Hide
7 Posts

Star Trek: Fleet Captains» Forums » Rules

Subject: Picard maneuver rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Canadian girl Canadian girl
msg tools
The combats ends immediately begin a new combat with this ship as the aggressor. ...

When I am the victim of an attack I do not get to make a power adjustment this card I become the attacker and my partner becomes the victim? Is he aloud to make a power adjustment because it is still on his turn?

I think no because when you are being attack you are not aloud to make a power adjustment

Thank

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I would say no too, because the Picard manoeuvre is a surprise retaliation and works so well because it all happens before the enemy has time to retaliate.
This is my favourite card and has been used several times to great effect (and me being called lots of bad names after).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Scott
msg tools
I would have to disagree here. The rules specifically state that each ship is allowed to make one power adjustment per turn at any time with the exception of being done in the middle of movement.

After the Picard Maneuver card is played, it is technically still the new target’s turn. Therefore, the new target should be able to make a power adjustment. The one who played the Picard Maneuver (new aggressor) should not be able to make a power adjustment because it is technically not his turn. The new aggressor would need to play an “All Power to Weapons” card or something to that effect when the new combat begins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave, or "Phineas" or "Tolstoy" or,
United States
Mount Holly
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Picard Maneuver
Here are some relevant quotes from the FAQ:

Q. When can a Power Adjustment be made?
A. A single Power Adjustment may be made for each ship on the active player’s turn. It can be done at anytime (see next question for Combat) with some limitations:

Example 1 - You cannot attack an opponent, and then after they played cards power adjust in the middle of a combat sequence.

Q. What is the order for doing Combat and other tests.
A. The order is:
1. Declare the action. If it is a combat declare your attacker(s) and your target.
2. Active player may make a Power Adjustment to his ship(s) as long as the ship(s) have not had a Power Adjustment this turn.

The first question supports the argument that Power Adjustments can only be made on the active player's turn, in this case, the first player to attack. But then the example suggests that after the Picard Maneuver, when the Target becomes the Aggressor, the new Target should not be able to Power Adjust because you "cannot attack an opponent, and then after they played cards, power adjust..."

The 2nd question could be interpreted in this case to suggest that the new Aggressor might be considered to be the Active Player (since she would be declaring an attack and a target), if only for this Combat. In which case she would be able to Power Adjust since she has not done so yet (since it was not her turn), while the Target would not (because he either already did, or cannot now that he is the Target).

Or, after the 2nd Combat begins, neither side can make a Power Adjustment in this special case, though I have no reasons to support that.

This is a tough one. I think the easiest answer is to allow the new Combat to proceed, just in this case, as if the original Target is now the Active Player, just for this Combat. After it has been resolved by all the normal rules (therefore, a Power Adjust can be made by the new attacker, but not by the Target), then play returns to the original player's turn. Just my opinion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilias Sellountos
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just because a card allows you to attack when you are not the active player does not make you the active player. As someone else said above, the right to power adjust still stays with the actual active player no matter who is attacking and who is defending.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave, or "Phineas" or "Tolstoy" or,
United States
Mount Holly
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, yeah, when you say it that way...

I can see that arguments can be made either way. Some of the other threads have answers that include focusing on theme as part of the answer. Theme to me, in this case, would be allowing the Picard Maneuver player to make the Power Adjustment, but not the new Target, allow the Picard Maneuver to really sock it to the original attacker, which is very much in theme, and includes the flavor of the original story of how and where that happened.

But, like I said, I can see it either way. One thing I have noticed as I read through all these threads: there are a lot of good questions out there that I never would have considered to be issues. And lots of good answers and great discussion too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilias Sellountos
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I generally object to using theme to answer rules questions. Not saying you are wrong, just personally I see theme as outside of the game rules and not part of them. Since there is no rule that says the active player flips during an attack by a non-active player I see no reason to make one up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.