Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Zuccarelli
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting development to say the least.

"The last 10 days have been interesting. We passed the midway point toward our initial goal; and if we didn’t change anything, we believe we’d successfully fund this campaign. Whether we’d hit our $300,000 Android stretch goal is more in question...

BUT, it’s clear that our campaign was messy and confusing, leaving many people out and disappointing others.

Making the goal of the campaign the funding of a new ipad version we had already decided to do was wrong.
Having Android as a stretch goal was a mistake. We underestimated people’s reluctance to fund a platform that might not happen.
Making the designer edition the centerpiece of the campaign’s rewards left people wondering “whether we were trying to fund the software or the Designer Edition?”

So we’ve come to the conclusion... It’s time for a re-boot.

What does that mean?

Tonight (Thursday January 24) at midnight EST, we will cancel this campaign.
We will immediately go back to the drawing board to create a new campaign, that will launch in mid-March.
This new campaign will focus on a single goal: funding an Android tablets and Steam PC version of Small World 2.

In the meantime, we will continue to read comments and post updates on this page after the campaign is cancelled. We want to hear what you - backers and critics alike - have to say.

With your input, we’re confident our next campaign can be a success for all!

Signed,

The Humbled Trolls of Small World

P.S. Don’t worry, the Designer Edition won’t disappear. We are thinking of a new way to offer it to people more simply."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
danzuke wrote:
Interesting development to say the least.

"The last 10 days have been interesting. We passed the midway point toward our initial goal; and if we didn’t change anything, we believe we’d successfully fund this campaign. Whether we’d hit our $300,000 Android stretch goal is more in question...

BUT, it’s clear that our campaign was messy and confusing, leaving many people out and disappointing others.

Making the goal of the campaign the funding of a new ipad version we had already decided to do was wrong.
Having Android as a stretch goal was a mistake. We underestimated people’s reluctance to fund a platform that might not happen.
Making the designer edition the centerpiece of the campaign’s rewards left people wondering “whether we were trying to fund the software or the Designer Edition?”

So we’ve come to the conclusion... It’s time for a re-boot.

What does that mean?

Tonight (Thursday January 24) at midnight EST, we will cancel this campaign.
We will immediately go back to the drawing board to create a new campaign, that will launch in mid-March.
This new campaign will focus on a single goal: funding an Android tablets and Steam PC version of Small World 2.

In the meantime, we will continue to read comments and post updates on this page after the campaign is cancelled. We want to hear what you - backers and critics alike - have to say.

With your input, we’re confident our next campaign can be a success for all!

Signed,

P.S. Don’t worry, the Designer Edition won’t disappear. We are thinking of a new way to offer it to people more simply."

Can't blame them. Took some balls. Looking forward to it either way.

I hope this means that if the Designer Edition is separate and not part of trying to fund the platforms, that maybe it will appear for cheaper than $321... because I would sure love to get it, just not at that price
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
One of the best decisions DOW has made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Garbett
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Will Provide Statistics for Data
mbmbmbmbmb
danzuke wrote:

Signed,

So they were trolling us all along
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Bias
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love that they say they're asking for our money through KS so they don't have to ask for our money through in-app purchases. If we give money, we get "free" digital expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Minkoff
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
Dum, Dum, Dum dum dum, Dum!
badge
"Money isn't everything, but it's a tie-breaker in Power Grid!"
mbmbmbmbmb
soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So what does that mean for the new possible ios versions? The only thing I cared about from that campaign was realms + underground on ios.

I hope they don't just drop these now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Rasmussen
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rrrrupp wrote:
So what does that mean for the new possible ios versions? The only thing I cared about from that campaign was realms + underground on ios.

They hadn't even announced those as Stretch Goals yet...so Realms and Underground would not have happened for the iOS this time anyway. I imagine they'll include it for the reboot, or as a stretch goal or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wanting the physical expansion bits at the $30 level and would like the book that was available at the $65 level.

DOW needs to open up a store on their website where they offer some of this miscellaneous stuff at a realistic price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Kunst
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a good development. I hope they are thinking about shipping the designer's edition from France as well. Would save lots of fans a lot of shipping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rasmussen81 wrote:
rrrrupp wrote:

They hadn't even announced those as Stretch Goals yet...so Realms and Underground would not have happened for the iOS this time anyway. I imagine they'll include it for the reboot, or as a stretch goal or something.

