Jawn Bee
msg tools
Hello,

I am trying to set up board and I am still not sure I understand how to place the Black Mountain tokens.

The rules say that the tokens are placed on all regions with "a symbol", without saying what that symbol is. I've looked at the board and can find the symbol for the volcano, "no entry" and monsters---but nothing that indicates where black mountains should go. From the diagram of the setup in the rule book, it seems that the black mountains go on the regions which have black mountains, which begs the question: why do I set up the game to place symbols onto symbols already printed on the board? What purpose does the tokens serve? It doesn't change the map layout (which is what I'd expect if they were tokens unaffixed to the board, for example like the volacno token is positioned during the game). It just seems... clumsy? What am I missing? Am I meant to just place the black mountain tokens over the existing black mountains on the map? Really?

I also don't understand why I need to place two monster tokens on the monster region, when it would seem slightly more elegant to just place one and say "you require two tokens to defeat each monster token". What purpose does it serve if all regions occupied by monsters have TWO tokens and you have to defeat both at once? It seems somewht clumsy to require two pieces of cardboard when one would suffice, because adding two suggests that there is a degree of variability which doesn't seem to be present in the game---or am I missing something? Is it possible to attack a region and only leave one monster token, which may weaken that region without conquering it?

It seems to me that I can throw away half of the monster tokens and all of the black mountain tokens without changing the game at all (*), and that seems somewhat inelegant to me. Is my understanding of this part of the setup correct?

cheers
John

(*) other than noting that it requires 3 tokens to conquer any region with a monster token.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
omar
Switzerland
commugny
Vaud
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps a waste of cardboard, but I always found the following principle useful:
Conquering terrain requires 2 tokens + 1 token for each cardboard piece on terrain.

O)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jawn Bee
msg tools
... except that rule doesn't apply for the relics / important places (which are also pieces of cardboard), right? So it seems a bit weird if the cardboard serves as a reminder that its +1 race token, except if the cardboard isn't one of the +1 tokens...?

But, ok, as long as I am not missing some subtle point about the game and they do seem kinda useless, then. Thanks for your reply =)

cheers
John

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ramon Ostolaza
Peru
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zurzu wrote:
Perhaps a waste of cardboard, but I always found the following principle useful:
Conquering terrain requires 2 tokens + 1 token for each cardboard piece on terrain.

In fact this is exactly the reason why, and it is very simple to remind you that the places, relics are the exception to this. Simple and elegant...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
To the OP -

The idea is a little outdated with the Underground, but it is a carry over from the original Small World, which had no relics and you could truly say "2 + number of cardboard pieces" is the amount needed to conquer a region.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Basically the reason is this. Every piece of cardboard in this game grants defense in increments of 0, 1 and infinity.

For the most part all the pieces grant 1.

Pieces that grant infinity are denoted by the unique shape or the red circle with the line through it symbol.

Some Relics and places grant 0.

For race tokens it's just simple if you always make it 1 race token = 1 defense (white ladies exception) and avoids confusion. There is no such thing as a "2 defense token" so to keep thing simple you are instructed to add 2 monsters to each space. It avoids confusion with new players who might not remember while looking at a board full of different units that "1 monster = 2 defense".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this is an old topic, but in case other beginners come here, let me say this. It actually is a lot easier to keep track of how many tokens you need to conquer a region by having the mountains and the extra monster tokens on, even with the confusion of the relics and special places.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.