

Size 4:

CDS Vetar (Galor class) - 1 Science Mission, 2 Influence Missions, 1 Combat Mission - TBA

Specail Ability TBA

The more eagle-eyed and elephant-memoried among you may recognise this as Gul Evek's ship from several episodes of TNG and DS9, as well as the Voyager pilot. Prior to this ship, the closest thing the game has had to a Size 4 ship with a "balanced" focus is arguably the Sutherland...

CDS Reklar (Galor class) - 2 Influence Missions, 2 Combat Missions - TBA

Specail Ability TBA

It really came down to a choice between this (Gul Lemec's ship in "Chain of Command") and the Aldara, which was Gul Damar's ship in "Past Prologue". Ultimately, I feel the Reklar and her commander had more overall presence in the show, and her status as flagship of a Cardassain taskforce fits with the mission spread I needed her to have, as the spreads of the two Galors were actually assigned last. And yes, I know it might seem odd to have two Galors when every other Cardassian ship on this list would be a unique cast, but it just seemed fitting in order to properly reflect just how bloody many of these bastards the Cardassians had...

CDS Vendikar (Kulinor class) - 3 Science Missions, 1 Influence Mission - TBA

Special Ability TBA

The last of the vessels I've included from Star Trek: Armada II, the name is taken from an unspecified Cardassian science ship from the novels. Obviously, the Vendikar should have stats and a special ability that reflects its sciencey nature and this would, interestingly, be the first sciency Size 4 ship in the game alongside my own USS Phoenix. It's special needn't necessarily be based on any of the ship's special abilities from Armada II, but certainly could be...

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Kulinor_class

Size 5:

CDS Koranak (Keldon class) - 1 Science Mission, 2 Influence Missions, 2 Combat Missions (Alt: 1 Science, 1 Influence, 1 Combat, 2 Espionage) - Pride of the Obsidian Order - has cloaking device

Pride of the Obsidian Order: TBA

Despite the fact that she was destroyed and I do my best to avoid destroyed ships, the Koranak is the only named Keldon class ship in the canon, so my hands were kind of tied on this one, much like with my necessity to give the Federation a second cloakable ship through the Pegasus. Uniquely, the Koranak is the only Size 5 ship in the Cardassian fleet, reflecting their unique mid-size heavy composition (no other fleet in the game has as many Size 3 and 4 ships). The ship itself should have balanced stats, perhaps like those of the Devoras...

Size 6:

CDS Hutet (Hutet class) - 2 Science Missions, 3 Influence Missions, 1 Combat Mission - Mothership

Mothership: By spending an action, Hutet may "establish" itself as a temporary base of operations, allowing Size 1 and Size 2 ships to take repair actions in the location Hutet occupies even if there is no base. This ability cannot improve a base's existing ability to repair ships. Hutet may perform other actions while "established", but is automatically "disestablished" if it moves to another location for any reason or takes an engine test, and may not voluntarily move after being "established" until the start of the Cardassian player's next turn. Hutet may not "establish" in a location known to require an engine test at the end of the Cardassian player's current turn (such as a black hole).

Phew... That special ability sure is a mouthful, 'ey? But it's fitting for a vessel to which Norin class ships can dock and was designed to perform planetary invasions all by itself. Note that I made "Mothership" as complex as it is because I thought small ships being able to repair in the Hutet's location any time they wanted might be overpowered. please let me know if you guys disagree, because it'd be good to make the rule a little less complicated if at all possible. XD

Anyway, the way I figure it, the Hutet should (and indeed this applies to most Cardassian ships) have more power (total 27?) but be slower than the Negh'Var, Enterprise-E or Valdore. As for the ship itself, like the Achilles class also from Dominion Wars, I absolutely adore the Hutet, both because it looks amazing and because it makes a perfect Cardassian flagship... a mighty, seemingly all-powerful monolith of a vessel around which a swarm of Galor class cruisers swarm... a presence so intimidating and overwhelming as it bares the flag of Cardassia that it absolutely ensures that no one will EVER forget the name and might of the Union...

...right up until it gets blown to absolute shit by the Imperius, anyway... XD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFuR8NJd9Kw

Well, there you have it (such as it is in its presently uncompleted state), folks! Overall, this fleet too has a total size of 38, and contains 10 Science Missions, 18 Influence Missions and 10 Combat Missions, with I think appropriately reflects the imperialistic "expand or die!" mindset of the Cardassian Union, as well as providing the game with an Influence-focused fleet as a counterpoint to the Science-focused Federation, the Combat-focused Klingons and the Espionage-focused Romulans.

It is also the first fleet to emphasise mid-range ships to the point where they lose out on a Size 5 ship, but the diverse collection of Size 4 ships should hopefully make up for it. Indeed, the spread seen here nicely reflects the seeming Cardassian penchant for producing large quantities of mid-range ships that don't quite stand up to the best the Federation has to offer in its Galaxy and Sovereign class starships. Besides, it's something different while still being Size 38, which is, to my way of thinking, always welcome.

Again, please feel free to share your ideas. There's still an awful lot to do if this fleet is to become playable. We need to create a deck of 100 command cards for it, for one thing. ^^;

Edit: Modified the mission spreads for the Koranak and Vendikar from 1,3,1 and 2,2 to 1,2,2 and 3,1, bringing the Cardassian mission totals to 11, 16 and 11 instead of 10, 18 and 10.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.