Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I'm just wondering if anyone knows if the expansions for Jambo are likely to be reprinted in the near future? Maybe with the upcoming release of Asante there might be new print runs of these?

The second is pretty much impossible to get and the first is increasingly becoming so, but I've heard that the game is much better with both than with just one, so even if I can get the first I'm reluctant to do so if the second will be impossible to find...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Mesina
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've ben wondering the same thing, or if there will be a new print with a slight upcharge and both expansions included.(?)

It would make sense to do this, given a new entry in the line, but publishers can be fickle. This is a game I've had my eye on for years, and I hope it becomes widely available in it's entireity again. Until anything is announced, I'd wager they will be given a printing if Asante sells well enough, and only then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Meanwhile the Rio Grande pages for both the first and second expansion say "in print".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
asj
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Number 2 says out of print now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Carvalho
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
I dwell in possibility
badge
Forever is composed of nows
mbmb

The funny thing is the expansions are worth more than the base game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Wilting
Netherlands
Vught
flag msg tools
Whatever it is, in or out of print, I think reprinting the base game and the expansions would be a good idea.

The first reason is that the rules of the expansions are printed in pretty small letters and they are hard to read, especially those of the second expansion.

The second reason would be the rules themselves. In my opinion they need to be revised, because the instructions on the cards are sometimes contradicting the rules on the sheet or on other cards. For an example, take a look at the Giraffe effect combined with Horn of Plenty. How many gold should you pay if the Horn of Plenty is played under influence of the Giraffe? 1, because it is a single action you play, or 2, because you have to pay 2 action points? There is nothing clear about that in the rules.

The third reason is that in case there would be plans for publishing a single big set with the expansions included, they can not only revise the rules as they were for the current sets, but also make them merge in a new rulebook, in which every interaction between any two or more cards are explained in a clearer way. And really, if we need time tokens, they should include them as well. People don't want to pay extra things they need for a game that is already purchased.

The fourth reason is the sets of cards in my copies of the base game and expansions. The designs on the back of the expansions' cards are a little bit darker than those of the base game.

I don't know if Rio Grande Games would really want to merge the sets into a single large one, but perhaps 999 Games, the company that makes the dutch version, will do such a thing. They also did that with the Catan card game, which contains the base game and three small theme expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since starting this thread I've bought (and played several times with) the first expansion. It's nice, but I haven't been able to get the second at all, and it bugs me that I have to remove cards from the deck to keep it balanced. Besides, apart from gameplay, I just want to own all of Jambo, including both expansions.

I think a reprint with both expansions included would be nice (especially with updated rules), but personally I'd be very happy if the second expansion was just reprinted. I'd prefer not to have to buy the base game and first expansion again to get it.

(Why is it so hard to get? Did they print less of it than of the first?)

My expansion does have slightly darker cards than the base set, but not so as you'd really notice. Sleeving them helps, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Carvalho
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
I dwell in possibility
badge
Forever is composed of nows
mbmb
0616william wrote:

I don't know if Rio Grande Games would really want to merge the sets into a single large one

That would be awesome! I would definitely ditch my copy for an upgraded "complete" edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Wilting
Netherlands
Vught
flag msg tools
Removing cards from the deck is not something you'd wish, indeed. But I believe there are plenty copies of the second expansion available. With both the first and second expansion, you don't have to remove cards. However, you have to add some atributes to the game to use them as time tokens. That's why was a bit disappointed when I noticed I only got a deck of cards and a rule sheet of which the quality could be better, because it was hard to read (and besides, it doesn't clarify everything properly, so updated rules are in place here).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny de Vries
Netherlands
2e Exloermond
Drenthe
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
0616william wrote:
Whatever it is, in or out of print, I think reprinting the base game and the expansions would be a good idea.

The first reason is that the rules of the expansions are printed in pretty small letters and they are hard to read, especially those of the second expansion.

The second reason would be the rules themselves. In my opinion they need to be revised, because the instructions on the cards are sometimes contradicting the rules on the sheet or on other cards. For an example, take a look at the Giraffe effect combined with Horn of Plenty. How many gold should you pay if the Horn of Plenty is played under influence of the Giraffe? 1, because it is a single action you play, or 2, because you have to pay 2 action points? There is nothing clear about that in the rules.

The third reason is that in case there would be plans for publishing a single big set with the expansions included, they can not only revise the rules as they were for the current sets, but also make them merge in a new rulebook, in which every interaction between any two or more cards are explained in a clearer way. And really, if we need time tokens, they should include them as well. People don't want to pay extra things they need for a game that is already purchased.

The fourth reason is the sets of cards in my copies of the base game and expansions. The designs on the back of the expansions' cards are a little bit darker than those of the base game.

I don't know if Rio Grande Games would really want to merge the sets into a single large one, but perhaps 999 Games, the company that makes the dutch version, will do such a thing. They also did that with the Catan card game, which contains the base game and three small theme expansions.

small detail...not 999 but White Goblin Games publishes the Dutch versions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
0616william wrote:
I believe there are plenty copies of the second expansion available.

Not in the UK. I was able to get the first expansion easily a few months ago, but I haven't been able to get the second expansion at all (I think I did see a copy some time ago, but it was an outrageous price).

Actually the first expansion seems to be hard to find now, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
0616william wrote:
I believe there are plenty copies of the second expansion available.

I generally try to be respectful of other's beliefs, but this one is irrefutably false.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Wilting
Netherlands
Vught
flag msg tools
Oh yes, White Goblin Games. You were right about that. Well, that clarifies why there are those big mistakes in the rulesheet and on the Mask of Transformation card in the Dutch version of this game. Since then, White Goblin Games have not learned their lesson, because they made more awful mistakes on their versions of games. One other example is the Dutch version of Star Wars - The Card Game. They rated that game for ages 10 and up, while it had to be 14 and up, like the original English Fantasy Flight Games version is. That mistake resulted in many disappointed players who had to explain the much to complex rules to there 10 year old kids, and angry storekeepers who had to see it often returned for that same rating reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Brittain
United Kingdom
Woking
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
xipuloxx wrote:
Since starting this thread I've bought (and played several times with) the first expansion. It's nice, but I haven't been able to get the second at all, and it bugs me that I have to remove cards from the deck to keep it balanced. Besides, apart from gameplay, I just want to own all of Jambo, including both expansions.

Hey

I had the same issue -- I got expansion 1 recently but it isn't very satisfying because of the lack of ware cards to keep balance.

One solution is to buy a Dutch version of Expansion 2 (available currently via BGG for about 7 euros). Shipping to the UK for the one I bought (from Sheep Games) was another 6 euros.

Even if you never use the Dutch-language people and animals, the new ware cards at least make all of expansion 1 usable. I guess you need to remove a few ware cards to keep the balance.

Plus you get the fourth hut and carpets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Mao
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just e-mailed RGG about the status of their expansions and this was the response that I got:

Quote:

Thanks for the note - we have updated the entry to out of print. We will no longer offer Jambo or any expansions.

Jay

Too bad. It seems that the most reasonable way to expand Jambo now would be to pick up Asante. (http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1083996/how-to-combine-asant...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Yates
United States
Pekin
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It really sucks they're not reprinting these but demand isn't probably high enough to justify it. Sad because I own everything in the Jambo universe and the expansions add so much to the game. If you can get them, even at a higher price, they are worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.