Hide
7 Posts

CO₂» Forums » General

Subject: Is CO2 repetetive compared to Puerto Rico/Agricola? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
e o
msg tools
I'm not a board game expert, but is this interpretation correct or not?

My thinking is that in Puerto Rico and Agricola, for each thing you place on the board, your options increase, so near the end of the game, you get more and more things to do.

However, in CO2, your options remain almost constant, regardless of what you place, and once you've researched everything or people have built enough, your options actually decrease near the end of the game.

I've only played one 2 player game, so far, but we honestly ran out of things to do...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Hub
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would agree that the decision space of CO2 is not increasing that much as in Uwe Rosenberg's games like Agricola or Ora et Labora. I actually like this style, because these other games become sometimes rather overwhelming at the end. But I would not call it repetitive. In my understanding repetitive rather means that each time you play the game, the way the game evolves is pretty much the same. In that regard I would call Puerto Rico repetitive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
e o
msg tools
That's interesting. Could you please elaborate as to why you think Puerto Rico is more limited than C02?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The short answer is probably "Agricola, yes; Puerto Rico, no."

The long answer is that "repetitive" is not a word that, for me, makes much sense applied to CO2. Games that are primarily about building things can get repetitive when you tend to build things in the same order, exploit the same synergies, and/or the unfolds in a similar pattern each time. These are games where what you do on a turn is an important part of the story being told by the game. This is why some people find Puerto Rico repetitive -- certain combinations of buildings are seemingly always used together, and a consistent pattern of play emerges over time.

CO2 isn't really a game about building things (though outwardly it appears to be). It's largely a game about obstructing your neighbors' opportunities and making due with the terrible opportunities your neighbors left for you. The buildings are a tool in that activity, rather than an end in themselves. In that respect, it has more in common with abstract games: Is Tigris and Euphrates repetitive ("I see you're employing the 'build temples close together' strategy again")? Is Bohnanza ("I swear I went the Blue Bean route last game")? It's a game where what you do doesn't matter as much to the overall story of the session as why you're doing it, and the why changes frequently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Thomashow
United States
Dublin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have only played CO2 with two players. I think the 2 player version is repetitive in the sense that you are engaged in the same process repeatedly. That's OK if the process is interesting. However, I found CO2 as a two player exercise relatively uninteresting. The opportunistic challenges are not as dynamic as I imagine they are in a multiplayer game. After playing CO2 four times as a two player game I am not interested in playing it again. However, I can see that with more players things can get much more interesting because there is more human behavior to assess!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it comes down to how much you see and care about the texture of what's going on in the details of Co2, rather than big events in PR like "woohoo--I just built a ______"!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
e o
msg tools
I just want to update that I tried CO2 with 4 players this weekend, and it was interesting and fiddly once more, but for me it was more of the same. Although it's still good, I'm also still worried about how long this game will last.

By contrast, we played Tzolk'in immediately after, and oh, my I want to play it again just to try all of the different things I can do in it, which I felt I didn't get a chance to.

Everyone still thought both games were great, and they are. I guess only the future will tell how the re-playability of CO2 will hold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.