Dan Leighly
United States
Missoula
Montana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Hi my name is Dan Leighly aka MontanaDan

I am new here so I hope this is the proper place to post a New Announcement for my Kickstarter Project.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1524748395/treasure-gate...

I just started a campaign on KickStarter yesterday for my Boardgame Treasure Gate.
The object of the game is to collect points, defeat a dragon,
receive a gate card, find a treasure card, and collect a treasure.
When a player has done all that, they are ready to exit.

In order to win the game, a player must have the following:

150 Points, or more. (This can be changed, players decide)
A Gate Card (A Gate Card opens your Gate)
A Dragon Card (Proof that you Defeated a Dragon)
A Treasure Card (A License to Collect Gold)
And a Treasure (A Gold Doubloon Card)
Players must exit the game through their Starting Gates.
During play, there will be plenty of chances to explore and
treasure hunt, but beware, there are traps and hidden dangers.

Treasure Gate is a fun and exciting game, with a lot of twists
and turns.

The game is fully explained with a video on my KickStarter page.

Please take a look. Thanks Dan Leighly

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1524748395/treasure-gate...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Dan and welcome,

can you please share the rules for the game, so that we have a better undestanding of how it works?

It is hard to tell from the looks only (as it resembles Monopoly too much)...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Leighly
United States
Missoula
Montana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Can you tell me where in Monopoly you Search for Gold, Fight Dragons, use Time Portal Gates, find your way out of a Cave, or off an Island?
No Free Parking in this game my friend. Only One will Survive. Will it be you? I hope so. I will check into the rules for you. I don't know if I am supposed to upload those or not. Dan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
MontanaDan wrote:
Can you tell me where in Monopoly you Search for Gold, Fight Dragons, use Time Portal Gates, find your way out of a Cave, or off an Island?

Sounds like Talisman (Revised 4th Edition) to me cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Leighly
United States
Missoula
Montana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I've never played that game, but I looked at it. I think there is alot more magic and monsters in it. This is more like Indiana Jones. Dan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Volk
United States
Richfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.mortificationofspin.org/
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats on the KickStarter campaign, MontanaDan! I think you did a great job coming up with multiple support levels including a print and play option.

Best of luck to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MontanaDan wrote:
No Free Parking in this game my friend. Only One will Survive. Will it be you? I hope so. I will check into the rules for you. I don't know if I am supposed to upload those or not. Dan

Well, as I said - hard to say without the rules

And yes, you can upload/share the rules anytime. Don't worry, no one is goint to "steal" from them, every board game designer has plenty of his own ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
mbmbmbmbmb
MontanaDan wrote:

I believe he was referring to the fact that the board appears similar to Monopoly, with its 11 spaces per side, larger corner spaces, spaces on which you draw cards, and a roll-and-move mechanism. The stuff you mention is all just theme and flavor, and has nothing to do with how the game plays or what other games it is similar to.

And really, "Roll a 5 to defeat the dragon", "Roll a 3 to get out of the cave"? This isn't going to excite many people.

Edit: And really, "Roll a 5 to defeat the dragon", "Roll a 3 to get out of the cave"? This isn't going to excite many people here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
BeyondMonopoly wrote:

I believe he was referring to the fact that the board appears similar to Monopoly, with its 11 spaces per side, larger corner spaces, spaces on which you draw cards, and a roll-and-move mechanism. The stuff you mention is all just theme and flavor, and has nothing to do with how the game plays or what other games it is similar to.

And really, "Roll a 5 to defeat the dragon", "Roll a 3 to get out of the cave"? This isn't going to excite many people.

It might excite some people, it all depends on the market he's going for. Kickstarter reaches a pretty wide range of the public.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Burke
United States
Belmont
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Dan,

I have had 4 successful projects on Kickstarter and my 5th just reached its goal.

Your project is not going to make it unless you have a large network of friends and family who will pledge.

Let me tell you why it won't make it, not because I want to hurt your feelings, but because I want you to succeed. I know how hard it is to develop a game and to run a Kickstarter campaign.

So here are what I believe your issues are and a suggestion for each on how to fix it.

