Subject: gateway game for 9yr old boy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vergililus De Kat
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

My girlfriends 9 year old nephew is coming over this weekend and we were thinking of playing (a couple of) boardgames.

Based on the "gatewey games-geeklists" and our collection I was thinking of bringing out following games:

* Carcassonne;
* Zooloretto;
* Settlers of Catan;
* Hey that's my fish;
* Takenoko
* Bohnanza and
* Ticket to Ride Märklin (but w/out passenger rules (I don't own the original TTR))

Which of those do you think will be most suitable?
We think of playing 2 maybe 3 different games at the most.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey That's My Fish and Carcassonne get my vote(s).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
Your first three are pretty good. Remember that a new gamer may want to play the same game again instead of learning a new one each time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chelsea
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I helped manage/run a public day care taking care of this exact age. From personal experience, I can tell you that the best game to teach a kid between 8-11 years of age is Forbidden Island. It is easy enough to teach before they lose attention. There is no true scoring to keep track of. The anxiety rush they feel is absolutely hilarious for adults as they attempt to escape the island before it sinks. Many of my kids there treated it as if it were a roleplaying game even though they have obviously never roleplayed before. They were just that into the game that they felt emotionally connected to it. Furthermore, it taught strategy and cooperation.

The first game we played, I helped lead the "expedition" as we tried gathering the 4 treasures and escape the island before it sank. Every subsequent game, however, I merely played the island and let 4 kids cooperate on their own. It was truly something I'll never forget, watching them work together and having a blast. These were kids that didn't always get along when playing competitive sports or in the classroom. They were athletes and karate kids, loners and drama queens. But when it came to Forbidden Island, they were adventurers working together. I can't encourage you enough to pay the $15 or so bucks for Forbidden Island. It is truly a gem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chelsea
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I sincerely apologize. I think I found this thread in the recommendations forum, and I immediately jumped to the conclusion that you were looking to buy something new. I must have read over the fact that you already own all the games on your list. I'm very sorry. I've played many games on your list, and of those, I can safely say that I would cross out Carcassone, Settlers of Catan, Takenoko, and Ticket to Ride.

I personally would play Hey that's my fish a few times and then move into Bohnanza.

Provided you don't get Forbidden Island before your nephew comes over
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bryce kartchner
United States
Centerville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll also vote for Hey, That's My Fish!. If he does well with that game, I would move to Carcassonne. JAB: Realtime Boxing is another good one to get your hands on before he comes over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take joy from your wins; take lessons from your losses.
United States
Davidsonville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Go to Goodwill and get a copy of Risk. Seriously, nine-year-old boys don't care much about fish.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dudes on a Map game work almost every time for 9 year old boys. Axis and Allies is my usual go to for youth groups.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a 9 year old would thoroughly enjoy Kingdom Builder

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Volk
United States
Richfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.mortificationofspin.org/
mbmbmbmbmb
While we are adding to the list - Castle Panic

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Groeneweg
United States
Clear Lake
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have to go with That's my fish and Zooloretto.
I have kids in that age range and they like Zooloretto a lot. I think they would like that's my fish, but alas, we don't have that one... YET!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamille
Germany
Berlin
F/hain
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good Selection. I would show him Settlers, Ticket to Ride and Bohnanza or Zooloretto. All with a little explanation of what´s happening in the Game. Then let him decide what he wants to play.

Hartelijke groeten, Hessi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing Ticket to Ride without passengers might work. Zoollertto as well.

I'd second Castle Panic if you were purchasing things. Gave this to an 11 year old nephew, who utterly adored it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Gerlach
United States
Watertown
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For a 9-year-old who is new to gaming, the ones from your list that I would choose would be Carcasonne, Ticket to Ride, Takenoko, and Settlers.. in that order. I've been introducing some of my kids' friends and some nieces and nephews to gaming since my recent move. These games seem to work pretty well, though I would agree with some of the earlier sentiments about Forbidden Island and Castle Panic. It's nice to be able to introduce kids to games by playing along with them sometimes instead of playing against them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vergililus De Kat
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys,

Thanks for the advice. Choosing a gateway game for adults is easy (TTR, Settlers, Takenoko), but for a 9 year old...

So based on your suggestions we're going to play
* Zooloretto
* Hey that's my fish
* Carc and
* Bohnanza

If things go well we'l step up to TTR and Settlers (and before you know it we're taking him to Spiel devil)

About Forbidden Island:
I know it's a super gateway game and I love to play it. Only thing is, one our friends in our regular gaming group already owns it, so my grilfriend and decided we're not going to buy it .

Anyway: thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
yuck, when i was 9 years old i probably wouldn't want to have played any of those games. before deciding on a game you should ask him what his interests are and then show him your whole collection and let him pick the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vergilius wrote:

* Carcassonne;
* Zooloretto;
* Settlers of Catan;
* Hey that's my fish;
* Takenoko
* Bohnanza and
* Ticket to Ride Märklin (but w/out passenger rules (I don't own the original TTR))

Which of those do you think will be most suitable?

All the games on your list might fit.
I´d say the best way is to hook him with the theme. Does he prefere penguins over pandas? Trains or Middleage? ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Liken
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at your micro badges, I see you are a big Small World fan. Why not try that? It is a bit trickier than some of the others, but I'm sure the theme might appeal more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lear
United Kingdom
Lewes
Sussex
flag msg tools
With skill his story will unfold
mbmbmb
My experience of boys playing games is that the theme matters, as does conflict.

Small World is a massive hit. Put any combination of race/power together, and you get "UNDERWORLD DWARVES!!!! COOL" or "DRAGONLORD ELVES!!! AWESOME", etc. That's before you even do anything. Plus, they get to have fights. Fights are good.

Asking them to correctly value wheat or rock depending on fluctuating supply and demand considerations is less exciting.

They are also strangely undiscerning, and even after lots of successful exposure to really good games (like Caylus) tend to prefer ones where you can be a wizard and cast spells.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.