Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Hodge
United States
Hanover
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got Descent and the expansion and I love the game but unfortunately I don't have the skill and certainly don't have the time to invest into painting all the great minis in this game. So I'm hoping to just throw money at the problem.

Can anybody recommend a good miniature painting service with reasonable prices and turn-around to get my minis painted?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wheal
United States
Kosse
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
loads online.. but what used to work for me...

Suck it up.. head down to your nearest Games Workshop.. take a deep breath and head inside...

Now check out all those kids with their painted armies... examine the minis closely... then ask the proud owner of the style of painting you like if he / she would be interested in doing some work for you..

Said owner is bankrupt from playing 40k etc and you can negotiate something that pleases both of you...

failing that..

www.paintedfigs.com or head over to www.theminiaturespage.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Hodge
United States
Hanover
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWAlbion wrote:

Suck it up.. head down to your nearest Games Workshop.. take a deep breath and head inside...

Now check out all those kids with their painted armies... examine the minis closely... then ask the proud owner of the style of painting you like if he / she would be interested in doing some work for you..

Said owner is bankrupt from playing 40k etc and you can negotiate something that pleases both of you...

failing that..

I considered that but there's so much risk involved. What's to stop the kid from taking my minis and finding a new GW store to play at? I'd rather get it done through something a little more reputable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of regulars at local game stores are known by name by the owners of the stores. You could ask the owners to see if somebody is reputable. In general, I'd consider it relatively unrisky, but perhaps I trust other people too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skolo
Netherlands
R`dam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do the painting but my location is Europe so shipping costs here and back... well.shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Mrosek
Germany
Hessdorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
same for me here. shake

i once painted the first edition and have sold it off then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
soccastar001 wrote:
Can anybody recommend a good miniature painting service...

Yes, sure.

soccastar001 wrote:
...with reasonable prices?

Oh. Um, nope.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Munch
Denmark
Lystrup
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
soccastar001 wrote:
I considered that but there's so much risk involved. What's to stop the kid from taking my minis and finding a new GW store to play at? I'd rather get it done through something a little more reputable.

Only agree to deliver your ships at his home adress so you can see where he lives, or ask to see some ID? That's really not so hard.. Also, he's not allowed to play that game at a GW store anyway, so chances are he has nothing to use the ships for anyway.

And painting is the best part of the miniature gaming thing, so get started yourself!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to know how much this costs... Any ideas? I'm just finishing the full 58 hero miniatures and they take me about 30-45min each...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Hodge
United States
Hanover
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thain Esh Kelch wrote:
soccastar001 wrote:

Only agree to deliver your ships at his home adress so you can see where he lives, or ask to see some ID? That's really not so hard.. Also, he's not allowed to play that game at a GW store anyway, so chances are he has nothing to use the ships for anyway.

And painting is the best part of the miniature gaming thing, so get started yourself!!

I would if I had ANYWHERE near the time to do so. I simply wanted the game but don't have the time to paint let alone learn how to paint then paint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately time is most essential resource each of us has, and there's always not enough of it. As a matter of fact Descent portrays that problem pretty realistically and people complain it's not thematic.

It takes ~hour to paint a hero(little less, but you have to add time for cleaning your tools, gazing how cool it looks etc). Monsters often take less, but you have more of them to do.

That means that painting for an hour per day one needs about 40 days to finish everything from 2nd edition, take or give 2 weeks.

I should add one gets faster with practice, but with practice one also grows more critical of own work, drawing more details and with more care, so the time to paint a mini doesn't change - the quality does.

I looked at MWAlbion's links and it looks like they want around $4 per mini, which would come out to almost $200(if you include expansion and they take more for bigger minis). I'm pretty sure you could get it done MUCH cheaper by finding painter boy at local GW. Also you locally you can assign him to paint gradually, say, only monsters for next gaming session, if the group can decide on quest beforehand.

Of course you have to take into account that paying for set of paints and brushes will also cost you some tens of dollars, and if you want to only paint Descent 2nd edition it's not worth it. If there are more games waiting for color then it's probably good.

I also have problem with time, but I still manage to find an hour from time to time to paint, I also can watch TV while painting, which makes me multitask. But I know that if I had children then painting would be impossible, those are just too time-consuming.

I'm ranting a bit, so long story short - take a while to think if you really can't spare an hour to paint, otherwise local GW store is your best, cheapest bet with pretty good quality, that you can measure beforehand. They won't want to steal your minis - compared to theirs Descent has ugly, awful, low quality minis that have no value for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Martin
United States
Ellicott City
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
soccastar001 wrote:
MWAlbion wrote:

failing that..

1) Your local Games Workshop can point you to good folks.
2) ALWAYS record their ID card (take a picture or write down their info)
3) Only give them a few minis at a time. Try them out on one or two and if they do a good job, give them 6, etc..
4) Write down the terms of your agreement and give him a copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Areinu wrote:
It takes ~hour to paint a hero(little less, but you have to add time for cleaning your tools, gazing how cool it looks etc).

