Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
23 Posts

Android: Netrunner – Cyber Exodus» Forums » General

Subject: Test Run vs Special Order? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thee Insidius Doktor Glaze & His Sidekick Donut Boy with the Amazing Monkeytime Dancers Ooh!
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I_have_heard_the_mermaids_singing,_each_to_each. I_do_not_think_that_they_will_sing_to_me... We_have_lingered_in_the_chambers_of_the_sea By_sea_girls_wreathed_with_seaweed_red_and_brown Till_human_voices_wake_us,_and_we_drown
mbmbmb
Can anyone think of any interesting cards to combo with Test Run?

It has a few intersting wrinkles in that it's for the Shaper faction and can also pull programs from the Heap. However it only works with Programs (compare to Deja Vu).

It seems expensive versus the 1-cost Special Order: spend 3 and it leaves the card atop your Stack, requiring another click to add it to your hand.

At first glance, all I can come up with is a few runs with Femme Fatale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Thoukydidis
Luxembourg
Esch-sur-Alzette
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Look for your magnum opus, use it 3 times this turn, and then next turn get it in your hand if you need more money in the future.

Look for a Djinn, and then use it to search for a virus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc-Andre Blanchet
Canada
Sherbrooke
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Look for an Imp. Reset it at EOT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Thomas
United Kingdom
Enfield
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It gets any program, not just icebreakers and it gets them back from your discard, useful if an ICE has trashed them. Doesn't really combo with anything other than Femme Fatale,

Still, useful for getting Magnum Opus quickly to the top of your deck.

Also it works quite nicely with Noise and any virus. Retrive from discard, immediately installing and discarding top card of R&D. Next turn retrieve from top of deck and install again for discarding top card of R&D. It gives you another 6 R&D discards for Noise to wreak havoc with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ony Moose
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it would be good with a single Sneakdoor Beta in your deck. Test run, hit HQ 3 times then Sneakdoor goes to top of deck. Does the opponent now ice up Archives? If they don't you might install Sneakdoor and hit them some more. On the other hand you can never install it/discard it as a threat and waste the corps time installing ice they won't need.

Or to fetch a single net shield. Seems quiet good vs Jinteki for getting a net shield out if you are having trouble with Fetal AI etc.

It can be a ghetto Maker'e eye if you pull a medium and run 3 times, but that seems rather wasteful.

Parasite a Rototurret to kill it? Probably better off simply grabbing a killer.

Fetching a single Djin in a shaper deck could be useful, which can then fetch your Medium and parasites?

Getting a Morningstar could be devastating if you can then do some very cheap/free(Toolbox) runs through what they thought was impregnable defences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Thoukydidis
Luxembourg
Esch-sur-Alzette
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AdmiralGT wrote:
It gets any program, not just icebreakers and it gets them back from your discard, useful if an ICE has trashed them. Doesn't really combo with anything other than Femme Fatale,

Still, useful for getting Magnum Opus quickly to the top of your deck.

Also it works quite nicely with Noise and any virus. Retrive from discard, immediately installing and discarding top card of R&D. Next turn retrieve from top of deck and install again for discarding top card of R&D. It gives you another 6 R&D discards for Noise to wreak havoc with.

Shit, didn't notice it could retrieve from discard. This becomes an absolute beast with Noise, Datasucker and Parasite. Parasite and ICE and let it die slowly while your Datasucker gathers counters. When Parasite dies, test run it and play it on a weak ice and kill it with datasucker counters in the same turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Thomas
United Kingdom
Enfield
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the program is trashed then it doesn't go back to the top of your stack. So you can't use it to trash 2 pieces of ICE with Parasite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Special Order's more efficient, Test Run's broader. Both are excellent, and you can never be too consistent. When I get my Cyber Exodus, I'm testing Chaos Theory with three of each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Hall

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmb
I think that you use Test Run if you have useful programs, not just to search out ICE breakers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lieffring
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DbZer0 wrote:
Look for your magnum opus, use it 3 times this turn, and then next turn get it in your hand if you need more money in the future.

This is essentially giving up a turn to topdeck your Magnum Opus, since the credits you spend on the test run exactly cancel out the extra credits you're getting from having Magnum Opus installed. It's not an objectively terrible move, but it doesn't exactly seem strong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IncompleteUserNa wrote:
DbZer0 wrote:

This is essentially giving up a turn to topdeck your Magnum Opus, since the credits you spend on the test run exactly cancel out the extra credits you're getting from having Magnum Opus installed. It's not an objectively terrible move, but it doesn't exactly seem strong.

I was thinking the exact same thing. If you have all your icebreakers or are generally in a good position you could do that, otherwise I believe it's more worth playing on other programs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My plan, for now:
- 2x Special Order
- 2x Tinker

+ 2x Test Run
+ 1x Sneakdoor Beta
+ 1x Femme Fatale

Will probably try to slot in a third Test Run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Chan
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andrewbwm wrote:
IncompleteUserNa wrote:
DbZer0 wrote:

I was thinking the exact same thing. If you have all your icebreakers or are generally in a good position you could do that, otherwise I believe it's more worth playing on other programs.

