Daniel Berger
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Jigsaw
mbmbmbmbmb
These are just a couple ideas I came up with for an impulsed movement variant for Starmada. Not yet playtested. Feedback welcome.

Starmada Impulse Chart

Instead of resolving all movement and then firing, the movement phase is
broken down into impulses. Ships move only when they're scheduled to move
on the impulse chart. At the end of each impulse fighters and ships may
fire (limited by the options below). Fighters resolve fire before ships.

Weapons Option #1

Each weapon may fire a maximum of once per turn. Weapons must wait at
least 5 impulses between turns to fire again.

For example, a weapon fired on impulse 7 of turn 1 would not be able to
fire again until impulse 3 of turn 2.

Weapons Option #2

Each weapon may fire a maximum of once per turn. Weapons with an ROF
greater than 1 may not fire more than once per impulse. No weapon may
fire more times per turn than its Rate of Fire. Weapons with an ROF
of 1 may not fire in consecutive impulses between turns. Weapons with
an ROF of 2 or greater can fire consecutively between turns, though they
do not "carry over" unused firing opportunities between turns.

For example, a weapon with an ROF of 2 could fire that weapon two times
during the turn, but no more than once per impulse.

Impulse Chart:

Speed -> 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Impulse
==================================================
1 - - - - x x x x x x
2 - - - x - x x x x x
3 - - x - x - - x x x
4 - x - - - x x - x x
5 x - - x x - x x x x
6 - - x - - x - x - x
7 - - - x x - x - x x
8 - x - - - x - x x x
9 - - x - x - x x x x
10 - - - x - x x x x x

x = ship moves
- = ship does not move

Notes:

Ships with a speed greater than 10 move on both the 10 column and the
the column of the ship's speed minus 10. For example, a ship moving 14
would move two hexes whenever both speed 10 and speed 4 were scheduled
to move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harmonica
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
Keep your lovin' brother happy!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice that you came up with this! I know this game mechanic from other gamesystem.

However playing with the impulse chart is very time consuming for little effect. And the two options needs additional bookkeeping per weapon system per ship.

I addore Starmada but feel it is incomplete in spite of the almost scientific calculation for VP determination when designing space ships.

When you places all your weapons in forward firing arcs you'll have extremely short games. So these weapons should cost more relatively compared with sideways and rear firing arms.

I doubt about playtest. Much more could have come out of this gamesystem. They clearly don't use miniatures. You can't stack all your miniatures in one hex! So we use an houserule for that. Moreover moving and fire all your ships from one hex is always the optimum. You have optimum for firing and your opponent does not.

Something must be done to enforce spreading of spaceships in order to produce more interesting games. The explosion of spaceships rule will help, but more needs to be done.

Maybe spaceships should block line of sight. I know space is incredibly big, but for a better game something needs to be done. Maybe intervening spaceships interrupts aiming systems with their electromagnetic presence or something like that.

A houserule we use is that armour from the rear is thinner. This increases the will to manoeuvre around and works very well for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berger
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Jigsaw
mbmbmbmbmb
anemaat wrote:
Nice that you came up with this! I know this game mechanic from other gamesystem.

Thanks. I borrowed the idea from Star Fleet Battles.

Quote:
However playing with the impulse chart is very time consuming for little effect

I don't agree, because it means you have to time your weapons fire instead of everything all at once at the end of the turn.

Quote:
And the two options needs additional bookkeeping per weapon system per ship.

True, though I think an SSD style layout would help with this a bit.

Quote:
When you places all your weapons in forward firing arcs you'll have extremely short games. So these weapons should cost more relatively compared with sideways and rear firing arms.

I don't think it would be too difficult to modify the SU cost for certain arcs without breaking the ship design system. Maybe +1 per A/B arc, -1 per E/F arc.

Another thing that could solve this problem is "turn modes". Note that I'm assuming the Brian Rule here. This would be a function of the ships hull size and engine rating. Basically, larger ships would have to travel a larger number of hexes forward between facing changes than smaller ships at similar speeds. So, big ships with lots of forward facing weapons could be outmaneuvered by smaller ships.

I haven't fleshed out those rules yet, though.

Quote:
I doubt about playtest. Much more could have come out of this gamesystem. They clearly don't use miniatures. You can't stack all your miniatures in one hex! So we use an houserule for that. Moreover moving and fire all your ships from one hex is always the optimum. You have optimum for firing and your opponent does not.

I guess you could just play it that friendly ships may not end up in the same hex using the same rules for opposing ships.

Quote:
Something must be done to enforce spreading of spaceships in order to produce more interesting games. The explosion of spaceships rule will help, but more needs to be done.

Maybe spaceships should block line of sight. I know space is incredibly big, but for a better game something needs to be done. Maybe intervening spaceships interrupts aiming systems with their electromagnetic presence or something like that.

A houserule we use is that armour from the rear is thinner. This increases the will to manoeuvre around and works very well for us.

I think faceted shielding accomplishes this to some extent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I think faceted shielding accomplishes this to some extent.

Yup, Star Fleet Universe in Starmada is awesome. Without faceted shields the ships might as well just come together and blast away.

Wanna fix Starmada? Try faceted shields.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.