Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Stronghold» Forums » Rules

Subject: Once more regarding breaches: a bit on "when," and the Glory Points rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
After having gone through the Valley Games rules edition and checking around here, I'm still a little perplexed on a couple of issues related to breaches.

From [thread=http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/888317/when-is-the-stron...][/thread], I think I was able to reconcile the discrepancies between examples and rule text. Also, I've read at least one thread related to Glory Point scoring with regard to ramming the gates. However, I'm still trying to clarify a few points.

(1) In "Breaching the Stronghold" (VG rules, page 17 of Invader book), we're told that "If the Invader fails to Breach the Stronghold at any Wall Section, the turn ends and another one begins." I'm assuming that since this section also defines the third gate going down as a breach, this quoted statement should mean just "If the Invader fails to breach the Stronghold, the turn ends and another one begins." Is this correct? If it is, I'm assuming that I should read any other similar referece to breaching by wall (only) as referring actually to either form of breach.

(2) In the bonus points section of the Glory Points rules (p. 19 of Invader book), the rules state that 2 points are awarded "if the 3rd Gate is the first breach into the Stronghold . . . and ends the game." The first part is clear to me; what I'm wondering about is what "and ends the game" means. Since (as I understand it) one breach is sufficient to end the game (although multiple are possible, since the turn in which the first breach occurs continues to the end of the Assault), I'm unclear on what "and ends the game" is intended to mean.

(3, or maybe just 2b) In yet one more related vein, I'm unsure how the Gate scoring works (this despite having read other threads about it). I get that the 1st Gate is 1 GP, as is the 2nd. The mere breaking of the 3rd Gate is also 1 point. What I'm not clear on is under what circumstance(s) the 2 points I mentioned in (2), above, are assigned. Is it (a) when the Gate breach is the first breach or, more narrowly, (b) when the Gate breach is the first and only breach?

So say that there is an Assault in which the 3rd Gate is breached and one Wall Section is breached afterward (but not by 4+ unassigned Advantage points). Would the GP award be

1 GP for the 3rd Gate breaking
2 GP for the Gates being the first breach
3 GP for breaching the Stronghold at all
1 GP for the second (Wall) breach ?

I guess part of what's confusing me is the reference to "1 GP for every additional Wall Section where a Breach occurred" under "Breaching the Stronghold," as its use of "other" suggests that a Wall Breach is the only "real" breach, although the rules contradict that.

I hope that's clear. I'm trying to learn this from the rules, so maybe actually playing clears all this up, too.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Víctor Ochoa
Spain
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Quote:
(1) In "Breaching the Stronghold" (VG rules, page 17 of Invader book), we're told that "If the Invader fails to Breach the Stronghold at any Wall Section, the turn ends and another one begins." I'm assuming that since this section also defines the third gate going down as a breach, this quoted statement should mean just "If the Invader fails to breach the Stronghold, the turn ends and another one begins." Is this correct? If it is, I'm assuming that I should read any other similar referece to breaching by wall (only) as referring actually to either form of breach.


Yes, you're right.

Quote:
(2) In the bonus points section of the Glory Points rules (p. 19 of Invader book), the rules state that 2 points are awarded "if the 3rd Gate is the first breach into the Stronghold . . . and ends the game." The first part is clear to me; what I'm wondering about is what "and ends the game" means. Since (as I understand it) one breach is sufficient to end the game (although multiple are possible, since the turn in which the first breach occurs continues to the end of the Assault), I'm unclear on what "and ends the game" is intended to mean.


If you breach the third door, is exactly the same as if you breach a wall section. So "and ends the game" means the same as a wall breach.

Quote:
(3, or maybe just 2b) In yet one more related vein, I'm unsure how the Gate scoring works (this despite having read other threads about it). I get that the 1st Gate is 1 GP, as is the 2nd. The mere breaking of the 3rd Gate is also 1 point. What I'm not clear on is under what circumstance(s) the 2 points I mentioned in (2), above, are assigned. Is it (a) when the Gate breach is the first breach or, more narrowly, (b) when the Gate breach is the first and only breach?


Yes, you are right. When the third door is the first and only breach, you get 2 extra points.

Quote:
So say that there is an Assault in which the 3rd Gate is breached and one Wall Section is breached afterward (but not by 4+ unassigned Advantage points). Would the GP award be

1 GP for the 3rd Gate breaking
2 GP for the Gates being the first breach
3 GP for breaching the Stronghold at all
1 GP for the second (Wall) breach ?


You can't breach a wall section AFTER the door breach. Barbican is the last step during resolution. If you breach a wall you get 3 points for breaching the Stronghold and 1 point for the third door.

The points are like this:

3 GP for breaching the Stronghold at all
1 GP for the second (Wall) breach (if any)
1 GP for the 3rd Gate breaking


Quote:
I guess part of what's confusing me is the reference to "1 GP for every additional Wall Section where a Breach occurred" under "Breaching the Stronghold," as its use of "other" suggests that a Wall Breach is the only "real" breach, although the rules contradict that.


I agree, there is a few paragraphs that are confusing. Specially if English is not your first language (like me).

Quote:
I hope that's clear. I'm trying to learn this from the rules, so maybe actually playing clears all this up, too.


I had a couple of problems with the rules at the beginning but, after reading the rules for a second time and checking a couple threads on the BGG, now everything is smooth during the game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rizal desmon
msg tools
Hi, just want clarification.
Lets say, during the assault, first wall breach I got 3GP (this didn't immediately end game, right?) so in another part of the wall I also breach that wall and get another 1GP. After the whole asault ends then the game ends and both GP counted.. is it right?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.