Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm this week's VGG Geek of the Week! It's quite an honor and I am having fun, but I had a sad realization that I only get to do this once, ever. So, I want to make the most of it while I still can!

I don't know if this is bad form, but I'm inviting anyone and everyone to ask me some questions in the thread. The questions have slowed down quite a bit, and I want to share as many of my thoughts in the thread that will forever stand as a small slice of the website that is all about me!

(Edit: And by "ask me some questions in the thread", I mean in the Geek of the Week thread linked above!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Britten
United Kingdom
Newark
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you think there is a future for sports games that have exclusive licenses, or will leagues start using non-exclusive licenses with multiple companies?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
Why is the princess always in another castle?

Isn't the fact she is always getting captured a bit on the codependent side?

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
いい竹やぶだ!

South Euclid
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
DKahnt wrote:

-DK

"The common factor in all your [messed]-up relationships is you."

—Mario, to the Princess
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Four crazy kids and happy as a clam!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
Done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mb
What are your thoughts on the possibility of next generation machines not playing used games?

My opinion - worst move ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Britten
United Kingdom
Newark
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rygel wrote:
What are your thoughts on the possibility of next generation machines not playing used games?

My opinion - worst move ever.

I agree with your opinion, but in less repeatable language...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cryolemon wrote:
Do you think there is a future for sports games that have exclusive licenses, or will leagues start using non-exclusive licenses with multiple companies?

I can't say I know much about that sort of thing, but I certainly think that having exclusive rights would
1) stifle creativity in game design due to lack of competition, and
2) be profitable for both a franchise and whatever publisher it grant exclusivity to.

Since the world runs on profit, I think that exclusive licenses might crop up here and there, to the detriment of gamers. Of course I really don't know anything about sports, so I'm just making this all up!

Quote:

Seems to me that Mario just isn't that good with planning. He should do some investigation regarding which castle the princess is in and go to that one first. Of course maybe the princess is just playing hard to get and set up the whole thing to get laid.

Quote:

Let me start by saying that 90% of my physical console games are second-hand; I'm a tight-wad first, gamer second. I think it's something that was bound to happen sooner or later; publishers and retailers are losing a lot of money in the secondary market.

I don't think I will mind so much, simply due to the advent of digital downloads. In theory, this will drive the cost of games down, particularly when a game is beyond its first year. It's a little worrying that this hasn't seemed to have happened yet, outside of Steam, but hopefully Sony and Microsoft will try to copy Steam's sales model.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I strongly feel that from the design stage onwards, a lot of developers completely ignore women when producing games. Console game designers seem to think there is only one form of interaction between players: conflict, which (I would argue) generally only appeals to the male mindset. This has left us in the current state whereby only four game templates are produced: punch it, shoot it, kick it, and race it.

What do we need to do (as an industry) to attract more women game designers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Finch
United Kingdom
BERKSHIRE
flag msg tools
badge
Rule changes for tonight's game:-
mbmbmbmbmb
You know what's wrong with Skyrim these days?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Legends of War: Patton edition for the XBox. Is it any good? I have the impression that no History Channel games get good reviews but I'd like a turn based war game - I love XCom the Unknown - that is not Sci-Fi. Just Fi would be acceptable?

And what is wrong with Skyrim these days? I can't think of anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AdrianPHague wrote:
What do we need to do (as an industry) to attract more women game designers?

I think either triple-A titles have to cater less to a young, male, American audience, or the media needs to put less of a focus on those games as representing "the industry". Unfortunately, those are the games that currently sell and keep everyone in the chain well-paid, and those are the games that are going to get advertising dollars.

Certainly the explosion of casual gaming due to the advent of smart phones is helping the industry shift away from that sort of stuff, and independent developers are getting more of a chance to get their games out into the world.

MFinch wrote:
You know what's wrong with Skyrim these days?

No idea, I've never played it. I played Oblivion, and I found it pretty boring. I'm not big into "real" RPGs like that or Fallout that strive for depressing realism. I'll take my RPGs with a cast of quirky characters, please and thank you!

scribidinus wrote:
Legends of War: Patton edition for the XBox. Is it any good?

Never heard of it, sorry! I'm not big into wargames. I like to play games to escape the world we live in. That sounds more like I might learn something from it. *shudder*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.