1. Your art and graphic design are poor - How a game looks it extremely important to Kickstarter success. The design is very cluttered and amateurish. Your first order of business should be to hire and artist and graphic designer to do a complete overhaul. You can find many great ones here on the BGG forums. If you do not have the capital to pay for all of the art and design up front, do a box image, or a couple cards, something that will give backers a sense of what the game will look like.

2. It's a roll and move game - Roll and move games simply do not get funded on Kickstarter. History proves this out. I believe that roll and move games fill a great niche for people who don't consider board gaming their hobby, but board game success on Kickstarter is driven by board gaming hobbyists, and 99.9% of them won't go near a roll and move game.
Think about how you could remove the roll and move element. How can you change the game to have more strategy? How can you incorporate unique mechanics to make it more interesting? Again, not that there is anything wrong with roll and move games, but it is exceptionally difficult to get them funded on Kickstarter if not impossible. Replace the roll and move mechanic with something more unique, or at least something more loved by the board game community.

3. You're not asking for enough - $5,000 is no where near enough to produce a high quality board game with a full board, box, dice, pawns, tokens and cards. You would need at least $20k to create a minimum run of good quality games with the components you have here, and that's in China where labor is inexpensive. $5k might cover shipping if you're lucky. Maybe you plan on making them one at a time yourself? This is a big red flag to people. People don't want games that you make yourself on a home printer, they want high quality. You need to ask for more and let backers know how it will be manufactured to ensure them they will get something quality.

4. Rules - as some others have stated, you need to post the rules. Most people won't pledge to a game unless they can read the rules to get a sense of if whether it may be a game they will enjoy.

5. Video - The content of your video was ok, but the quality was poor and there was no music. Use a tripod so it's not so shaky, add music. Try to improve the quality. This one is far less important that the previous 4, but a more professional video would help put backers at ease.

Hopefully you will take these suggestions to heart, they are not meant to hurt your feelings, but to help. It is obvious that you have done a lot of work on this, but to succeed there is more to be done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
It might excite some people, it all depends on the market he's going for. Kickstarter reaches a pretty wide range of the public.

True enough. I edited my response.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Leighly
United States
Missoula
Montana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Thanks for yout input. The game is designed for approximately 10 to 12 years of age and up, so yes it is a simple concept, but fun all the same. The people at Kicjstarter recommend coming here and posting on this site about the Kickstarter Campaign, so I did. I have never been to this site before, so I was just following their advice. As far as exciting people on this site, I assumed alot of the people here might have kids. Anyways thanks. Dan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Leighly
United States
Missoula
Montana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Thanks for taking the time to tell me all of this. I appreciate all your help. I have seen a number of childrens games get small funding on KickStarter 3000 and up. I assumed there was an audience for more simple games, more for kids than anything, but maybe I am wrong.

As far as my art and graphic design, the cards really look nice, and the board is colorful, and laid out well. I see alot of games on kickstarter with funding that very simple drawing like pictures on their cards, so I don't see why my game looks bad. All of the cards are nice digital art. Anyways, I like the design. As far as cost, I have covered my cost for product production, and shipping, and still have a profit, and no I am not making the game myself.

I will take your advice to heart, thanks again, and I will get the rules out, and probably up load a better video. Thanks again Dan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Leighly
United States
Missoula
Montana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Thank you my friend. Dan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Leighly
United States
Missoula
Montana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Here is a link to download the rules. Dan
http://www.montanadan.com/treasuregaterules.pdf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Leighly
United States
Missoula
Montana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Thanks for the info, I will look at those other games, and consider what you have said. This is more of a childrens game, and as such, this was probably NOT the best place to post about it. Kickstarter recommeded coming here and posting, so I did. Thanks, Dan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Dan,

couple comments on the rules:

1. Why not having a track to mark points for players? Pen and paper is tediuos and a scoring track is nowadays a regular part of a game.

2. Have a clear Turn structure. You have many "may"s, but jump between the options for a player during a Turn erraticaly.

2a. A player has 2 actions during his Turn - what are they? What can he do? You never mention it...

3. "Players must discard any extra cards once per turn." - when during the Turn? An unclear definition prone to debates.

