Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Johan Pettersson
Sweden
Höllviken
Skåne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At last, after nearly 1 month of waiting, we sat down to give the Mille Miglia a try.
We had a very good time but some questions arised.

1. When do I repair
When you do som repairing in field, let say I change Spark Plug (1 turn to change). Can I change SP the same turn I set the speed to 0, or do I have a "Change turn" after that before I can start again.

2. Who moves first
It is not clear in the rules, who moves first during a turn. We assuemd that it was the leading car (the car closest to finish line) that moved first, as you move in Formula DE and Leader 1. Is this correct? And who meves first when you are side by side, the one that arrived there first, the one that arrived there last, the one with highest speed?

3. Average race time
When you calculate the race time you divide the actual number of squares you had moved with the the actual number of round that you have used. We had a race where one of our cars went the longest way in the curves and ended upo 4 turns after the winning car, but as he had traveled a longer way his average time was still very close to the winner. This feels a bit strange as we "saw" a time difference of 20 minutes, but had a calculated time difference of about 7.

4.When to half the repairing time
When I do repairingf and have a mechanical skill. Do I repair at half time at the fixed repair points also, ie will it only take a quarter of time. And do I add all the rapiring I want to do and half afterwardss or do I halculate each item apart with a minimum of 1,

5. Skidding movement
When you skid, do the skidding squares count as movement points, or is this movement a "bonus" move
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Amaddeo
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Johan! I hope you didn't wait 1 month to receive the box, but just to find some time to test it laugh (seriously, let me know if you had such a delay for shipping reasons!)

Fantastic questions!

1) This is the correct procedure in detail: let's say on turn 50 your spark plug failed. On turn 51 you decide to stop for some field repairs . The rulebook says you don't need to slow down up to stop (you can do it as optional rule, though), so when planning turn 51 you write 0 on your speed log, put your car out of the road and fix your spark plug (or whatever) during turn 51 (spark plug repairing time is 1 turn). On turn 52 you can restart from 0: write your speed on your speed log, put your car again on the road and move on (you should perform a standing start test).

2) Maybe the rulebook is not clear on this point: I'll fix it up. At the start of a stage you have a starting line-up based upon the ascending displacement order (at stage 1) or upon the racing time (the one with best time starts first). That will remain the movement order during the entire stage. For example, if you have the best racing time, I've got the second time and Alfred the third, this will be the moving order for the entire stage, even if I overtake you, or if Alfred is side to side with me. Let me know if it's still unclear! Another small note: if at the end of the stage, I'm the race leader because my time now is better than yours, on next stage I'll move first!

3) I feel something wrong in this question, so I want to be sure you are doing the right thing before answering in detail: you have to divide the sum of SPEEDS (and not moved squares) by the actual number of TURNS. Check if you are doing the right thing and let me know. However, I know this point is nasty: we are working on a new system where you don't need to make calcs we are testing it right now. When it will be ready, it will be available here on BGG and on our website FOR FREE!!!

4) If you have a Mechanical skill your repairing times are reduced by 1 turn only. You halve your repairing times at Technical Assistance Points ONLY!! When you are at a T.A.P. your mechanical skills are not counted because it's just like a pit stop during a Formula 1 race: other people do things for you. In any case, any half point is dropped! So, for example, you fix your Timing Belt at a T.A.P.: the normal repairing time is 3 turns, but at T.A.P. you just need 1 turn (cool, huh?!). However the any repairing time cannot last less than 1 turn, so a tire change lasts 1 turn both during a field repair and at a T.A.P.

5) skidding is a bonus movement point: it doesn't count.

Keep on playing and make me any question may arise!

Have a great day!!

Carlo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Pettersson
Sweden
Höllviken
Skåne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Carlo
Thanks for your swft reply. We all appriciate designers who cares for their "babies".

Don't worry about my waiting, it was totally dependant on me, as I was working abroad when the game arrived (You maybe remember that we had an issue with Paypal during the time of Essen Fair).

Thanks for the clarifications, But I still has some problems with the time calculations (question 3).

If I understand it correctly it is like this then.

You calculate your average speed by dividing the sum of speeds by the number of turns you have been driving.(incidently: the speed is also the number of squares you have moved). After this you divide the length of the distance of the race, a fixed number, by the averagge speed and you the get the time for the race.

So it is more important to have a higher speed then to pass the finish line first and to have the shortest time in a race. In our race, the cars A and B started on the same turn, and A passwed the line 4 turns before B. But we discovered that the diference in average speed was smaller then expected as B had chosen a longer way to drive. So the "observed" time diference was 4*5=20 minutes, but the "calculated" time difference was about 7 minutes (if I remember it correctly).

So I think it possible in a tight race, for a car to use more turns in a race and still to have a higher average speed and by that winning over a car that chooses a shorter route, moving slightly slower but still enering ahead of the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Amaddeo
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You point out a matter on what we are working at (and actually testing) right now. As anticipated, we expect to launch a new time calculation system based upon the "Observed" race time as you call it that, in few words, is the number of turns to finish the stage.

As you reported, there's a big difference between the Observed and the calculated race time and this arises many issues we are trying to figure out at this point.

About your last statement, it intrigues me: I kindly ask you a couple of days to make some tests on it, because this could be the key to rule out a lot of problems. I'll let you know in few days with a tested answer!

Thank you for your help!

Carlo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, Carlo, I've seen this myself. A car that kept up a higher average speed, by taking the longer route through the curves ended up taking more turns to complete the race, but calculated out to a shorter time.

Seems like you ought to add time to every turn taken, in excess of the minimum turns it took, to complete a stage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Thorp
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JRC_Firewalker wrote:
You point out a matter on what we are working at (and actually testing) right now. As anticipated, we expect to launch a new time calculation system based upon the "Observed" race time as you call it that, in few words, is the number of turns to finish the stage.

As you reported, there's a big difference between the Observed and the calculated race time and this arises many issues we are trying to figure out at this point.

About your last statement, it intrigues me: I kindly ask you a couple of days to make some tests on it, because this could be the key to rule out a lot of problems. I'll let you know in few days with a tested answer!

Thank you for your help!

Carlo

I noticed this during my first play last night. Has there been a revision to the time calculation since January?

Thanks!

The difference was made much more pronounced when I had a car that ended a game turn one space before the finish (a flying arrival). It then accelerated by max amount and logged a very high speed for the last turn. The rules say to write the full actual speed on the Speed Chart. This resulted in a high average speed. The car took 9 turns to complete the stage, but it "beat" another car that finished in only 7 turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.