Subject: Cherbourg Replacements & Defensive Armor Shift rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Lapierre
United States
Berwick
Maine
flag msg tools
Just wrapping up a Vassal campaign game... my opponent and I had a great time and had a couple of things we'd like to have clarified for our rematch.

First, it seemed odd to us that the German player (me) was allowed to put replacements directly into Cherbourg after it was cut off from the south. We couldn't find anything in the rules that disallowed it so I was able to generate units inside the city right up until the end. Is this really allowed?

Second, we both felt that the defender should be allowed to use a defensive armor shift if all attackers were attacking out of marsh and/or across march or major river hexsides even if the attacker had armor in the MAF. Our reasoning was that the attacker could not receive the armor bonus due to terrain that it is attacking across or from, so why should they be able to counter defensive use of it?

We'd be curious to know the official ruling on these issues and what others think.

Thanks!

Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Steadman
United States
Evans
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bernatz
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought Mark answered these on CSW?

-K

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Steadman
United States
Evans
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if everyone goes on CSW or if I want to go there and dig through them thread

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bernatz
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stevel40831 wrote:
Just wrapping up a Vassal campaign game... my opponent and I had a great time and had a couple of things we'd like to have clarified for our rematch.

First, it seemed odd to us that the German player (me) was allowed to put replacements directly into Cherbourg after it was cut off from the south. We couldn't find anything in the rules that disallowed it so I was able to generate units inside the city right up until the end. Is this really allowed?

As long as you're willing to put replacement points into the Cherbourg HQ/Replacement track, then..yes...there is nothing stopping you.

stevel40831 wrote:
Second, we both felt that the defender should be allowed to use a defensive armor shift if all attackers were attacking out of marsh and/or across march or major river hexsides even if the attacker had armor in the MAF. Our reasoning was that the attacker could not receive the armor bonus due to terrain that it is attacking across or from, so why should they be able to counter defensive use of it?

Simply because the attacker cannot gain the shift, does not mean his armor can't deal effectively to counter the benefits of defensive armor. This is similar to the fact that, on the attack, even a weak 1 armor rating attacking unit can prevent a Panther tank from getting a defensive shift. Attacking armor does not need to be used "as effectively" as the defending armor to negate the possible armor shift.

-K
Developer N'44

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.