Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Maynor
United States
Peachtree City
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, some effect call for you to KO a hero that costs 6 or less from your pool, like when villains escape and other effects. This in itself is not really much of a penalty at all. Since you choose what to KO, it rarely hurts your strategy. Also, if you play the game more competitively between players, then you get to just choose something your opponent is building on, and leave your preferred card alone.

Here is my house rule I intend to use to rectify this.....

The stipulation is that they must pick the HIGHEST cost hero available, without going over 6. If there is a choice between heroes at this point, the player to your RIGHT gets to choose which hero to KO.

What I think this does is take more powerful heroes out of play, instead of allowing you to just remove heroes you may not want to acquire anyway. Also, it allows one of your opponents to remove the hero (when there is a choice to be made) so you can't leave your preferred card, and remove theirs. This makes it truly a penalty when it occurs without any major changes to the rules, and seems easy enough to explain to keep the game fast and simple.

Opinions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Frogman
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For making the game harder this method makes a great deal of sense and I might start using a variation of this. However, when you get to a point where villains are escaping maybe it would be better to have the option to get the higher cost cards. I think it works thematically as well as the heroes are starting to fail their mission until an even greater hero comes out of nowhere to help them finish the job.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
United States
Oscoda
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just playing devil's advocate: A case could be made that by KO'ing the lowest cost Hero in the HQ would be the biggest penalty. By leaving only the highest cost heroes in the HQ, it slows recruiting down and stalls the HQ. So instead of many cheaper heroes available to recruit each turn, your choices are limited because all that is left are expensive heroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I strongly agree that KOing a low value hero is the worse penalty. Try playing the game with four or five players to see why I think this. The HQ can quickly fill with expensive heroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Maynor
United States
Peachtree City
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fair point. Even taking wounds is always a true punishment. Not sure what the best all around penalty might be, but I don't like that you get to choose the hero to KO so easily. Often this helps us just clear out something we wont buy anyway. Maybe each player KOs the most expensive hero in their discard at the time, and add a wound. that might be too severe, but even then... in some games having those wounds could help you more than hurt (Hulk).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not intended to be a penalty. It is there simply to keep the HQ from being stagnant. It is intended to remove those heroes you would never recruit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Maynor
United States
Peachtree City
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played a bit more, I think I have settled on a compromise for my own playing at least. I feel that if you play co-op, the game is often a bit too easy. Sure, there are some harder schemes, and some horrible hero combos, but overall, it is not a game you lose often when all working together. In these instances, i think there needs to be some penalty imposed, and how you choose what to KO in your HQ can add to that difficulty. The finer details? Not sure really, but this is an area for ratcheting up the difficulty.

When playing competitively... I have found this actually balances itself out. Matter of fact, when you start your turn, and a villain escapes, it is a direct result of the player before you NOT doing their part to save the city. So you get to choose what to lose, which may impact cards that player themselves are buying. This seems to put it more in line if you play competitively, which we are finding is MUCH more fun, and clearly the way the game was designed.

This game is not really a co-op.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.