Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven McBride
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a certain fascination with WWI, and I am looking for a WWI solo game. It seems like 90% of solitaire games are WWII games. So are there any WWI solitaire games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United Kingdom
Gloucester
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't speak from experience except to say that I've been looking for a WWI game (or two) for a while now as well.

But it might help to know a bit more - are you looking for the whole war or a particular battle or a certain theatre? And are you looking for a game specifically designed to be solo or simply one which works well solo?

As a starting point I think Grand Illusion: Mirage of Glory, 1914 looks interesting - and not expensive.

At the other end of the scale are monsters like The Great War in Europe: Deluxe Edition. I've just picked up a second-hand copy and the forums suggest it is solo-able.

SPW are just (re?) printing a range of WW1 games (Western Front, Eastern Front, Italian Front, Ottoman Front and others) which I think can be combined using a further set of campaign rules. Maybe that can work as a modular system if you have the space, cash and perseverence for that kind of thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McBride
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! Ill look into those.

If it is designed to be played solitaire, that would be ideal. If it can be played 1-X, that is also good, as long as the solo mode alone is worth the purchase. I am not really looking for a multiplayer game that can be played solo (unless its just that great), as there are other subjects (WWII, Napoleon, Ancient Warfare) that have great solitaire games, and those would be a priority.

As far as a certain battle or the whole war, at this point if it is WWI and is a great solo game, I'll take it! I am not going to be picky. Although WWI aerial warfare has a great deal of interest for me. I have been eyeing Bloody April, 1917: Air War Over Arras, France, but have not yet been convinced its worth the purchase for solo only.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Boeke
United States
La Crescenta
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stemcider wrote:
I have a certain fascination with WWI, and I am looking for a WWI solo game. It seems like 90% of solitaire games are WWII games. So are there any WWI solitaire games?

A few from my collection:

- Wings Over France
- Luftschiff
- The Kaiser's Pirates
- Eindekker
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McBride
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kiowapilot wrote:
stemcider wrote:

A few from my collection:

- Wings Over France
- Luftschiff
- The Kaiser's Pirates
- Eindekker

Thanks!
I will be looking into those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McBride
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ive been playing D-Day at Omaha Beach and thinking how well a similar system would work for a WWI trench warfare game. DDaOB does a great job of getting across that feeling of the slow, bloody scamper up the beach, with all plans going to hell, and I feel like a trench warfare game would need to feel similar: a slow, chaotic, bloody battle to advance some 250 yards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan van der Laan
Netherlands
Leeuwarden
Friesland
flag msg tools
badge
Als u begrijpt wat ik bedoel.
mbmbmbmbmb
Not covering the whole war but a fun little game and a purely solitaire game is Ottoman Sunset.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
Belgium
De Panne
Bachten de Kupe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stemcider wrote:

First, I would be interested in some designed-for-solitaire WWI games too.
I own Ottoman Sunset, which is a fairly simple States of Siege game about the struggle for survival of the Ottoman Empire.

Second I play another WWI VPG game (and a great one I think) solo a lot: Trenches of Valor. This game about WWI trench raiding, even if designed for 2 players, plays very well solo I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hecker
Australia
Kallista, jewel of the Dandenongs
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm playing Grand Illusion: Mirage of Glory, 1914 solo and this works brilliantly as a solo experience. The plans-go-awry mechanism makes the battles interesting and the limited number of command points makes for few but important decisions. Recommended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maréchal de Camp
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy to solo play:

Death in the Trenches: The Great War, 1914-1918

Storm of Steel

World War I

Paths of Glory

Bloody April, 1917: Air War Over Arras, France

and with some home made rules and extensions:

Wings of War: Burning Drachens
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
S&T`s "Meuse-Argonne: Lost Battalions" is designed to be played solitaire or with two players. Just be sure to use the Living Rules available on-line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Caligari
United States
King of Prussia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are some quick solitaire games, heavy on theme but very light on realism:

Les Nettoyeurs

Stormtrooper
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Spak
United States
Spencer
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second the recommendation for The Lost Battalion: The Meuse-Argonne Offensive, 1918, available and affordable, and a pretty good solitaire game!

Smaller, harder to find First Day of the Somme, offers a simple and stark example of attrition warfare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fabbro
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
St. George's Valour.

