Two Rooms and a Boom» Forums » Rules

Subject: Colour reveal - should it be allowed? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Krzysztof Sikora
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
I am still before my first game, but the following thing came to my mind - why would anybody decide (unless a power made them do this) to propose co-reveal instead of color reveal?

When you offer a color reveal you can check which team the other player is and if:

- same team - you know you can trust so you don't need to co-reveal. You can just be told what character the other player is and believe he/she is telling truth (unless a Spy, but that way they would always have to be in the game. Devil from the same team is really easy to discover)

- opposing team - don't co-reveal so as not to be hit by the other player's power.

Which in the end would result in the co-reveal powers being useless, as nobody would co-reveal.

Obvious solution: ban color reveal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alabaster
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Krzychu wrote:
I am still before my first game, but the following thing came to my mind - why would anybody decide (unless a power made them do this) to propose co-reveal instead of color reveal?

When you offer a color reveal you can check which team the other player is and if:

- same team - you know you can trust so you don't need to co-reveal. You can just be told what character the other player is and believe he/she is telling truth (unless a Spy, but that way they would always have to be in the game. Devil from the same team is really easy to discover)

- opposing team - don't co-reveal so as not to be hit by the other player's power.

Which in the end would result in the co-reveal powers being useless, as nobody would co-reveal.

Obvious solution: ban color reveal.
One solution is to add roles like negotiator, which can only co-reveal, and spies, which show up as the opposite color.
You could also try roles that do something negative when color-revealing, such as zombies. This means that co-revealing is no longer always a "safe" option.

And when you're playing smaller games with 10 or less people, color reveals are banned anyway.

But I agree that color-reveals can do limit the amount of bluffing that goes on...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alabaster
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A good way to counteract this problem in games with negotiators is to claim to be a negotiator, forcing players to only be able to co-reveal with you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt C
Canada
Truro
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vanderscamp wrote:
And when you're playing smaller games with 10 or less people, color reveals are banned anyway.

This is the key phrase.

If you're playing more than ten, you should include spies/negotiators/grey roles, which balance the ability to colour reveal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caitlin
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Who took the Bomp from the Bompalompalomp? Who took the Ram from the Ramalamading dong?
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's my thing: the more free players are to color reveal, the less you, and therefore your team, are able to bluff and get information about the other team.

If everyone just color reveals and then finds their teammates, you're just going to have to rely on special powers (if they are even in the game) to find out information. Otherwise you're just going to guess based on who they send/don't send as hostages. Sometimes I'll play in real life and say "Co-reveals only".

But the ability to color reveal also helps to bluff. I've kept my role secret, and acted protected, always color before co-reveal, and it makes me look important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Or co-reveal without color reveal first as President or Bomber and the other side will never suspect you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Jinkerson
United States
Ocean Springs
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also the benefit of acting contrary to how your role might otherwise act. For instance, if you're the President, you might be a little more outgoing than would be smart, like offering a few color reveals. When you do this, the other team is sometimes less likely to suspect that you're important.

The beauty of the game is that the strategy is not self-evident and there often aren't a lot of hard rules about how roles should be played. I've found the most important thing about being outgoing or reserved with regard to reveals, speech, physical proximity, and dialogue is to be relatively consistent so you can successfully influence and fool -- and then to become inconsistent so you can't be read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
bone4lyf wrote:
There's also the benefit of acting contrary to how your role might otherwise act. For instance, if you're the President, you might be a little more outgoing than would be smart, like offering a few color reveals. When you do this, the other team is sometimes less likely to suspect that you're important.

The beauty of the game is that the strategy is not self-evident and there often aren't a lot of hard rules about how roles should be played. I've found the most important thing about being outgoing or reserved with regard to reveals, speech, physical proximity, and dialogue is to be relatively consistent so you can successfully influence and fool -- and then to become inconsistent so you can't be read.
Agree entirely. The strategy of this game is very opaque. Everything is super counter-intuitive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Gerding
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.