They stated that they would be releasing goals for those though... which was my point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
Lebanon
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Penny Press Kickstarter: 1,284 backers - $60,376! Amazing! Thank you!!!
badge
Play Penny Press!
mbmbmbmbmb
Good decision! That took some guts. I have no doubt they will come back, better organized, better prepared, and hopefully with a cheaper, better value for money, designers edition.

I hope DOW doesn't underestimate the market there is for these products. I suspect a lot of people, me included, pledged at either a lower level for now, or not at all, just waiting for some of the vagueness of the KS campaign to clear up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Rasmussen
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rrrrupp wrote:
rasmussen81 wrote:
rrrrupp wrote:

They stated that they would be releasing goals for those though... which was my point.

Ah, I see. I would bet that those goals are still in place. But now they can focus their fundraising a little better in the next version and it sounds like there will be pledge levels that appeal to iOS users only, Android Users only, and other items of interest.

I'll bet it'll go a lot smoother next time and we'll see a lot more of those stretch goals reached. I'm excited to see what it looks like. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håkan König
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Good decision. Now I will pledge since I know that what I pay will go to a Steam and/or Android version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gutted about the limited edition board. Hope it's not going to be forever before it emerges again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Dawkins
United States
Fountain
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
biffta wrote:
Gutted about the limited edition board. Hope it's not going to be forever before it emerges again.

New campaign launches in March, with more details in the next couple of weeks. It's all on the Kickstarter page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
That was possibly the most confounding kickstarter I've ever seen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper A
Denmark
Frederikshavn
na
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hockey Mask wrote:
I was wanting the physical expansion bits at the $30 level

Don't worry about that. DOW started out saying they would only work for the digital version. When they realized the campaign was not going too well, they added the physical componets - yes... for an expansion they said wouldn't work for the physical game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Theriot
United States
Metairie
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This was a hot mess from the word go. Hopefully when they come back they'll have lower tier rewards as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Rasmussen
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alfons wrote:
Hockey Mask wrote:
I was wanting the physical expansion bits at the $30 level

Don't worry about that. DOW started out saying they would only work for the digital version. When they realized the campaign was not going too well, they added the physical componets - yes... for an expansion they said wouldn't work for the physical game.

Actually...DoW added the Cardboard versions of the Races and Powers because so many people wanted them. And they said clearly that the new Races and Powers were designed for the digital version and might be difficult in the physical version.

You make it sound like they were trying to slip something past everyone. Not true at all!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Verace Xenirvana
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I know personally I was completely uninterested in pledging to a campaign where I was getting nothing out of it, having no apple devices to play the lower tier stuff on. You've gotta offer something people actually want at the lower levels
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't fault DoW for jumping on the bandwagon. You can't be a game publisher these days without starting a Kickstarter controversy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After re-reading the update on kickstarter, it sounds like they're going to run into the same problems with the original kickstarter but in reverse. It really boggles my mind if they really do plan on only having a single kickstarter campaign again.

It sounds like they will have one kickstarter that is focused on getting SW to android devices. As an ios user... this new direction is completely uninteresting to me and if they add "incentives" for ios/phyiscal game users they are just repeating the same mistakes they made with the first campaign. I don't want my ios goals tied to a campaign about android.

They really need 3 separate campaigns or they will run into the same issues they had with the first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Moskop
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good for them. I for one agree with them that it was kinda haphazard. I love Small World and I would hate to see this done wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hubbard
United States
Mullica Hill
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
As someone without an iPad who would prefer to play on Steam first, Android second, I appreciate DoW making this decision. As for iOS people, I imagine the new KS project might include some exclusive races and/or board game materials much like the current $30 pledge levels. Something that might entice them to participate... hopefully at a reduced price.

As for the deluxe edition, I'm anxious to see what they're going to do. I wonder if it will be incorporated into the same project or not. Personally, I'd like to see them do something like the Ogre deluxe edition did... offer a base level game for a modest price, maybe Small World with wooden tokens for the basic races. Then offer stretch rewards to make the game better as more people contribute...

1. Wooden tokens for Cursed!
2. Wooden tokens for Grand Dames
3. Wooden tokens for Be Not Afraid
4. Metal coins
5. 6-player board
6. Dragon Master/Heroic/etc. figures

Or something like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.