Popular Tags: [View All]
jflartner
United States
Conshohocken
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all!

My birthday is coming up, and 5 friends and myself are heading up to the Pocono's for President's Day weekend to celebrate. I will be, of course, be bringing several board game along.

I would also like to try out an RPG for the first time. Neither myself nor anyone in the group has ever played an RPG of any kind (ok...I've played on by forum on here, and myself and one of my friends have played video game RPGs, but never one of the traditional tabletop variety).

I am considering a few, those being Outbreak: Undead, Dread, or Fiasco.

Outbreak:
PRO: because our group likes zombies, and I think being up in a cabin during a cold February night would be a great setting to role play ourselves in a zombie apocalypse situation.
CON: Is this simple enough? I worry about the game rules/mechanisms being too much, and getting in the way of our group being able to be creative. I'm worried that the group may experience some trouble with the "paradox of choice" - going from board games with lots of rules to RPG games with almost no rules, but some rules.

Dread:
PRO: because it seems like it might be more accessible and I think my group will like the jenga tower aspect.
CON: Its not zombies...?

Fiasco:
PRO: From what I've read, this is probably one of the most accessible RPGs out there.
CON: No one I'm going with is a huge Coen brothers fan - I'm unsure how well we would be able to "fill-out" such a setting.

Mostly I'm looking for something non sci-fi or high fantasy, and something rules-light. And remember I've never been a GM before, so a game that has a lot of hand holding for the GM would also be great.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't go wrong with one of the savage world books (other then Pirate of the Spanish main).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a lot of love for Fiasco on RPG Geek (about a two dozen PbF games run in the past year) but it may not be a good fit for a first time GM.

Savage Worlds is a great system and the new Savage Worlds Deluxe Explorer's Edition is probably small enough to be digested in a single reading.

I'm more into high-fantasy so I'd have lots of suggestions if that was what you were looking for. I'm sure lots of suggestions will come in soon as the thread just got moved to RPG Geek!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Holcomb
United States
Cadott
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Playing D&D 5e, The One Ring
badge
Running Traveller (M2e)
mbmbmbmbmb
For something that is truly "Pick it up and play it" with no GM experience necessary, you might consider the Advanced Fighting Fantasy Quickstart Rules (free on RPGNow). It even comes with a ready-made adventure. It even has zombies.zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jflartner
United States
Conshohocken
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wavemotion wrote:
There is a lot of love for Fiasco on RPG Geek (about a two dozen PbF games run in the past year) but it may not be a good fit for a first time GM.

Savage Worlds is a great system and the new Savage Worlds Deluxe Explorer's Edition is probably small enough to be digested in a single reading.

I'm more into high-fantasy so I'd have lots of suggestions if that was what you were looking for. I'm sure lots of suggestions will come in soon as the thread just got moved to RPG Geek!

Thanks!

I've been looking at Fiasco for ahwile...right now I'm vacillating between Outbreak: Undead and Fiasco with the Those Summer Nights and Living Dead playsets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Ashe
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fiasco distributes the work across all players, so unlike a trad RPG where the GM really needs to know the system well to carry everyone else, since it's GMless, you just need everyone having a basic understanding of how it works, and all the players should fill things in for each other until it works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Batten
Canada
St. John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jobin13 wrote:
Dread:
PRO: because it seems like it might be more accessible and I think my group will like the jenga tower aspect.
CON: Its not zombies...?

Well, it could be...

RPGnet: Zombies around the Jenga tower (forum post)
Zombie Toast: Dread: It's like 80's night, with Zombies! (audio)
Behind the Pallid Mask: Tower Corp: a game of Dread (blog post)

Or:
Alternatively, you could try Call of Cthulhu Quick-Start Rules, it's got everything (except the dice) in one package. Maybe not the most sophisticated scenario out there, but it has gotten many folks started on the road to (Lovecraftian horror) gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.