Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roy Romasanta
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Should one (forty) even attempt to do this? Is this crazy or even slightly do-able? Has anyone already done this during pre-release play-testing?

Please comment, rearrange the board orders, add/remove expansions and help make this work! (unless, of course, this is totally and utterly crazy!)

Required:
5 sets of 7 Wonders games
1 set of Leaders expansion (Stevie, Louis and Esteban included)
1 set of Cities expansion
1 set of Myths expansion

Boards arranged in this order, all side A (I've tried to adhere to the Game Balance rules, but for the "Generic Considerations." The boards are arranged so that the starting resources are spread out and not bunched together.):
I've added the expansion to the boards that require them.

Temporal Paradox
Roma (Leaders cards start here)
Catan
Ephesos
Antiocheia
Olympia
Rhodos
Alexandria
Halikarnassos
Petra
Nomades
Roll Through the Ages
Babel
Byzantium
Yamato
Capua
Ankor Wat
Uruk
Babylon
El Dorado
Sparta
Rapa Nui
Gizah
Ithake (Myth cards start here)
Citadels
Atlantis
Venezia
Brigadoon
Dominion
Lhasa
BeiPing
R'Lyeh
Tartaros
Persepolis (Cities cards start here)
Helvetia
Caylus
Manneken Pis
Cupertino
DoppelWonder
Chichen Itza

The Age cards start evenly spaced at every 8th player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
rrromasanta wrote:

What's the point of even playing if you're going to do this? Just play 5 separate games simultaneously. All you're doing now is making it possible for a player to see the same card more than once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shima Tetsuo
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
laugh
That would be crazy indeed !!
There are some problem though...
Temporal Paradox needs some wonders left aside.
Rapa Nui and DoppelWonder can only be played with the teamplay variant.
You could swap them with the ones already available from the Wonderpack (bad quality, but still playable).

Also there would be some problems with the expansions. Some players will have cards from expansion some won't. So for Cities, some players will start with 8 cards in hand and some with 7. Or maybe there is something I don't understand (that's always an option...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Romasanta
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wizcreations wrote:
rrromasanta wrote:

What's the point of even playing if you're going to do this? Just play 5 separate games simultaneously. All you're doing now is making it possible for a player to see the same card more than once.

My understanding:

In 7 player games, each player never sees the same hand that they started with; the cards run out before they ever get a chance to reach them again.

Additionally, the more "+" cards that are added in to the initial distribution at the start of each Age (because of the number of players), the more duplicate cards are passed around, although in a 7+ player game, these duplicate cards are not the same cards the players might have seen earlier.

Since this is already the rule in the base (7 player) game, players will never see the exact same card more than once.

To expand on my statement earlier,

rrromasanta wrote:

Every eighth player is given a full 7 player deck of Age I, II and III cards. To better illustrate this, below are 13 players. Player 1a is given the Age cards. (for the full 40 player game, this pattern is repeated around the table):

2e--3e--4e--5e--6e--7e--1a--2a--3a--4a--5a--6a--7a *

At the start of Age I, Player 1a evenly distributes the Age cards to the people on his left (himself included). This is no different than a normal 7 player game.

Game continues as per the normal 7 player rules.

At the start of Age II, Player 1a evenly distributes the Age cards to the people on his right (again, himself included). Again, this is no different than a normal 7 player game, other than the fact that during later Age II play, Player 1a is now influencing the card selection choices of the players on his right (instead of the players to his left as in Ages I and III). Note, that since this is a different Age, the card selection that each of the players on his right receives should be no different than the card selection any one of them would receive in a normal 7 player game.

Game play continues per the normal 7 player rules.

At the start of Age III, Player 1a evenly distributes the Age cards to the people on his left (himself included).

Game play continues per the normal 7 player rules.

In my proposed 40 player game, each player is playing not against all 40 players, but against the 6 players to his left and the 6 players to his right. The main difference here is that each of the 40 players are playing against different sets of 12 players than everybody else.

* - I realized in making the diagram above, that 8 player games are only available in the Cities Expansion. For my proposed 40 player game, that would mean having 5 copies of the Cities Expansion(!) or else change it from a 40 player game to a 35 player game or even a 42 player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Romasanta
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shima san wrote:

There are tons of "extra" wonder cards from the 4-5 other copies of 7 Wonders just lying around the big 35/42 player game!

Shima san wrote:
Rapa Nui and DoppelWonder can only be played with the teamplay variant.
You could swap them with the ones already available from the Wonderpack (bad quality, but still playable).

It's a shame not to include them, but unless there are 5/6 copies of the Cities Expansion so that all players on the table can have the option of playing in teams, these two cards would have to be replaced with two of the "extra" wonder cards lying around the table.

Shima san wrote:
Also there would be some problems with the expansions. Some players will have cards from expansion some won't. So for Cities, some players will start with 8 cards in hand and some with 7. Or maybe there is something I don't understand (that's always an option...)

When I originally thought of this, I was thinking that each set of 7 players would be a core set.

2e--3e--4e--5e--6e--7e--1a--2a--3a--4a--5a--6a--7a--1b

In this diagram, Players 1a to 7a would all keep the expansion cards among themselves. In other words, these particular players would pass their Leaders (or Cities or Myths) cards back to the other players in their core: for Age II, Player 7a would pass his Leader (Cities/Myth) cards to Player 1a, not Player 1b.

This might make for an unfair advantage between core sets of players, unless each core set of players each have their own Expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shima Tetsuo
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rrromasanta wrote:
Shima san wrote:

There are tons of "extra" wonder cards from the 4-5 other copies of 7 Wonders just lying around the big 35/42 player game!

Tsss... that's obvious... how could I miss that ! blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hazel
United States
Sammamish
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The most I have ever tested was several eight player games. I have had at most about 30 people playing at once during playtest. On average about 10-15.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.