4. "Throughout the game, players will be told to pick either an adventure, or explorer card from the decks, and follow those instructions." - when are they told? How does this work?

5. "Many cards require the player to perform certain actions, and to make use of various tools. If a player does not perform the action, or have the needed tool, that player will be unable to continue play, until they have the needed items." - this right there is a show stopper. I would never include only one way through an obstacle in a game. This effectively means that under non-favorable circumstances (i.e. bad card draw) the player is stuck and cannot do anything about it. This is an anachronism from older games which should be avoided at all costs and an alternate solution should always be available!

6. You jump between topics back and forth and have no structure in the rules. Start from the top level (what the game is about and what the players must achieve to win), work your way down (game contents, their brief explanation and how the Turn structure looks like) and then expand on the details (what does a player do during movement, what does he do during card draw, when can he use cards that he has etc.).

7. The battle with a dragon is too strict on the player, you could at least allow a re-roll or two. In your current way the player is again stuck at his current position and the battle might drag on indefinitely, while the player loses his points steadily and others progress further.

8. As the rules stand now I would be very hazy on play details - the only clear thing I know is how to move (Monopoly-Gangnam-style).

9. 10 points for passing your Gate? Again, bad-old Monopoly... Certainly there are other bonuses you can come up with...

Was the game playtested outside of your family and friends, especially with "blind testers" that had to read the rules and learn the game by themselves? This often proves the game's worth (or not) and I am afraid without you being there they would have too many questions, in the vein of the above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Weihrauch
Germany
Frankfurt
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also reconsider the "villain" or "boss fight" and HOW to defeat him. A knife to defeat a dragon?

Just imagine a 3-4m+ dragon and the average 1,8m adventurer facing a dragon with a knife.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Leighly
United States
Missoula
Montana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
You made some good points, and some things I did not consider. Thank you for taking the time to explain some of the faults in the rules. I will start working on changing those. You had some good suggestions on how to make them better understood. Thanks for your help. Dan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Leighly
United States
Missoula
Montana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I will consider a more realistic weapon. Thanks, Dan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Leighly
United States
Missoula
Montana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I am looking at some of your suggestions about the movement on the board. Also, do you think I should use two dice, instead of one die?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Leighly
United States
Missoula
Montana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Yes this was directed at you, Giagen. I am a little confused as to where I reply to each message, I thought at the bottom of the message, is this right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Leighly
United States
Missoula
Montana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Joe, is something like this better?

On each turn, players will do the
following:

1st Action: Roll the die, and move that many
spaces on the board. A player may
only move forward.

The Player receives the points for what ever
space they land on, also if a Player lands on
a space with the same number as the die roll,
they receive double points.

2nd Action: All Players must draw one
card from the Treasure Deck each
turn, read the card aloud, and follow
the instructions.

3rd Action: The player may also play any single
card from their hand, following the instructions
on that card.This Action is the Player's choice.

Once a player has played any card, the
card is then discarded into a discard
pile. A player can have up to five cards
at any time in their player area, but no
more than five. Players must discard
any extra cards in their hand, to end their turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
MontanaDan wrote:
Yes this was directed at you, Giagen. I am a little confused as to where I reply to each message, I thought at the bottom of the message, is this right?

Instead of clicking Reply, click Quote (right next to it). It'll be a reply, but, quoting the message you are replying to.

And Welcome to BGG!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MontanaDan wrote:
Joe, is something like this better?

On each turn, players will do the
following:

1st Action: Roll the die, and move that many
spaces on the board. A player may
only move forward.

The Player receives the points for what ever
space they land on, also if a Player lands on
a space with the same number as the die roll,
they receive double points.

2nd Action: All Players must draw one
card from the Treasure Deck each
turn, read the card aloud, and follow
the instructions.

3rd Action: The player may also play any single
card from their hand, following the instructions
on that card.This Action is the Player's choice.

Once a player has played any card, the
card is then discarded into a discard
pile. A player can have up to five cards
at any time in their player area, but no
more than five. Players must discard
any extra cards in their hand, to end their turn.

Dan, yes, this is a step in the right direction. I would recommend reading some existing rules for well-known games here on BGG to get a picture of what a good ruleset looks like and what it entails.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.