Subject: Trouble with difficulty for heroes/ rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Saint Jovin
Australia
Washington
flag msg tools
Hey Boardgamers,

I'm having trouble with the difficulty for the heroes to win in this game. I'm pretty sure we follow all the rules and I have also downloaded the latest FAQ. I play the zombies exclusively and the reason for that is because I find myself responsible for ensuring the heroes have a good time. I find that I have to constantly choose to handicap myself and not use alot of my zombie cards to give the heroes a fighting chance. I also choose to allow my zombies to follow the heroes rather than play strategically like having my zombies guard certain objectives etc, allowing them to sort of run around them. Even with these strategies, it seems like the heroes only win by a hair. Everyone has a good time but the win sometimes feel alittle cheap because of all the chances I give them. Does anyone else feel the same way or am I doing something wrong?

This is especially true if I start hammering the heroes immediately. I find the most important thing I have to do is at least let the heroes search and find some items before hitting them with my zombie cards etc.

Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brant
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The solution is to stop being the Zombie player and let one of the other players do it. I know you said you play the Z player so you can make sure they have a good time, but it doesn't seem to be working if you are always winning.

Sounds like you're just a better player. Join the heroes!

Of course, you can always give the Heroes some advantage to help out. There are lots of options using the dot system if you have the growing hunger expansion. I'm not able to access it now, but I'm sure someone will chime in here and offer up one of those solutions. I 'think' one of them is to give every here on free hero card to start the game even if they start in the home location.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh C
United States
Sherwood
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like talking smack when I am the zombies. I usually will spot them a dead hero or two.(Zombies have to kill 4 heros instead of 3) Usually they win when i do that, but it makes it more fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Campbell
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SaintJovin wrote:

I also choose to allow my zombies to follow the heroes rather than play strategically like having my zombies guard certain objectives etc,

This is a "theme conflict" I have with this game. I want to play sound strategy and guard objects or hold back for reinforcements or such but then I stop and look at my "characters" and just mumble "brainssss" and stumble along after them. Undead is brain dead after all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Pratt
United States
Anacortes
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Just admit it already, Small World is not a fantasy wargame...it's a Mancala variant!
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a hefty dose of randomness in the game (card shuffle, dice combat, card effects) so sometimes those things can snowball one way or the other. If you are consistently dominating though, it may be a skill level difference, as was previously mentioned. Another issue, which sounds like it may apply to your group, is it might be too strong of an attachment to the role play side of things. Your hero players need to understand things like "Zombie hunger" rules, so they can kite the zombies away from objectives or endangered characters. The same goes with being willing to sometimes throw someone to the wolves for the greater good, which some hero groups are unwilling to do, if they are heavily vested in their character.

Make sure your players understand some of the more detailed rules, because they do make a difference in playing successfully. Another learning curve issue is that new players sometimes underestimate the odds against beating a zombie pack, because beating an individual zombie is so easy. Dice odds aren't always intuitive for some people, so they don't realize that winning four combats in a row is a lot harder than winning one, since rolling the dice more often increases the likelihood of seeing all possible results (meaning the bad ones)...

If you are a gamer, that's obvious. A lot of people who love this game are not though...so it's something you might want to help them out with. (Best way to do that, as mentioned above, is to play a few games from the other side, that way you are giving advice to help win, not to throw the game.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe G
United States
long island
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I must agree with the others and say you may wanna try playing the heroes. maybe if the other members of your group plays as the zombies they will then understand that side of the game better, therefore giving them further insight into playing the game instead of playing just 1 side of it.

things like Zombie hunger, baiting and randomness are key things to remember about this game. if you are 1 space away the zombie must move towards the survivor, that in turn baits them away from objectives like Jeff said. and the possible/probable outcomes of rolling dice and the amount of cards in the decks makes for the gameplay being different each time. i have had a game where the heroes won on the 2nd turn because they all started with the Scenario Search items on top of the Truck in EitT.

and remember, it IS supposed to be hard to kill the zombies, hence "fending them off."

i would also would think that being the undead would get a little tiresome after a while, but thats just my opinion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It may just be one of those things that works for some and not others....luck of the draw. I have NEVER felt the need to go easy on the heroes as a zombie player. To me the game feels pretty balanced....but to each his own.

I imagine the game must not be fun if you, as a zombie player, are always holding back...that has to be boring as hell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Pratt
United States
Anacortes
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Just admit it already, Small World is not a fantasy wargame...it's a Mancala variant!
mbmbmbmbmb
The learning curve generally falls on the Zombie player. In a straight up fight, the heroes tend to be nigh unstoppable (particularly in the original set), until the zombie player learns how to trap and mob. Hearing that the heroes were having problems in the OP's group is why I drew some of the conclusions I did, about his group's play style.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McGuire
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
certainj wrote:
I like talking smack when I am the zombies. I usually will spot them a dead hero or two.(Zombies have to kill 4 heros instead of 3) Usually they win when i do that, but it makes it more fun.

Just wanted to point out that the actual rules are already that the Zombie Player has to kill 4 Heroes to win (or complete their Scenario objective).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Saint Jovin
Australia
Washington
flag msg tools
Thanks for your suggestion guys. We've only played one game since the OP with me as heroes and we won so it could be a skill level difference, plus, (don't wanna jinx myself) I get very lucky with dice rolls... I should take up gambling. Anyways, I think it'll fix itself once we play more often and the group gets more practice.

Thanks again for your suggestions. It's an excellent game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.