Subject: Birmingham, AL? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Chelsea
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone in the Birmingham area looking for other players? There's a couple meetup times in the area that don't always work for my schedule. Additionally, the last time I went to the meetup group, many new players were ostracized as the regulars played their game of Risk: Legacy. I can't blame them, however.

Point being, I'm always looking for another gamer for 1v1 games such as Netrunner and Mage Wars or a few people for bigger game nights on the weekends that incorporate games that play with 4-8 people.

Right now, I play several times a week between my wife, best friend, and our small group of friends, but have yet to meet anyone new. Figured this might be a good place to start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Milam
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
I'd be up for stuff occasionally, but I live 2 hours away (Muscle Shoals). If you were interested in doing something big or coming up here I'd be more than happy to do something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah Bayens
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I live near downtown Birmingham and am a fairly avid board game player and have been building up a stockpile of games over the last few years.

I've never gone to one of the meetup groups because I've never had an urge to stick my neck out and go solo, and my friends and boyfriend haven't expressed any interest.

As of now, I mostly play with my boyfriend, and we occasionally have groups of friends over for the larger games (I haven't yet decided if the pain of breaking in a new game with rules to a more casual group is worth the pleasure of playing with a full group.)

Currently, my interests have been flickering between more direct 1v1 games like Netrunner and Summoner Wars (oh, maybe someday someone will enjoy playing that with me devil), and the more sandbox/tactical games like Clash of Cultures. But to be honest, I've been pretty voracious, and have pretty much enjoyed any game I can get my greasy little mitts on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sarahb
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
imtylerdurden wrote:
Anyone in the Birmingham area looking for other players? There's a couple meetup times in the area that don't always work for my schedule. Additionally, the last time I went to the meetup group, many new players were ostracized as the regulars played their game of Risk: Legacy. I can't blame them, however.

Chad,

I'd blame them! We stopped playing in the meetup groups several years ago because of the exact behavior you've described... and we weren't new. It's getting better though- my bf and I are regulars at the Tuesday night one at Mad Doctor in downtown Birmingham, and we try not to be jerks... but I know that's a drive for you and might not fit into your schedule. The organizers of the meetup group have been trying to be better about keeping track of how many people attend each and what games get played, so new folks can have an idea of which night might fit with their tastes best. Personally, as a new person, I'd avoid the meetups that only have 3-5 players, or the ones that seem to play the same games every week- those groups are generally a little harder to break in to.

That being said, my bf and I host games at our house every couple of weekends, and if you're looking to play, we'd be happy to have you (and your wife, maybe?). Have a look at our collection and my played log, and send me a message on here or though the meetup site if it looks like it might fit with your tastes.

Best,
Sarah

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.