Subject: My apologies due ebay link rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Oscar
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some days ago I posted an ebay link with promo figures, I didn't knew it wasn't allowed to post ebay links.
So my apologies to the community =S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Gaskill
United States
Bridgeton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I nearly had a heart attack when the prices popped upsurprise
But I never knew it wasn't allowed either.ninja

OD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Ibarzabal

Campinas
Sao Paulo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I have seen ebay links before, and I am also surprised to know it is not allowed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Holttum
United Kingdom
Southend on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mestre dos Magos wrote:
I am also surprised to know it is not allowed

Got to say, so am I - and after going and reading the Forum Rules and Site T&Cs, I am still pretty much in the dark. I spotted references to not "promoting good sor services", but I thought that was meant to apply to things like "hey, why not visit my webstore or take advantage of my figure painting service", rather than a link to a non-commercial ebay auction.

Please note - I'm not arguing the ruling (I think!), just saying that I could well have fallen foul in the same way: having read the rules, I'd have been under the impression that there was no problem with a note to an ebay listing......depends of course on what was being listed, I suppose!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, in that link there was just 3 promo figures, no so fancy.
And yeah, if I remember correctly, I'm pretty sure I saw ebay links here, in the forums.

Anyway not complaining =).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian or some other admin can probably explain it better, but the no Ebay links rule is there to prevent a bunch auction threads being spammed all over the site. That's what the Ebay module on each game's page is for. People subscribed to a particular game and chose to be notified when Ebay auctions are posted, will get a notification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the mods are getting a bit zealous (note I'm not saying 'over zealous') of late because of the various "BGG is going to the dogs" threads.

Maybe you should have posted the ebay link in Hot Deals, and then a link to that thread here...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
I think the mods are getting a bit zealous (note I'm not saying 'over zealous') of late because of the various "BGG is going to the dogs" threads.

Maybe you should have posted the ebay link in Hot Deals, and then a link to that thread here...

Umm, no. Ebay links do not belong in Hot Deals. They belong in the Ebay module for the game in question. The mods are not "getting a bit zealous", those have been the rules as long as I've been here (6 years).

A summary of the Hot Deals rules has been pinned to the top of the Hot Deals forum. Perhaps you missed it?
What's a hot deal?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hugh_G_Rection wrote:
Scorpion0x17 wrote:

The mods are not "getting a bit zealous", those have been the rules as long as I've been here (6 years).

You appear to have not noticed the part where I stated clearly that "I'm not saying 'over zealous'".

Zeal is merely "ardently active, devoted, or diligent" that is not a bad thing.

And I was not criticising the mods for being "ardently active, devoted, and diligent".

Hugh_G_Rection wrote:
Umm, no. Ebay links do not belong in Hot Deals. They belong in the Ebay module for the game in question.

A summary of the Hot Deals rules has been pinned to the top of the Hot Deals forum. Perhaps you missed it?
What's a hot deal?

My mistake.

I should have said "maybe you should have posted the ebay link in the ebay module for that game, and then posted a link to the ebay module for zombicide here...".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
You appear to have not noticed the part where I stated clearly that "I'm not saying 'over zealous'".

My comment was directed more to your use of the word "getting". Enforcement of the rules is not something new.

Scorpion0x17 wrote:
I should have said "maybe you should have posted the ebay link in the ebay module for that game, and then posted a link to the ebay module for zombicide here...".

Pretty sure that's still a no. It would be same as people posting in GeekBay / Hot Deals that they've added games to their Marketplace listing. The Marketplace and Ebay modules will trigger alerts when new items are posted for the people that want them.

I'm not a mod, so it you want to discuss the finer points of BGG policy, or get an official statement, you should contact Octavian.

Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
There is an eBay module on every game page specifically for sharing eBay links - for your own auctions or any other that you find and feel like sharing.

We don't want them in the forums because A- they are often self-promoting (and thus violate the forum rules) and B- they would quickly become a nuisance if everyone followed suit.

If you find eBay links somewhere then it is likely because it wasn't reported to an admin. We're pretty diligent about cleaning them up whenever we're notified of them, as was the case with the Zombicide thread.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hugh_G_Rection wrote:
Scorpion0x17 wrote:

My comment was directed more to your use of the word "getting". Enforcement of the rules is not something new.

Does everything have to be qualified to the n'th degree?!

Yes, of course enforcement of the rules is not new, but the mods will have times when they're enforcing those rules more than at other times, that much is human nature and is avoidable, one thing that may cause such an increase in enforcement is people expressing a negative opinion of the nature of the posts in the forums, again that much is human nature and is unavoidable.

Now maybe it is merely my perception, but it certainly seems to me that, maybe due to the several 'bgg is going to the dogs' threads that have appeared recently, maybe not, maybe both things are the result of the forums actually going to the dogs, I don't know, but it does appear that, the mods have increased the enforcement of the rules.

That is all I am saying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
There is an eBay module on every game page specifically for sharing eBay links - for your own auctions or any other that you find and feel like sharing.

We don't want them in the forums because A- they are often self-promoting (and thus violate the forum rules) and B- they would quickly become a nuisance if everyone followed suit.

If you find eBay links somewhere then it is likely because it wasn't reported to an admin. We're pretty diligent about cleaning them up whenever we're notified of them, as was the case with the Zombicide thread.

-MMM

Is not even saying "Hey look at this ridiculous thing on ebay!" not allowed?

Or if one does want to post something like that does one then have to go around the houses and describe how to find said ridiculous thing without actually posting a link to it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
Octavian wrote:

-MMM

Is not even saying "Hey look at this ridiculous thing on ebay!" not allowed?

Those show up in the Chit Chat forum on occasion, and they are allowed to stay there. It's a judgment call at times on what is ridiculous and what is something someone would actually bid on. Game promos can go for astronomical amounts and still continue to get bids.

IMO you don't need a link to an item to discuss how ridiculously priced it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
IMO you don't need a link to an item to discuss how ridiculously priced it is.

Understood. I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.