James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've watched several reviews and tutorial videos for Android: Netrunner. I'm interested in the mechanics of the game, but I just can't get excited about the theme, I'm just not interested in it.

There, I said it. (Curious, am I the only person that doesn't care for Android: Netrunner's theme/storyline...?)

The game looks fun, but theme of a hacker trying to assault an evil corporation just does nothing for me. Years ago, I played Neuromancer and at that time, I did enjoy the game. I never read the book and still have no desire to. Just personal preference.

Anyway, are there any good games out there that have mechanics like A:N, but have a different theme?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Wallace
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Which mechanics are you looking for? Just asymmetric card games (attacker vs defender), or something in particular?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
alfredhw wrote:
Which mechanics are you looking for? Just asymmetric card games (attacker vs defender), or something in particular?


Quote:
...asymmetric card games (attacker vs defender)...


Yes, this.

Thanks,
jrbentley
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
jrbentley wrote:
I've watched several reviews and tutorial videos for Android: Netrunner. I'm interested in the mechanics of the game, but I just can't get excited about the theme, I'm just not interested in it.

There, I said it. (Curious, am I the only person that doesn't care for Android: Netrunner's theme/storyline...?)

The game looks fun, but theme of a hacker trying to assault an evil corporation just does nothing for me. Years ago, I played Neuromancer and at that time, I did enjoy the game. I never read the book and still have no desire to. Just personal preference.

Anyway, are there any good games out there that have mechanics like A:N, but have a different theme?


Hera and Zeus is a very similar mechanic made more symmetric and with a Greek mythological theme.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
badge
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jrbentley wrote:
alfredhw wrote:
Which mechanics are you looking for? Just asymmetric card games (attacker vs defender), or something in particular?


Quote:
...asymmetric card games (attacker vs defender)...


Yes, this.

Thanks,
jrbentley


Actually there are quite a few asymmetric card games:

Smash Up

Star Wars: The Card Game

A Game of Thrones: The Card Game

Rune Age

Mage Wars Arena
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Wilde
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
While I'm not familiar with Android Netrunner, I do like assymetrical card based games. Some favourites:

Summoner Wars
Yomi
Mage Wars

Hopefully one of these suits your fancy. Personally, Mage Wars is on its way, and I can hardly stand the wait!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Double Plus Undead
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jrbentley wrote:
(Curious, am I the only person that doesn't care for Android: Netrunner's theme/storyline...?)


No, just you. You are the ONLY PERSON...

Seriously, though, cyberpunk isn't a very popular genre, especially compared to industry stand-bys like fantasy. Fortunately, Fantasy Flight aren't idiots, and they knew that they had to have the veteran players on board with the reboot, so they didn't re-theme it with dragons and wizards.

Some players have theorized that was one of the reasons the original game failed. It was a niche in a niche. CCGs are a niche hobby to begin with, and cyberpunk is a niche genre within science fiction (or speculative fiction, whatever).
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
Niko wrote:
jrbentley wrote:
I've watched several reviews and tutorial videos for Android: Netrunner. I'm interested in the mechanics of the game, but I just can't get excited about the theme, I'm just not interested in it.

There, I said it. (Curious, am I the only person that doesn't care for Android: Netrunner's theme/storyline...?)

The game looks fun, but theme of a hacker trying to assault an evil corporation just does nothing for me. Years ago, I played Neuromancer and at that time, I did enjoy the game. I never read the book and still have no desire to. Just personal preference.

Anyway, are there any good games out there that have mechanics like A:N, but have a different theme?


Hera and Zeus is a very similar mechanic made more symmetric and with a Greek mythological theme.


Hera and Zeus felt more like a card game version of Stratego.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.