Doing it this way lets you start profiting from MO two clicks earlier versus just installing it normally. Modded only gives you one extra click in this situation, though, which isn't worth it considering Modded's one click draw opportunity cost (at least, without draw accelerators). Unless you need the credits now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Best targets are:

Sneakdoor Beta! (do this, hit 3 times. You don't even have to reinstall it later if they ice Archives).
Medium. 1-of medium gives a strong R&D attack, espcially with Maker's Eye.
Djinn. A 1-of Djinn that you test out, that then allows you to tutor out you 1-of medium, your datasucker, your parasites, and then fixes your memory.
Femme Fatale. Put it on a face down ice you have to get through to hit that agenda. Watch them not even rez it. Then the femme goes on your deck and later you can play it on whatever huge thing actually gets rezzed.
Your missing icebreaker type.

And last, your Magnum Opus if you cant draw it. However this is super inefficient so its an emergency play. Drawing opus normally is much better, saving your test run for 1-of influence programs like Sneakdoor or Medium, or as an icebreaker tutor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mychal
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Special Order is definitely the more efficient card for getting out the program permanently, but what really matter to me is that Test Run can pull programs out of your heap. This is fantastic for my Shaper deck that only runs 1xNinja and 1xCorroder, which previously had to be EXTREMELY careful not to let either one get trashed. Now I can hold onto a test run as an emergency back-up (Which lets me drop the Deja Vu that was previously doing this, saving me 2 influence).

I'm super psyched about this card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Thoukydidis
Luxembourg
Esch-sur-Alzette
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IncompleteUserNa wrote:
DbZer0 wrote:

I think you forget an important detail about this, this combo allows you to have just 2 magnum opus for economy and yet guarantee that you'll get one second turn in almost every game. This allows you to replace 3 slots your other economy cards took over, with the more versatile Test Run and even possibly stick with just 2 MOs in your deck for economy and nothing else.

A combo that guarantees a good economy from 2nd or 3rd turn is really strong imho.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Freeman
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
All very good points that I agree with Db. Not only do you coup the cost of Magnum Opus with this play BUT you also overcome the biggest weakness of the card, which is getting it out late in the game. The sooner you get that card out, the sooner you have a stronger economy than the corporation for the rest of the game.

Plus if you have modded magnum opus, you actually net a credit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DbZer0 wrote:

I think you forget an important detail about this, this combo allows you to have just 2 magnum opus for economy and yet guarantee that you'll get one second turn in almost every game. This allows you to replace 3 slots your other economy cards took over, with the more versatile Test Run and even possibly stick with just 2 MOs in your deck for economy and nothing else.

A combo that guarantees a good economy from 2nd or 3rd turn is really strong imho.

I really follow this point, owning only one core set, it really helps me get my Magnum Opus faster and helps me get rid of those annoying Armitage Codebusting cards that keep on clogging my hand after I draw the first Magnum Opus. Not sure if it will show up turn 2 or 3 as often as you would want it but it certainly improves your chances of getting a good economy going by a lot.

My problem is that it really takes out a bit of the surprise element that Test Run offers. I'm not saying I wouldn't do it, I'm sure that I will use Test Run to get Magnum Opus quite often. I'm just saying that I'd be a lot happier to draw Magnum Opus the good ol' fashion way and use Test Run on something a bit sneakier.

I really think Test Run with Chaos Theory will really help you to get that super rig, really fast.

It also helps Noise quite a bit, I'm not sure Djinn would be that good of a candidate as Alex suggested. I rarely want to spend 6 credits and 4 clicks to draw my 3 favourite viruses, I'd rather just get the one that I really want right now using Test Run.

Criminals are obviously also boosted as the best targets for it are Femme Fatale and Sneakdoor Beta right now. Only problem is that it might not be worth the 2 influence points and 2 extra credits just too upgrade your special orders.

All in all a great and fun card, really happy we have it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pavlos Pavlopoulos
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
Wow, add me to the list who hadn't noticed it fetches stuff from the Heap...

So packing three of these and ONE femme means that in a long game you'll potentially get 2-3 dirt cheap full turn femmes... Hmmmm....

I'm just excited because I can free up my special order influence in my Spinal Kate deck for some breaker diversity. Or make a Spinal Wunderkind trimmed deck, potentially console-less.

The possibilities!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can even intentionally overdraw and discard FF if you know you want to Test Run it, rather than cast it from hand. Repeatedly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Removed on account of me being stupid. modest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AndrewRogue wrote:
Not the most efficient use (since you won't be able to recover the AI), but the ability to instantly access Helpful AI for a three run turn seems pretty solid.

Helpful AI is a resource, it will not work on him or his scarf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andrewbwm wrote:
AndrewRogue wrote:
Not the most efficient use (since you won't be able to recover the AI), but the ability to instantly access Helpful AI for a three run turn seems pretty solid.

Helpful AI is a resource, it will not work on him or his scarf.

Derp. Right. Silly me. Silly Helpful AI and silly Ice Carver with their slight unintuitive typing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.