BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: What games should I buy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Buddha Meeple
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
“It is a civilizational wake-up call. A powerful message—spoken in the language of fires, floods, droughts, and extinctions—telling us that we need an entirely new economic model and a new way of sharing this planet.” ― Naomi Klein
badge
“Climate change has never received the crisis treatment from our leaders, despite the fact that it carries the risk of destroying lives on a vastly greater scale than collapsed banks or collapsed buildings.” ― Naomi Klein
mbmbmbmbmb
Cyclades, Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game, The Castles of Burgundy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Low
United States
Hayward
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From my collection, I would recommend taking a look at:

2-Player Confrontational:
Summoner Wars: Master Set (may be 4-player as well)

Party Games:
Ca$h 'n Gun$
The Resistance: Avalon

Co-op:
Flash Point: Fire Rescue
Sentinels of the Multiverse
Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1812: The Invasion of Canada
Lords of Waterdeep

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WJ MacGuffin
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride is a "classic" and lots of fun. Easy to learn but with some good strategic depth.

Castle Panic is a great cooperative game like Pandemic but much easier to learn and play. That said, it has less depth than Pandemic. (By the by, don't buy Forbidden Island because it's the same basic rules as Pandemic.)

I'm not sure if Dominionstarted the whole deck-building craze, but it's the reason behind the craze. Ascensionis similar but, in my opinion, better.

Arkham Horror is even more complicated than 7 Wonders, but it's a dark coop game with lots of replayability.

Lastly, hit Youtube and look for the web show Table Top (by Geek & Sundry). It shows folks actually playing these kinds of games (such as Pandemic and Dixit) so you can get a feel of how a game plays before you buy anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Rivet
United States
Pine City
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Well "la de" freck'n Da!
badge
The "Dennis System".
mbmbmbmbmb
wjmacguffin wrote:
Ticket to Ride is a "classic" and lots of fun. Easy to learn but with some good strategic depth.

Castle Panic is a great cooperative game like Pandemic but much easier to learn and play. That said, it has less depth than Pandemic. (By the by, don't buy Forbidden Island because it's the same basic rules as Pandemic.)

I'm not sure if Dominionstarted the whole deck-building craze, but it's the reason behind the craze. Ascensionis similar but, in my opinion, better.

Arkham Horror is even more complicated than 7 Wonders, but it's a dark coop game with lots of replayability.

Lastly, hit Youtube and look for the web show Table Top (by Geek & Sundry). It shows folks actually playing these kinds of games (such as Pandemic and Dixit) so you can get a feel of how a game plays before you buy anything.

Some like Thurn and taxis better than TTR, also Airlines europe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dewald van der Merwe
Canada
Kamloops
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wjmacguffin wrote:

Yeah I've watched a few of the Table Top reviews. They do a good job at explaining the games. I've played ticket to ride before and really enjoyed it. Not sure about Dominion, I haven't had a chance to play it yet. Thanks for your suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Petersen
Denmark
Svendborg
flag msg tools
badge
The bigger the problem, the bigger a hammer you'll need!
mbmbmb
How many players? Can you manage 5/6 players?
And which games do you like?
A few things, that would help - no reason to recommend you games, that shines with more than 4 players, if you aren't so many around the table

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dewald van der Merwe
Canada
Kamloops
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StormP wrote:
How many players? Can you manage 5/6 players?
And which games do you like?
A few things, that would help - no reason to recommend you games, that shines with more than 4 players, if you aren't so many around the table

Yeah I forgot to mention that. My regular group size is 4-6 people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Petersen
Denmark
Svendborg
flag msg tools
badge
The bigger the problem, the bigger a hammer you'll need!
mbmbmb
Thank you.

When you've Pandemic, I wouldn't recommend you to get Flash Point: Fire Rescue right away. It's pretty much the same game, IMO, but I find Pandemic better - you can buy it later, but save your money for something else at this time.

Domnion is good, but I began to find it boring, after I fell in love with Thunderstone. Dominion and Thunderstone are almost the same, but Thunderstone got this fantasy setting with a dungeon, that I just love.

But I would recommend you to get Cyclades and Railways of the World - two games, that shouldn't be played with less than 4, which you usually are. I think I read about a 6 player expansion for Cyclades not long ago, but I'm not sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.