Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Edwin Santoni
United States
Davie
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
Wanted to make sure, but only players that are invited by either side can join as an ally in an encounter correct? First time we played everyone just joined whatever side they wanted and ignored invites. Problem is most players just will most of the time join the offense to get new colonies instead of helping to defend and created lot of ties.

So we did this wrong I assume and only a player I invite as the offense can join me as attacker?

Also wording in the rules seems odd on one part, but it sounds like a player invited could choose to join the other side instead of helping the player who invited him?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aki Järvi-Eskola
Finland
Helsinki
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
It's a pad of sticky notes!
mbmbmbmbmb
The alliances are managed in the Alliance phase, which is covered on the page 9 of the rulebook. Here's a paraphrase:

First, Offense "sends invites" to any players, except the Defense.

Second, Defense "sends invites" to any players, except the Offense.

Third, every player "RSVPs to invites". Player order is clockwise from Offense.

a) If a player didn't get an invite, he isn't invited.
b) A player can RSVP "NO" to any number of invites.
c) A player can RSVP "YES" to max one invite.

As soons as a player RSVPs positively to an invite, he/she sends ships to the encounter.

I hope this helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Santoni
United States
Davie
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
I figured as much, just rereading the rules it doesn't state that only invited players can join a side even though I imagined that was the intent of the whole inviting aspect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
The rules say "each player accepts or declines invitations to ally." You can't accept an invitation you haven't received.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Farmington
Connecticut
flag msg tools
For sake of completeness it should be noted that the Parasite is the exception to this rule. Also one of the most fun powers in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, a player may only join an encounter on a side that he/she was invited to by one of the main players and may only join one side of that encounter if invited by both main players.

Alliances and when/how to use them effectively is one of the skills that new players will slowly pick up on as they experience the game more. Because the rewards for an ally are pretty big (either a new colony or more cards), the Offense and Defense shouldn't be too eager to give out unnecessary invitations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bender
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Northburns wrote:
The alliances are managed in the Alliance phase, which is covered on the page 9 of the rulebook. Here's a paraphrase:

First, Offense "sends invites" to any players, except the Defense.

Second, Defense "sends invites" to any players, except the Offense.

Third, every player "RSVPs to invites". Player order is clockwise from Offense.

a) If a player didn't get an invite, he isn't invited.
b) A player can RSVP "NO" to any number of invites.
c) A player can RSVP "YES" to max one invite.

As soons as a player RSVPs positively to an invite, he/she sends ships to the encounter.

I hope this helps

Last week me and four others played for the first time, and we didn't pick up on the order of acceptance part. We all just kind of accepted en masse. This lead on at least two occasions to some folks invited by both parties switching sides when they saw how the others joined. Next time we'll know!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Owens
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have to invite allies though? The rulebook seems to say that you have to ask at least one. In a 3 player game, there are some times where you wouldn't want allies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Homer Simpson
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't have to invite anyone if you don't want to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.