Popular Tags: [View All]
Nikos II
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just bought the game yesterday. I've gone through the included rule book twice along with printing out a few player aids.

Unfortunately, I still have a few questions ... even before actually playing!

1. The first quest (i.e. Passage Through Mirkwood) is the only one that has four cards. There are TWO 3A *Path* cards but they have DIFFERENT 3B backings.
- Are both to be included?
- If so then are they manually ordered or just randomized through shuffle?
- Or do the players experience them simultaneously?

2. The rules are quite clear that the Hero cards are to be kept separate from the player deck (unless discarded but then they are still *kind of* separate). Why do Hero cards have the same back? For no reason other than for players to take them?

3. The rules state that an exhausted hero can still spend resources. For what cards would the hero actually be exhausted? (Events?) Because from how the phases are ordered, I don't see how a hero would be exhausted when adding allies or attachments (i.e. they didn't have an opportunity to DO anything yet).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Van Beurden
Belgium
Leuven
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1) If you had actually played, you would have seen the quest explains which 3A to take . So, don't worry, both are included, game will explain which road to take.

2) There is a card somewhere in Dwarrowdelf which shuffles a hero in your deck. Nasty!

3) Events also have a cost, and they can be played at any time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Wilson
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) After completing stage two of the quest you advance to a random stage 3 card. Keep both stage 3 cards in the quest deck until the time comes for you to choose a random one.

2) As mentioned above there is a card that makes you shuffle a hero into your deck. This is the only reason they need to have the same backs. Before that there wasn't a reason so it was either extremely good foresight by the designers or just a design choice.

3) As mentioned above there are events that could be paid for later inn the round. There are also cards (Caught in a web) that may stop you readying at the end of a round. This rule is there to stop you from losing out on paying for cards in this case also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As an addition to #3...

There may even be times where you need to exhaust a Hero during the planning phase. Maybe you've got Beravor as one of your heroes and are desperate for a certain card from your deck. So you decide to use her Action to draw two cards. She's now exhausted, but you can still use her resources to pay for any Lore cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Riehl
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Horrible Old Wives Tale during set up flash back...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
camipco wrote:
Horrible Old Wives Tale during set up flash back...

Haha, that's rough. zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikos II
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are numerous cards that speak to "characters leaving play". Leaving play includes both when the character is killed AND if the character is manually discarded? (i.e. can you discard a healthy character?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Tempel
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't discard a character voluntarily. It would have to be due to card text (e.g., Gandalf, certain encounter cards or shadow effects) or due to being killed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikos II
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I've been playing the starter quest each night after playing around with deck building. I don't feel ready for the other quests and I like deck building (plus now I have the first three expansions for the core set, so yay for more options!), so no rush to move on just yet.

So I have questions that came up from odd scenarios while playing a Aragorn/Theodred/Eowyn Leadership/Spirit deck ...

1. I had attached Steward of Gondor to Aragorn and then regretted the decision (i.e. should have given it to Eowyn since Allies in my hand were all Spirit at the time). I then drew the other Steward of Gondor and attached the NEW one to Eowyn while discarding the OLD one from Aragorn. I didn't break the uniqueness rule and this seems to fit into how restricted attachments are handled (i.e. anything above the cap bumps off an old one). I'm not saying Steward of Gondor is restricted, just applying the restricted methodology to uniqueness. But anyway I'm not really sure if what I did was allowed.

2. In respect to #1, I don't recall if I had gathered resources from the OLD Steward of Gondor. But could I have gathered resources from it and used that to buy the NEW Steward of Gondor (again, discarding the OLD one) and subsequently gathering resources from the NEW Steward of Gondor?

3. Aragorn got *Caught in a Web* and I didn't have anything handy to free him. He was somewhat injured anyway, so I decided to not have anyone defend an enemy attack and applied the undefended hero damage to him ... killing him. I discarded him and his damage and resource tokens. Eowyn then played Fortune or Fate to bring Aragorn back to life. I brought him back ready at full health without the Caught in a Web condition (and no resource tokens). Did I handle this correctly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Tempel
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. You're stuck with Steward of Gondor on Aragorn. You can't play a second copy of a Unique card, then remove the copy already in play; you can't play the second copy at all if another one is in play. You have to hope for a shadow effect that removes the attachment.

2. No (see above).

3. Yes, you handled that correctly. Note that this would be another way to solve your dilemma of removing the Steward of Gondor attachment from Aragorn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The relevant rule is on page 8.

Quote:
If any player has a unique card in play, no player can
play or put into play another card with the same title.
Any attempt to do so will fail to the extent that the card
attempting to enter play remains in its current location
(hand, deck, discard pile) and does not enter play. This
rule applies to all unique hero, ally, attachment, and
event cards that might enter play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.