15 Posts

Friday» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question: Ageing-cards and pirates.. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
K L
msg tools
Hello,

Let's assume I have to fight against a hazard-card, that allows me to draw 3 cards.

First card is an ageing card with effect "-1 life"
Second card is a card that gives "2" fighting-power
Third card is a card with effect "destroy one card".

Can i know use the third card to prevent the effect of the ageing card? Or do I have to use this effect?

____

When it comes to defeat the pirates. The rules say I can only use the cards in the robinson-deck-pile. Let's assume I do only have 10 cards left in this pile, since the other cards are in the discard-pile? Isn't this quite hard?
Or, as it happened yesterday, I had almost the full robinson-deck-pile and draw as many cards as i needed. After defeating the first pirate, I did not have enough cards left to defeat the second.

Do i understand the rules right or is there some strategy ? :/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Kvothe91 wrote:
Hello,

Let's assume I have to fight against a hazard-card, that allows me to draw 3 cards.

Can i know use the third card to prevent the effect of the ageing card?

Of course.
Quote:
Or do I have to use this effect?

Friday rules wrote:
-1 life: At the end of the fight you must pay 1 (additional) life point to the reserve

That card's effect takes place at the end of the battle, not when you draw it.

Quote:
____

When it comes to defeat the pirates. The rules say I can only use the cards in the robinson-deck-pile. Let's assume I do only have 10 cards left in this pile, since the other cards are in the discard-pile? Isn't this quite hard?

Friday rules wrote:
If you need or want to draw one or more fighting cards from the Robinson stack, but there are not
enough cards left to draw, you draw the remaining cards until the stack is depleted. Afterwards you
must take the topmost face-down aging card from the aging stack and shuffle it into the fighting
cards (Do not look at the aging card!). Place all cards back on the storage board as the new
Robinson stack and draw the missing cards.
You only shuffle the Robinson discard pile, if you need to draw another fighting card (not already at
the time, when you draw the last remaining card of the Robinson stack).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radosław Michalak
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
Gaming is for having fun. Fun requires clear rules.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kvothe91 wrote:
Hello,

Can i know use the third card to prevent the effect of the ageing card? Or do I have to use this effect?

That's the main reason why you have Destroy in your deck. And -1 life is applied only after battle if you didn't destroy or change that card.
Quote:
Or, as it happened yesterday, I had almost the full robinson-deck-pile and draw as many cards as i needed. After defeating the first pirate, I did not have enough cards left to defeat the second.

Do i understand the rules right or is there some strategy ? :/

You can only use cards from Robinson deck, but as alwyas, when it's empty you shuffle discard pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K L
msg tools
Hello,

thank you very much.

The Problem with this "Pirate"-Question is:

The rulebook says, (I try to translate it as good as possible into english),
that

'If you have drawn all fighting-cards during a fight against one pirate, and you do not have enough fighting-points to win this fight, you lose."

So, I think this means that i am not allowed to shuffle the discard pile, when the drawing-pile runs out of cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Kvothe91 wrote:
'If you have drawn all fighting-cards during a fight against one pirate, and you do not have enough fighting-points to win this fight, you lose."

So, I think this means that i am not allowed to shuffle the discard pile, when the drawing-pile runs out of cards?

No, it does not mean that. It means if you have drawn ALL of your fighting cards (i.e. your draw deck AND your discard pile are both empty), then you lose.

You can always draw a card from your fighting deck if you have any cards left in it or the discard. If the fighting deck is empty, then reshuffle the discard pile (adding an aging card) to make the fighting deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K L
msg tools
Thanks!

Having done this, I finally managed to win my first game on level 1.

Thank you! =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Deuber
United States
Baldwin
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, maybe Sphere will chime in to confirm, but I thought the aging card that is -1 life happens immediately, not at the end of the fight. I dont have the rules in front of me right now, but thought I would say something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henning Kröpke
Germany
Ascheberg
Germany
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mdeuber wrote:
Hey, maybe Sphere will chime in to confirm, but I thought the aging card that is -1 life happens immediately, not at the end of the fight. I dont have the rules in front of me right now, but thought I would say something.

Never say something without a lawyer or the rules in front of you

As the rules quote: "At the end of the fight you must pay 1 (additional) life point...". Same is true for the aging card "-2 life".

And the quote is even correct with the bold part...

Have fun playing Friday,

Henning
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Deuber
United States
Baldwin
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dang, I incriminated myself blush

Thanks for correcting me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Henning wrote:
mdeuber wrote:

Never say something without a lawyer or the rules in front of you

Nor without reading the earlier comments in the thread, where the relevant rule was even already quoted...!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kvothe91 wrote:
Hello,

thank you very much.

The Problem with this "Pirate"-Question is:

The rulebook says, (I try to translate it as good as possible into english),
that

I believe this means after you have drawn and played all your fight cards, if at that point you do not have enough points to defeat the pirate - you lose. As opposed to ending in a tie or other game-locked position.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um
badge
Motherless Brooklyn - Jonathon Lethem
mbmbmbmbmb
mdeuber wrote:

Ya can't pin nuttin' on me!

I've answered in the past that the -1 life happens at the end of the fight, here for instance.

(It's a rare, rare day when Russ and I disagree about the right answer to a rules question for any game. If it did happen, I'd listen very carefully to what he had to say, and triple check my own answer! As for Henning, he's the right hand of Friedemann when it comes to Friday rules.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Deuber
United States
Baldwin
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hehe, to add insult to injury, I've been playing it wrong.

Cruising the rules forums once in awhile is never a bad idea. However, I've demoted myself back to lurker.ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
mdeuber wrote:
Cruising the rules forums once in awhile is never a bad idea.

Definitely! In all seriousness, I make it a habit to read through the rules forum of pretty much every game I get into, after I've played it once or twice (so I have some experience and context to grok the threads). It's quite helpful for uncovering little misunderstandings and solidifying my understanding!

Edited to add: And subscribe to the rules forum!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um
badge
Motherless Brooklyn - Jonathon Lethem
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Definitely! In all seriousness, I make it a habit to read through the rules forum of pretty much every game I get into, after I've played it once or twice (so I have some experience and context to grok the threads). It's quite helpful for uncovering little misunderstandings and solidifying my understanding!

You and me both, brother. No wonder we usually come up with the same answers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.