Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Dominion» Forums » General

Subject: I dont know if I cant upload this file or not.... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hector Cornejo
United States
Orange
Ca
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a PNG I made out of the "trash" Card that you play with in Dominion that's a 5x5 inches square (so 12.7x12.7 centimeters for you Euro types) that basically acts as a mat to place your trashed cards. I added a minor border around it to match the interior of the card, which looks rather nice.

anyway the question is that since its not a variant of the game (its an outright modification of an existing card into a place mat) I would assume it breaks the terms of agreement and I cant upload it without finding the developer and begging him to let me post it online?

What's your opinion? I found it useful in our last games and I believe in sharing something like this but I dont want to cheese off the developer especially when i love his game so much lol.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wheels
Australia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Donald is a BGG member (donaldx) and frequents these forums - he'll probably pop by soon to let you know!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Donald himself will probably be fine with it, it's the publisher that's more of an issue I think. I guess wait until he pops around to give a definitive answer, but I suspect he'll be fine with it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Destry Miller
United States
California
flag msg tools
I suspect you may wait a while. As long as you're not trying to sell it or claim it's an official Dominion product I doubt Donald X or Jay will object, but I'm also certain they won't endorse it either.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Sebathius wrote:
anyway the question is that since its not a variant of the game (its an outright modification of an existing card into a place mat) I would assume it breaks the terms of agreement and I cant upload it without finding the developer and begging him to let me post it online?

It sounds to me like this is a question for BGG admins. They have whatever ToS they have and that's that; they probably aren't making an exception for you. I personally posted some images of preview cards on BGG, and I got permission, since it said I had to.

I can't make decisions for RGG but I'm sure Jay won't care if you post such an image on your own website somewhere, where BGG has no jurisdiction. You could also post it at dominionstrategy.com. If you want to get actual permission, you will not find it hard to locate RGG.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Oi! Hands off...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a difficult time believing either designer or publisher would block this.

**warms up laminator**
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Cornejo
United States
Orange
Ca
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
donaldx wrote:
Sebathius wrote:
anyway the question is that since its not a variant of the game (its an outright modification of an existing card into a place mat) I would assume it breaks the terms of agreement and I cant upload it without finding the developer and begging him to let me post it online?

It sounds to me like this is a question for BGG admins. They have whatever ToS they have and that's that; they probably aren't making an exception for you. I personally posted some images of preview cards on BGG, and I got permission, since it said I had to.

I can't make decisions for RGG but I'm sure Jay won't care if you post such an image on your own website somewhere, where BGG has no jurisdiction. You could also post it at dominionstrategy.com. If you want to get actual permission, you will not find it hard to locate RGG.


Thanks for your quick attention to the post, Donald. I was reading the Terms of Agreement when considering posting the pic and it said that unless I had something along the lines of if you had the blessings of the author or designer then original product items are pretty much off limits....that's what gave me pause to actually post the item.

If you are okay with me posting it, do you mind if I direct the admins to the thread here in the comments section of my submission for their consideration?

BTW while I enjoy the game, My wife is addicted. She literally bugs me every time we sit down to play Dominion over all games we play. We probably will be funding a child of yours (if you have any) through college if you keep making expansions LOL.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sebathius wrote:
donaldx wrote:
Sebathius wrote:
anyway the question is that since its not a variant of the game (its an outright modification of an existing card into a place mat) I would assume it breaks the terms of agreement and I cant upload it without finding the developer and begging him to let me post it online?

It sounds to me like this is a question for BGG admins. They have whatever ToS they have and that's that; they probably aren't making an exception for you. I personally posted some images of preview cards on BGG, and I got permission, since it said I had to.

I can't make decisions for RGG but I'm sure Jay won't care if you post such an image on your own website somewhere, where BGG has no jurisdiction. You could also post it at dominionstrategy.com. If you want to get actual permission, you will not find it hard to locate RGG.


Thanks for your quick attention to the post, Donald. I was reading the Terms of Agreement when considering posting the pic and it said that unless I had something along the lines of if you had the blessings of the author or designer then original product items are pretty much off limits....that's what gave me pause to actually post the item.

If you are okay with me posting it, do you mind if I direct the admins to the thread here in the comments section of my submission for their consideration?

BTW while I enjoy the game, My wife is addicted. She literally bugs me every time we sit down to play Dominion over all games we play. We probably will be funding a child of yours (if you have any) through college if you keep making expansions LOL.

Reread his post.

donaldx wrote:
I can't make decisions for RGG

It's not his call to make. That would be Rio Grande Games, the publisher.

donaldx wrote:
If you want to get actual permission, you will not find it hard to locate RGG.

Try http://www.riograndegames.com/
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Sebathius wrote:
Thanks for your quick attention to the post, Donald. I was reading the Terms of Agreement when considering posting the pic and it said that unless I had something along the lines of if you had the blessings of the author or designer then original product items are pretty much off limits....that's what gave me pause to actually post the item.

If you are okay with me posting it, do you mind if I direct the admins to the thread here in the comments section of my submission for their consideration?

It doesn't make any sense that I can approve this - I don't own that image, someone else does. I don't want to pretend to give permission that isn't mine to give, even if that's good enough for BGG. I don't mind if you post a modified Trash image, and I don't imagine Jay (RGG) will mind, and I don't mind who you tell that I don't mind, but it's still not my image.

Gamers' spouses are a key demographic for Dominion. Okay I have no real data there, but lots of anecdotal data. Anyway I'm glad to have them.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Griep
United States
North Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sebathius wrote:
BTW while I enjoy the game, My wife is addicted. She literally bugs me every time we sit down to play Dominion over all games we play. We probably will be funding a child of yours (if you have any) through college if you keep making expansions LOL.


New rallying cry for buying and playing Dominion: Do it for the (alleged) children (of Donald X)!~
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Cornejo
United States
Orange
Ca
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Im sorry I totally misunderstood when you said RGG, didnt connect the two lol. I get it now.

Thanks anyway! :D
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.