Don't have it myself, but it is WWI and it is solitaire. Looks interesting...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam D.
United States
Suquamish
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second Minden Games Somme. Good luck finding it though. If you could get permission from Jim Graber of Minden for me to make a copy of it, I'd be happy to, it's a pretty small format game that fit into a small format magazine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Boeke
United States
La Crescenta
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blacksmith61 wrote:
St. George's Valour.

Don't have it myself, but it is WWI and it is solitaire. Looks interesting...

I forgot about this one, but it is a good little game (and still easily available from mb).

I set up a GeekList with the games I know about (or heard about in this thread): http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/152605/the-great-war-solit...

More feedback is always welcome...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Holen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
teufen wrote:
stemcider wrote:

First, I would be interested in some designed-for-solitaire WWI games too.
I own Ottoman Sunset, which is a fairly simple States of Siege game about the struggle for survival of the Ottoman Empire.
Really enjoy Ottoman Sunset

Fun game with a surprising amount of decisions and tension despite its initial simplistic look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
ulhh wrote:
I enjoy to solo play:

Paths of Glory

Do you have a system for the cards when soloing Paths of Glory? From my experience with CDGs in general and playing PoG in particular, that hand management and hidden information is critical to the tension, especially with the way certain card plays/combos affect war status (I'm thinking of you, Moltke/Falkenhayn). I've tried soloing the game and haven't gotten anywhere with it -- it's too hard to "forget" what cards are being held by my "opponent."

In general, I'd advise against buying a game with hidden information (like CDGs or block games) to adopt to solo-play -- there are too many good hex-and-counter games that offer a better solo experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to get some more feedback on my 2012 bgg solitaire game design competition entry Advance Guard 1914. I know it is not very well developed, but I hope to fix it someday, and it is easier to fix it right the more I know about what is broken.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/806508/wip-2012-pnp-soli...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McBride
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pelni wrote:
I would love to get some more feedback on my 2012 bgg solitaire game design competition entry Advance Guard 1914. I know it is not very well developed, but I hope to fix it someday, and it is easier to fix it right the more I know about what is broken.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/806508/wip-2012-pnp-soli...

Ill check it out! Im not sure how soon that will be but I am saving up for a good printer now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluck
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whisky_bear wrote:
ulhh wrote:
I enjoy to solo play:

Paths of Glory

Do you have a system for the cards when soloing Paths of Glory? From my experience with CDGs in general and playing PoG in particular, that hand management and hidden information is critical to the tension, especially with the way certain card plays/combos affect war status (I'm thinking of you, Moltke/Falkenhayn). I've tried soloing the game and haven't gotten anywhere with it -- it's too hard to "forget" what cards are being held by my "opponent."

In general, I'd advise against buying a game with hidden information (like CDGs or block games) to adopt to solo-play -- there are too many good hex-and-counter games that offer a better solo experience.

Paths is one of my favorite games solo. You're right that knowing both hands diminishes an important aspect of the game, but for me not critically because luck, the units position on the board, war level, MOs and replacement points play such a huge role in determining strategy. You're not playing poker solitaire since very few cards 'trump' others, in the first turn the CP plays as if the Allies have Moltke in their hand until it's played or discarded and the few other are cases are rare and relatively unimportant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hidden Among the Leaves
Greece
Heraklion
Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Red Poppies: WWI Tactics can be easily played as solo. A very good game!

M.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stemcider wrote:

I like digging trenches in my backyard during the muddy season... zombie

Seriously, I play Paths of Glory Solitaire, yes I do. For the turn card play I randomly draw half of what I still have in my card hand for each side, remove one card that I don't want, and chose between the rest, keeping leftovers CC to play in the combat phase if any.

Works surprisingly well. But then I am known for my "split personality" bouts of dementia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
licinius wrote:
stemcider wrote:
Great, now I have an image of Carl in a muddy trenchcoat, huddled in his backyard trench, lobbing mustard gas canisters at the cautiously approaching police.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
licinius wrote:
stemcider wrote:
Great, now I have an image of Carl in a muddy trenchcoat, huddled in his backyard trench, lobbing mustard gas canisters at the cautiously approaching police.

NO RETREAT!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.