Subject: Inviting Allies Phase: How strict or loose do you play? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Stahler Jr.
United States
Wheelock
Vermont
flag msg tools
Check out Truesight and other award-winning fiction at davidstahlerjr.com!
mbmbmbmbmb

Obligatory Preface: CE is STILL my favorite boardgame...

I've taught this game to quite a few different groups--fellow gamers, family and friends, my high school students (they get into it the most--not sure what that says about the game...) but one of the elements of the game that's the hardest to keep people within the boundaries of the rules is the Inviting Allies phase. There's a tendency for people to immediately respond to the attacker's invitations or respond to both invitations out of order. I generally try to encourage people to follow the appropriate chain (attackers invite first, defenders second, everyone else accept in clockwise order from the attacker) but try not to be too heavy-handed about it, since this phase of the game is often the most boisterous and fun from a social perspective.

My question, therefore, is how strictly do you adhere to this phase in your own groups? Do you play it fairly loosely? Are you really strict about it? Curious to know how other people play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hoare
United Kingdom
Chippenham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

My experience is exactly as Wheelockian's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Guess the games in my uberbadge!
badge
My favorite game is Cosmic Encounter.
mbmbmbmbmb
We didn't use to, but as we got to be better and more sophisticated gamers, it has become imperative to follow this rule strictly. You can't always guess how people are going to ally, and when one person surprisingly allies with the other side, it can start a chain reaction, or at least put players in a position to have to make a tough decision, which in my opinion is one of the best things that can happen in games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I think the stricter the better, as this means you will change the order in which people respond. This means sometimes the obvious ally choices will be first, sometimes last and the surprise allies could come in a any time.

And because of chain reactions, someone could potentially get screwed over big time because people do it out of order, but if you stick to order then they cannot complain, they got screwed over fairly.

It is about screwing people over, but in a fair and organised manner.

That probably describes the whole Cosmic Encounter game in one sentence .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
My experience is similar: I'm often the only one who really cares about precise sequencing, and sometimes I play the role of moderator and call out the clock ticks: "Okay Clone, you're up first: are you joining the offense? No? Alright then, Trader: you can join either side. The defense it is. Bandit, what will you do?"

But I actually don't have a lot of problem with the freeform thing, since in many cases a player who jumps the gun is mostly hurting himself (although sometimes hurting the player he should/would have allied with had he paid attention and let others make their decision first).

The thing is, you can sort of view a too-early alliance decision as kind of the same thing as just confessing ahead of time what you plan to do — and discussing your plans out loud is perfectly legal. So I don't sweat it too much, although I do prefer that things be done in order (and good players will not jump the gun, since they want all the information they can get when making a decision).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stahler Jr.
United States
Wheelock
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, my gaming group is more miniatures/wargame oriented, so I don't have the opportunity to play often or with an experienced, dedicated group, but if I did, I imagine we would play it pretty strictly.

Since I'm usually playing with mostly new groups and/or in informal settings, I try to loosely moderate. We generally allow people to change their minds, particularly if they jump the gun, and only end the phase after everyone has finally settled on who they're allying with. Totally goes against the rules, but it usually works out fine and often leads to some funny and interesting discussion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
We usually play with a variant where alliances are all chosen secretly and declared simultaneously.

Everyone gets A234JQK at the beginning of the game. Whenever they're invited to either side, they choose two cards. Jack means they abstain, Queen means they go to defense, King means they go to Offense. A-4 determine how many ships to send.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't mind a bit of free-form allying, but if anyone at the table says they want to go in proper order, then we stop and and do it that way. It's better in general to do that, but on some encounters nobody seems to care what order people choose.

Back in the olden days, we never accepted invitations in order. It was always just a mass simultaneous grabbing and placing of tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stahler Jr.
United States
Wheelock
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
We usually play with a variant where alliances are all chosen secretly and declared simultaneously.

Everyone gets A234JQK at the beginning of the game. Whenever they're invited to either side, they choose two cards. Jack means they abstain, Queen means they go to defense, King means they go to Offense. A-4 determine how many ships to send.

Wow. You guys are hardcore!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wheelockian wrote:
Asmor wrote:

I got bored with how it seemed like the tide of battle was determined disproportionately by the first person to choose a side. Wanted something where people would have to think more about whether and who to back.

Of course, my group also tends to be a little too loose with the invitations to begin with, for my taste. A variant like this might make less sense if your group invites people more rarely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stahler Jr.
United States
Wheelock
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
Wheelockian wrote:
Asmor wrote:

I got bored with how it seemed like the tide of battle was determined disproportionately by the first person to choose a side. Wanted something where people would have to think more about whether and who to back.

Of course, my group also tends to be a little too loose with the invitations to begin with, for my taste. A variant like this might make less sense if your group invites people more rarely.

On the one hand, I like the idea of secret picks followed by a simultaneous reveal--I imagine it would create some interesting tension and second-guessing.

On the other hand, having loose play at the other extreme--with people changing their minds and increasingly upping the ante in terms of ships and alliances in an almost auction-like atmosphere until everyone finally passes is very fun, as well, and has its own sort of tension.

Interesting how two opposite styles can both be attractive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
We played pretty hard-core Cosmic. Our customs were:

1) Either side can ask for allies first, but if there is hesitation then the official order is followed.

2) Anyone can ally at any time (once invited of course). Once you put tokens in the cone, however, they are committed, so you are making a decision based on less information that you would otherwise have.

3) Strict ordering is followed whenever anyone insists, or once people are being indecisive. (This was the norm, we would go around the table asking each person.)

4) It's rude to ally before both sides have declared who they are inviting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stahler Jr.
United States
Wheelock
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
galfridus wrote:
We played pretty hard-core Cosmic. Our customs were:

1) Either side can ask for allies first, but if there is hesitation then the official order is followed.

2) Anyone can ally at any time (once invited of course). Once you put tokens in the cone, however, they are committed, so you are making a decision based on less information that you would otherwise have.

3) Strict ordering is followed whenever anyone insists, or once people are being indecisive. (This was the norm, we would go around the table asking each person.)

4) It's rude to ally before both sides have declared who they are inviting.

Good rules. I agree with #4, though it's usually unintentional, especially with beginners, so I try to let it slide with a gentle reminder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
Wheelockian wrote:
Interesting how two opposite styles can both be attractive.

The appeal of differing auction styles is one of the reasons I enjoy Modern Art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrek McNab
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have gotten stricter over time with the Ally timing.

Before people could change their minds and such.

But now I will say "its like poker chips. Once you place them, they are in."

And since I will subtly mention how communication is key, I will say to another player who has played before "if you go on offense, I will too"

Let them go on offense, and I will go on defense instead.

Just this simple action lets new players understand that there is a whole world of manipulation they can be doing in the game.

I might go back to a bit more lenient ally joining and such just to see if it makes it funnier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Gould
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Asmor wrote:

Ooh. I'm going to have to try this. It's annoying when everyone follows the first person who allies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Ivey
United States
Vadnais Heights
mbmbmbmbmb
People tend to jump on alliances real quick, even if the main players don't offer.

So when people start jumping on alliances I tell them to hold up for a moment.

Then I ask the offense if they want to offer allies, then I ask the defense if they want to offer allies. Then people can go crazy if they want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.