Subject: Favorite professions from most useful to least useful... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron
Switzerland
Leysin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the dancer the best and find the farmer the least useful/ I place the dancer and the historian just behind the weaver.

1. Weaver
2. Dancer 3. Historian (tied for second)...actually dancer is rather special and might be number one???
4. Assassin 5. Trader (tied for third)
6. Farmer

Is the farmer really useful at all?

He often puts me over the top but not a card I seek to employ too often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Garrett
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
www.garrettsgames.com
badge
This week's podcast - Circus Flohcati, Pi Mal Pflaumen, and Pack O Games Set 2
mbmbmbmbmb
The Weaver is strong initially for getting guilds built, but diminishes a bit since you have to remove cards from your guilds at the more powerful levels.

I used to think the Trader was least effective, but then built to 4 and did the guild for guild swap, trading a single-card guild for someone's multiple-card guild. VERY powerful.

As for the assassin, I find that using his power too early just makes you a target, so I avoid use until later in the game when I can do a combined Assassin/Historian combo and get an essential card from someone else's guild.

And if you can keep your farmer at the 3 VP level (remember that you can PLAY cards that then get discarded because you already have that color in your guild), you can rack up the VPs pretty quickly.

(Man I hope everything I said above is right, because I'm sitting here without the rules in front of me).

Can you tell I love this game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bryden
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My findings so far:

If you play with low interaction:

1. Dancer
2. Weaver
3. Historian
4. Farmer
5. Trader
6. Assassin

I have yet to see this win with an interactive group. Relying too much on dancers beyond the early game is risky because you will give others access to them enhancing their position. Therefore you are facilitating your competition.

In the interactive games that I have played: (you will of course adjust to your opponent's plays)
1. Dancer (early only until 2-3 and after possibly finishing a set 1-2, they are a nice outlet to just drawing cards)

2. Farmer (has often been the swing to achieve victory, those without 3-5 VPs have to work a little harder at getting sets put together. They have been a factor in every game that I have played. Get 4+ points from them and you are in good shape. Weaver/farmer will easily get you to 6-8 points without much effort.)

3. Weaver (nice but drains your hand requiring you to choose the draw action more often or to rely heavily on dancers. I assassinate the dancers to limit the weavers effectiveness or just go after the weavers if the player has no dancer support. Weaver players will protect their dancers, use this against them.)

4. Trader (mid to late game very strong, has been the strongest by far in getting sets created especially in games with 3 or 4 players. I prefer it to the weaver as it does not drain my hand as fast. Very weak in the early going. You need to be patient.)

5. Historian (if players are discarding, then this is a good action, until a reshuffle. Don't get caught in the assassin/historian trap as this is too "labor intensive". They are a good defense against assassins unless they are the group getting hit. This makes them a potential liability in an assassin heavy game.)

6. Assassin (while still ranked last it is great for making a quick "correction" to another player's guild as long as they don't have historians to retrieve their loss)

However, the historian and assassin are the easiest to build a set from as they are not frequently targetted. Dancers switch hands frequently or might get assassinated often in the early going which can cause players to waste actions building them back up again.

Frequency of set completion: (interactive games)
1. Assassin
2. Trader
3. Weaver
4. Historian (could interchange with weaver)
5. Farmer (every now and then these get completed)
6. Dancer (early only, you are lucky to get one set complete during a game)

Guildhall is much better as an interactive game than one where you play multi-player solitaire. In one game, I saw it happen and I tried to encourage interaction only to watch the player constantly discard and redraw, protect their dancers and focus on farmers. They lost badly and did not understand how it happened.

Don't be playing Dominion while the rest of us are playing Guildhall.

Therefore the value of the different actions is very group dependent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bryden
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dwgteach wrote:
And if you can keep your farmer at the 3 VP level (remember that you can PLAY cards that then get discarded because you already have that color in your guild), you can rack up the VPs pretty quickly.

This is not correct. You are not permitted to play an action card of a color in your guild. You may acquire one in a trade to discard or play one in with a weaver to then trade away.

If you could play a farmer of the same color as one in your guild this would make them way too powerful. I would play one for 2 points everytime I received a duplicate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron
Switzerland
Leysin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"And if you can keep your farmer at the 3 VP level (remember that you can PLAY cards that then get discarded because you already have that color in your guild), you can rack up the VPs pretty quickly."

You CAN NEVER play the same color/profession in your action area if the same card is in your Guild. You are making an error!

Thanks for the advice though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Howell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NoDicePlease wrote:
You are not permitted to play an action card of a color in your guild. You may acquire one in a trade to discard or play one in with a weaver to then trade away.

I don't think this is right either, although I may have misunderstood you.

You can never give or receive cards in a trade that would put duplicate cards in a guildhall. Nor, for that matter, can you use a Historian or Weaver to put duplicate cards in your guildhall.

You can, however, swap identical cards in a trade. This is usually relevant to the highest-level Trader action, where you might for example swap your lone blue Farmer for another player's Farmer chapter that includes a blue one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Nettleton
United States
Richmond
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
NoDicePlease wrote:
You are not permitted to play an action card of a color in your guild. You may acquire one in a trade to discard or play one in with a weaver to then trade away.

I don't think this is right either, although I may have misunderstood you.

You can never give or receive cards in a trade that would put duplicate cards in a guildhall. Nor, for that matter, can you use a Historian or Weaver to put duplicate cards in your guildhall.

You can, however, swap identical cards in a trade. This is usually relevant to the highest-level Trader action, where you might for example swap your lone blue Farmer for another player's Farmer chapter that includes a blue one.

Right. But there's an uncommon thing where you can play a card to your play area, then trade, weave, or historian a duplicate of that card into your guild hall as your second action, forcing you to discard the one you still have in your play area at the end of your turn. I think I've got that right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Dietz
United States
Watertown
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Great:
1) Play 4th farmer -> 2VP
2) Play 3rd weaver -> Return farmer to hand

The combo where you play only your 2nd farmer for 1 VP and then return it with the 3rd weaver is still good.

Ludicrous:
1) Play 5th farmer -> 2VP
2) Play 5th weaver -> Return 2 farmers to hand
---------
Note: All roles are powerful. Really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryl Unwin
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad I read this thread.
Game is sounding more and more like my thing.
Thanks everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This should be adjusted to include the Guildhall: Job Faire professions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Elsenheimer
United States
Howard City
MI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geremiah wrote:
Glad I read this thread.
Game is sounding more and more like my thing.
Thanks everyone.

I hope you get to try it soon. It's a game I could play all day.

I prefer it over Guildhall: Job Faire, but I recommend trying that too; you never know when someone might like it over the first one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.