Toebus
United States
Bentonville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
Best card in the game!
mbmbmbmbmb
My inlaws found and fell in love with Phase 10. It's an okay game but takes ages to complete and is too luck driven.

So I'm looking for a simple to learn set collection card game. The first thing that came to mind was Coloretto. Any other suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Cantrell
United States
Roanoke
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not familiar with Phase 10 but for me Mystery Rummy: Jack the Ripper has been a hit as far as set collecting goes. If the theme is a turn-off there's also Wyatt Earp which is in the same vein. I enjoy Coloretto as well, definitely recommend that one.

Edit to add: Biblios. Set collecting with an extra little layer of strategy as well, easy to teach and quick to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride is less luck-driven than Phase 10, but it still involves set collection. I think it generally takes us about an hour to play Ticket to Ride.

Other light games worth checking out:
SET
TransAmerica
Diamant (or Diamant)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Allen
United States
Astatula
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Coloretto is indeed a great choice to get away from Phase 10. It's simpler, lighter and faster but more interesting.

Ticket to Ride is a perfect next step from there. It still has cards and set collecting but you use the sets to claim track links on the board for points. It's my #1 most popular game among family and non-gamers. The rules are trivial and for 3 players it usually takes 45 minutes.

Hanabi is a simple card game where you are all on the same team trying to work together to play out cards of 5 colors in a particular order. It's very quick but novel and fun and gets you all trying to work together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't read your original post closely enough. I apologize.

I agree. For me, Phase 10 isn't much fun. It almost always turns out that the person who draws the most wild cards wins.

Yes, Coloretto is a good set collection game, but it definitely has a mean aspect, where you try to make the remaining "piles" of cards as worthless as possible for the other players. Phase 10 doesn't really have that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sechzger
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hanabi is really great

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bowles
Australia
Tatura
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't played Phase 10, but I've seen it and it reminds me of
Boom-O - I wonder if there's many similarities?

Parade is like an anti-set collection game that is probably similar in difficulty. You don't want to pick up any cards, but if you really have to you'd rather get them in sets and then you only benefit if you have more of that colour than everyone else. Plays great with 2 right up to 6 players.
Oh and it has a great mix of tactics and planning and randomness.

edit: Sorry, Boom-o is nothing like Phase 10.
Phase 10 is similar to Oh Hell! I believe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Charters
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Coloretto - Quick and fun.
+1 Ticket to Ride - Expand beyond cards to what may be the best set collection game out there. Set-up is extremely quick (like a card game). Rules are almost as simple as Phase 10 (actually simplier, because you don't have to remember what you're going for in every Phase)
+1 Biblios - great game, adds an auction mechanic...and works very well 2P

Other games to consider:
Rummikub - you can pick it up as a thrift store. Although it's tiles in place of cards, it may be a fun alternative.
Alhambra -- now this is more in the board games space (not the card game space). But it's pretty simple and they may enjoy it
Five Crowns - this is a rummy variant like Phase10....sounds like it would be right up their alley.
Jaipur - if they usual play 2P, this would be a good game for them. Collect sets, then sell them in the market place. Simple, quick, fun. Basically a card game with a few cardboard chits to represent the points you score in the marketplace.

I enjoy Hanabi, but it's so different from every other card game, you'd want to make sure it's something that they would enjoy replaying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.