If this is true, then I am the slowest painter on the face of the planet. I haven't painted Descent 2ed heroes, but a typical "hero" figure takes me many hours to complete.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm new at painting but am generally pretty efficient at things. I did mine in sets of 10 at a time. 10min to trim, 5min to wash, 5min to prime the full set. Then 20-30 min each to do the painting (4 to 6 hours for the set of 10), then 5-15 min each for wash and highlight (1 to 2 hours), then 10 min for a few coats of sealant. That is 5h30 to 8h30 for each set of 10, or 33 to 51min each. I like doing them in sets so I can paint one color on one mini, then another color on the next mini, etc. When I get back to the first it is dry.

I have some preliminary pics in my gallery and hope to post the full set soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidT wrote:
Areinu wrote:
It takes ~hour to paint a hero(little less, but you have to add time for cleaning your tools, gazing how cool it looks etc).

If this is true, then I am the slowest painter on the face of the planet. I haven't painted Descent 2ed heroes, but a typical "hero" figure takes me many hours to complete.

Oh, no, no. It can take weeks to paint one hero, or even months - it depends on when do you call stops.

If one is no painter and just wants to have color on the minis that looks well on the table then what I stated is enough.

If one wants to pimp their minis, do real shading, make people go "wow" when seeing those minis... Then many hours is good approximation. I'm only doing the basics, as you can see in my gallery. You're doing magic, as I can see in your gallery. With my current skills I probably wouldn't be able to paint minis as well as you do even if I spent 10 times more time on each than you do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidT wrote:
Areinu wrote:

I'm a novice painter, but it typically takes me around 10-12 hours to do a single figure from start to finish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Areinu wrote:
DavidT wrote:
Areinu wrote:

Oh, no, no. It can take weeks to paint one hero, or even months - it depends on when do you call stops.

If one is no painter and just wants to have color on the minis that looks well on the table then what I stated is enough.

If one wants to pimp their minis, do real shading, make people go "wow" when seeing those minis... Then many hours is good approximation. I'm only doing the basics, as you can see in my gallery. You're doing magic, as I can see in your gallery. With my current skills I probably wouldn't be able to paint minis as well as you do even if I spent 10 times more time on each than you do.

That is very nice of you to say. blush And don't sell yourself short--your gallery pics look great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
squash wrote:
DavidT wrote:
Areinu wrote:

I'm a novice painter, but it typically takes me around 10-12 hours to do a single figure from start to finish.

That definitely makes me feel better. I'm embarrassed to say how long I've been spending on my latest project (Mice & Mystics). But, suffice to say, I don't play new games like this till they're painted, and I bought M&M via preorder. Still haven't played it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks

DavidT wrote:
squash wrote:
DavidT wrote:
Areinu wrote:

That definitely makes me feel better. I'm embarrassed to say how long I've been spending on my latest project (Mice & Mystics). But, suffice to say, I don't play new games like this till they're painted, and I bought M&M via preorder. Still haven't played it.

Actually that's main reason why I still didn't get Mice and Mystics. Second reason it's not translated to Polish, so my nephew would have a bit hard time playing. But till I paint all my Terrinoth stuff and all Talisman minis I have(not that many, because I have only small expansions) I'm not buying new miniature oriented games.

Actually painting is good way to force oneself to spend less money on games I look at painting as another way to enjoy the game and get my entertainment out of my cash
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Waxman

Falcon Heights
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Normally for very detailed show figures I'll spend several hours. However, for my monsters, as I'm planning to paint first and second editions, I've been trying out speed painting.

Lots of black priming, lots of drybrushing, AND LETTING MYSELF BE LESS THAN PERFECT )

Took a while to get past the obsessiveness of past mini painting, but I'm doing assembly line-esque work such as knocking off 8 Kobolds in an hour or 2.

I'm even thinking of taking low cost commissions if people can live with "table good" not "competition level" pieces.

Who knows, I may be painting someone's Mice and Mystics stuff eventually !

Ben
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly Ben! I find those are crucial in painting so many minis, and the only way to actually enjoy the process:

(taking from your post)
*LETTING MYSELF BE LESS THAN PERFECT
*black priming
*get past the obsessiveness
*live with "table good" pieces

Actually I'm not doing much drybrushing for heroes, thus I left that one out.

My girlfriend at first spent ages on a mini because she couldn't let even one tiny bit be not PERFRCT. She also needed to take days off, because her obsessiveness was driving her mad, and she couldn't stand paining that figure at some point. Once she saw some of my "table good" minis she adapted and now also takes about 1-2 hours per hero(she still cares about little things more than I do).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm talking about 30-45min per hero, and I see others who are probably more experienced than I am talking about "only" 2-3hrs per mini by sacrificing perfection. Question is: am I really fast or really bad? I like my results but don't have great minis to compare against. Picture isn't great, but here is an example of my work:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Martin
United States
Ellicott City
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkbauer wrote:
I like my results but don't have great minis to compare against.

Here, let me google that for you:

http://bit.ly/Y9cdAh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grahamers2002 wrote:
kirkbauer wrote:

I can find pictures, but I don't see too many I like more than my own, but I don't have an artistic eye...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Martin
United States
Ellicott City
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkbauer wrote:
Grahamers2002 wrote:
kirkbauer wrote:

I can find pictures, but I don't see too many I like more than my own, but I don't have an artistic eye...

What you like is all that counts when you are creating something for yourself! Enjoy them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.