Subject: Perfect modular Mage Wars board tiles rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J. Green
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been keeping an eye out for a way to create an effective, attractive Mage Wars modular board, and I have just found it at my local FLGS: the Dust Tactics terrain tile set.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/101789/dust-tact...
For $29 (retail...support your local game stores!), you get 12 large, double-sided, mounted square boards with a textured finish and interesting patterns: ice/snow, water, and grunge-metal-factory floors.

With 12 tiles, it's easy to create a 3x4 checkerboard pattern for full size Mage Wars games, or smaller boards in a variety of configurations. With these tiles, you could do the 2x3 zone board that the Apprentice/Demo rules use for teaching the game, or an even tighter 2x2 board that is like a "knife fight in a telephone booth." Or you could do a 3x3 9-zone board, or take out the center tile and do a "donut" 3x3 board.

I even picked up some 3rd party plastic red "Charge/Retreat" arrows made for use with Warhammer to create "wrap-around" configurations...indicating zones that are dimensionally connected so you could run off a zone at the bottom of the board and into a zone at the top of the board.

Another great thing about these Dust Tactics terrain tiles is that each one is split into 9 small zones which are just about big enough to fit a Mage Wars card...making for very easy visual organization of the various creatures/objects in a zone.

I'm really looking forward to using these new tiles to build quick, easy Mage Wars setups and start doing demos at my local game store. I am also looking at getting some of the Ultra-Pro 300 card vinyl binders for spell books, the ones with sheets that hold 9 cards each. Much more practical than the small books and you could basically hold your entire collection in 2 of them; using the revised spell lists you could organize an entire game box of cards into spell books + extras of all four Mages, with the pre-built spell books toward the front and back and extras in the middle. Then just flip the book over if you want the other mage in the book.

I can see fitting my entire Mage Wars game into 2 Ultra-Pro binders, a Plano storage box and a sleeve to hold the Dust Tactics tiles. This would make an organized, small and portable setup for travel, and keep everything nice and protected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OMF.....

Awesome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you distinguish the zones at a glance? I like the idea but I would be concerned about how well they would work once you have cards all over the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Green
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The patterns on the tiles are slightly different for each one. Basically I would do a "checkerboard" pattern like a chess board using the two sides of the boards to create a sharp visual contrast, if you can't differentiate between the tiles at a glance. Since they are two sided, and all but 3-4 of the boards have a "snow" side as well as a metal/grunge side. Good question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Green
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, you could use a toothbrush & some paint to do "blood spatters" on some of the tiles, which would be awesome on the snow and creepy on the metal sides. Also you could use those "Snap & Pop" firecrackers to do authentice fire "blast" marks on the tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Zed
Canada
flag msg tools
Great find! How would you jazz them up to make them fit the mage theme though?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Green
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NovemberAdam wrote:
Great find! How would you jazz them up to make them fit the mage theme though?

The previous two comments I made include those suggestions. Also, the main game board is pretty nondescript...just a stone floor with some blood spatters and blast marks and some skeletons and bodies and torches. I mentioned already how to add everything but the skeletons and torches. The nice thing about these tiles is they work well for the intended purpose and happen to have cool textures in terms of visual... an ice arena or a metal/grunge arena.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.