Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Cooper
United Kingdom
Cheltenham
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The monster card values seem to differ in the 2012 version. Looking through the Level 5 cards, there is one Mind Flayer with identical values to the TWO Vampire cards. I'm sure these are errors in the reprint and that the Mind Flayer is supposed to be different, and every type of monster be unique. Also, the Giant (Fire Giant in the reprint) has no value for the fireball spell, but it was 6 in the original. Other different values exist. In Level 6, the reprint has two Purple Worm cards instead of one, PLUS a Carrion Crawler with identical values. The original only had one card with these values. Further there is no Level 2 trap card in the reprint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Few other changes as well, while at the same time keeping many elements the same.

The combat table has been reversed as has the find secret doors roll. Instead of say a 1-2, you now need a 5-6.

Ordering of the data on the cards is reversed order as well. But the stats are for the most part still the same.

Card dimensions are the same. Hero requirements are the same and looks like their respective combats are still the same.

The method for getting treasure though has changed, due to typo or design. Now you enter a room, grab loot, then fight the monster. Possibly dropping the item if defeated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Cooper
United Kingdom
Cheltenham
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ok, so how come some of the monsters have a higher number for a spell? I've played a couple of games as the wizard and have always gone for the lowest number to beat. I see no reason to waste a fireball when hand-to-hand combat stands a better chance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jez2k wrote:
ok, so how come some of the monsters have a higher number for a spell? I've played a couple of games as the wizard and have always gone for the lowest number to beat. I see no reason to waste a fireball when hand-to-hand combat stands a better chance.

Some monsters are magically resistant to fire ball and lightning spells. It is assumed that the wizard uses some other means to defeat them when he enters the room. Every edition has had monsters like this. Of course you can walk in to find out what the monster is , but you cannot cast spells if you are in a room with a monster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Cooper
United Kingdom
Cheltenham
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dnasearchr wrote:
Jez2k wrote:

Some monsters are magically resistant to fire ball and lightning spells. It is assumed that the wizard uses some other means to defeat them when he enters the room. Every edition has had monsters like this. Of course you can walk in to find out what the monster is , but you cannot cast spells if you are in a room with a monster.

If you can't cast spells in a room with a monster, then presumably you can only cast spells from one square away; a ranged attack. So then how are you supposed to know what number you are trying to beat, if the monster card for that unexplored room is unknown? You only flip the monster card up when you enter the room, not before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jez2k wrote:
Dnasearchr wrote:
Jez2k wrote:

If you can't cast spells in a room with a monster, then presumably you can only cast spells from one square away; a ranged attack. So then how are you supposed to know what number you are trying to beat, if the monster card for that unexplored room is unknown? You only flip the monster card up when you enter the room, not before.

After you pick your spell, you flip over the monster card to see what it is. Then you know the number you need to roll. Of course the monster can not fight back if you fail. If you succeed, you use your remaining move to walk in and take the treasure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.