Subject: Trader - where is the buried card? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Krzysztof Sikora
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
Rulebook says:

Trader - once per round, you may trade your card for the buried card. You may not peek at the buried card, only trade with it. You now assume all powers and the allegiance of your newly acquired card.

My question is: how to do this without publicly revealing yourself? The buried card is placed somewhere, probably outside the rooms so it can be tricky to get to it when no-one is looking...

I guess the same applies to Voyeur.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alabaster
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I try and do it sneakily, when no one is watching. It can be hard to get away with it, though, especially in smaller games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Gerding
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Currently, where to place the "buried" card is handled as a house rule. Different groups do it differently. Here are two different and common ways to handle the Trader.

1.) Have an "between room" area where you keep the buried card. This is the same area where the room leaders meet at the end of the round. The Voyeur and Trader can freely go to this middle room during the round to interact with the buried card. To be more subtle, they may wait until they are a hostage passing by the "buried" card, or a room leader waiting in the "between room" to interact with the card.

2.) The Trader and the Voyeur can be as obvious as they want to be. At any point, they can simply go to wherever the hell the buried card is to interact with it. In this method, by interacting with the buried card, you are revealing to others what your character card may be. Usually for the Trader, you don't even have to hide the fact that you are trading since people may not know the new character you are assuming.

Keep in mind that once you use your Trader character to exchange your card for the buried card, you assume the newly acquired character card as your new character. The only situation in which a player would exchange their card for the buried card more than once is if the buried card is another Trader card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tyler
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doberman wrote:
The only situation in which a player would exchange their card for the buried card more than once is if the buried card is another Trader card.

This explains how a Trader ever trades more than once per game. Seems to me the rules would be clearer as:

Trader - you may trade your card for the buried card.

The "once per round" verbiage is unnecessary and confusing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent Emme
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Next trip: Ireland!
badge
Phelanpt Feb 11, 2:15 PM: evils have mostly stood by and watch goods fall. except for emme. she's spinning them round and round.
mbmbmbmbmb
m_r_tyler wrote:
Doberman wrote:
The only situation in which a player would exchange their card for the buried card more than once is if the buried card is another Trader card.

This explains how a Trader ever trades more than once per game. Seems to me the rules would be clearer as:

Trader - you may trade your card for the buried card.

The "once per round" verbiage is unnecessary and confusing.

I disagree - it prevents a person from rapidly switching - most importantly in round 5. If they swap in round 5, that's it - they've made their choice for team allegiance. No more unswapping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tyler
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mmazala wrote:
I disagree - it prevents a person from rapidly switching - most importantly in round 5. If they swap in round 5, that's it - they've made their choice for team allegiance. No more unswapping.

So I guess you are talking about swapping the Red Trader card for the Blue Trader card and doing that repeatedly back and forth. I agree that is a problem. I don't really like the idea of allowing that swap to occur each round. One swap per game seems more likely what was intended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sander Engels
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a tricky thing to make the exact wording in the rulebook I guess. If I've just used my Red Trader ability to switch to Blue Trader, I haven't yet used my Blue Trader ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caitlin
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Who took the Bomp from the Bompalompalomp? Who took the Ram from the Ramalamading dong?
mbmbmbmbmb
m_r_tyler wrote:
mmazala wrote:

So I guess you are talking about swapping the Red Trader card for the Blue Trader card and doing that repeatedly back and forth. I agree that is a problem. I don't really like the idea of allowing that swap to occur each round. One swap per game seems more likely what was intended.

It isn't what was intended. The flair text on one of them says:

Trader or Traitor?

Which clearly indicates that a Blue Trader can pretend to work with Blue, then switch their team to Red and betray the Blue Team. And then do it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent Emme
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Next trip: Ireland!
badge
Phelanpt Feb 11, 2:15 PM: evils have mostly stood by and watch goods fall. except for emme. she's spinning them round and round.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Seen and Mark are right. Trade for the Trader and the power activates again. The "Once per round" is redundant text.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Gerding
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, it will have to be re-written as "A single player can only use the Trade power once per round."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.