Dorn» Forums » News

Subject: Re-Edition of Dorn officially announced !!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Tlustak
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game team behind Dorn officialy published their plan to publish a re-editon of the game on their Czech forums.

http://dorn.cz/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2476&sid=702d47199...

Summery of the information

The team speaks that after some thoughts they decided to rather publish a newer version of the game rather then to expand it.

The team also promises that the re-edition will not be like your regular "New pictures and one new hero" remake you know from other games. They want to improve the game in all its parts with new art, map, and a lot of new ideas.

The exact date of the re-edtion, or if it will be also in English, is not known yet, but the team would like to publish it in this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aitor
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Rooks
Japan
Kobe
Hyogo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome news! I will definitely buy the new English version if changes to the gameplay have been made!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Crispin
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would love to see a multilingual or English version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
red black wrote:
So long exorbitant secondary market prices, hello improved new edition.

I think prices won't change unless they get a North American partner to distribute. Otherwise import fees and shipping will still make this a very expensive buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Harris
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How fortuitous!!!

Just yesterday, I was cleaning up my subscriptions, and nearly removed Dorn from my subscribed topics, since it just made me sad since I STILL didn't have access to a copy...

W00h00!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Fordham
United States
Rome
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Would DEFINITELY buy an English version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Ice-choked tower, Mondavia, Nanglangka.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jigmelingpa wrote:
Awesome news! I will definitely buy the new English version if changes to the gameplay have been made!

What changes do you require be made?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Rooks
Japan
Kobe
Hyogo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A tweaked rule set complete with strategies that give the Dorn Keeper a fighting chance...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Pirard
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jigmelingpa wrote:
A tweaked rule set complete with strategies that give the Dorn Keeper a fighting chance...

Why, I won with the keeper several times
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aitor
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yugblad wrote:
jigmelingpa wrote:

What changes do you require be made?

Non-broken versions of Gor and Strix.

Non-lame versions of Bogdan and Kaerdrak.

Patches on some nearly broken abilities of some of the Heroes that generate exploits (Cerik's "Healing Roots" a.k.a. "God Mode Roots", Zohra's artifact-catching "Shadow Walk", Almanor's spammable "Icestorm").

A better incentive for the Heroes to actually enter the Mines.

Less auto-healing abilities on the Heroes so that they have an incentive to use the Fountains of Healing or the Herbalist, or to add healers into the party.

Rebalanced Dark Rituals. Some of the less useful card effects have the highest cost in blood (and vice versa).

Tools for the Dornkeeper to counter the Heroes' most obvious winning strategy: advance forming a compact team, do not lose time looting treasures and never splitting the party.

Coherent boss rules (Zorkal should be a Demon just like Koschei is, instead of having its own "magic immunity ability" which differs from the magic immunity of the Demons).

Dorn is the best dungeoncrawler I have ever played, but has some flaws. House rules can fix these issues, but it would be better to have them officially settled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Rooks
Japan
Kobe
Hyogo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gaston2010 wrote:
Why, I won with the keeper several times

Then I would say you probably did not play against heroes who were playing optimally. See the post below above by Aitor for clues on how to fix the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Rooks
Japan
Kobe
Hyogo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hollyhock wrote:
Dorn is the best dungeoncrawler I have ever played, but has some flaws. House rules can fix these issues, but it would be better to have them officially settled.

Have you played Mice & Mystics yet Aitor?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Booker Hooker
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket To Ride sized box

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wynand Louw
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will MOST DEFINITELY throw my money at them! This game deserves a FFG-type makeover.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wynand Louw
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jigmelingpa wrote:
Hollyhock wrote:

Different game all together. Yes Mice and mystics are better that other AI games like WOA and LOD. (I think Gears of War may still be better than M&M.)

Dorn should be compared to Descent, if compared to other dungeon crawlers at all.

The important thing about Dorn that sets it apart and in a class of its own is its deterministic, diceless mechanics. You CANNOT play this game casually. This game forces you to think, since you can't blame the dice afterwards!

I would love for the new edition to have more maps... Hope the creators read the forums here!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aitor
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jigmelingpa wrote:
Hollyhock wrote:

No, but now I guess that I should. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tlustak
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well if nothing I keep spaming them with good ideas from here.

I never thought this news would get so much attention. Good to see so many people still beeing interested in this game:-)

As for changes. From what I know, the team works on coherent rules to make questionable situations as rare as posible. They even started to repher to them when they react to questions on the Official forums. (Even if they are not as active as the BGG forums)

@Matthew: You and your grupe should stop picking heroes and start chosing them randomly. It's much more fun and you can't blame the game anymore. Last game I played was a Stryx-Kaerdrak-Bogdan-Almanor-Vargen combination. And the heroes got their caster killed in round 4. Not even Stryx could help them anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Rooks
Japan
Kobe
Hyogo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played with random heroes, and honestly it doesn't matter much if the heroes stick together and cooperate. The slow trickle of monsters that the DK sends at the heroes is never a match for an organized group, even with fully leveled up totems. If the heroes move quickly towards their objectives and gang up on incoming enemies while protecting weaker allies and allowing them kill shots to level up, they are more or less unstoppable.

Certainly, there are certain heroes that are stronger than others, but it is the overall strength in numbers that the heroes have over the DK and his minions that makes the game severely unbalanced.

Don't get me wrong, I love the game mechanics, artwork, theme, etc. in its current form, it is just too difficult for the DK to win against a group of heroes who use the right tactics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukáš Rinka
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Matthew:

Interesting. I have just opposite experience. In our games is much more easy to win with DK. And according some czech game forums I´m not alone with this experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Rooks
Japan
Kobe
Hyogo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you splitting up heroes and going after treasures?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukáš Rinka
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on situation and available blessings.

Problem is that heroes player is more sensible to mistakes. Some of them can be fatal. If DK make some mistake he only lost turn or two

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Rooks
Japan
Kobe
Hyogo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the heroes stick together, protect their weaker members until they can level up, and move swiftly towards their objectives while not going out of their way for treasures, they will never make mistakes.

If the DK sends monsters at the heroes without doing serious damage to them or killing them, it only helps them to level up. If the DK tries to hold back and build up monsters, the heroes can run through the board unimpeded.

I would love to hear of a valid, strong strategy for the DK. I've been asking on these forums for months and months, and still have not heard of one yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bielie wrote:

I would love for the new edition to have more maps... Hope the creators read the forums here!

Every time I look at the base map, I think to myself, "they could have made that modular based on regions". Sewers go here, forest goes there, catacombs there, etc. This would also allow expansions of just a new region to put in your map. As well, I think a modular board (adding just regions, not individual corridors like descent) would help the game scale for number of players better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aitor
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cup of Coffee wrote:
Problem is that heroes player is more sensible to mistakes. Some of them can be fatal. If DK make some mistake he only lost turn or two

It's true that, when every player is a noob, the DK wins more often (but not always). But after 6 or 7 games, when everyone is experencied and nobody makes any mistakes, Hero players always win.

BTW, losing a turn or two is a fatal error when the players are experienced, either for the DK side or for the Hero side. The consequences of such an error, however, aren't immediate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.