17 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Good games from younger kids rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
nithos nithos

Iowa
msg tools
Does anyone have any suggestions for good family games for younger kids (3 & 6)? Something that can be knocked out in under 30 minutes and my wife wouldn't classify as complex.

Current Favorites:
Son(6):
- Heroes Unite
- Forbidden Island
- The aMAZEing Labyrinth
- Family Fluxx
- Apples To Apples
- Wits and Wagers

Daughter(3):
- Heroes Unite
- Hisss
- Feed The Kitty
- And being a total wild card in any of the other games being played

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I´d suggest Die kleinen Drachenritter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Blue
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Magic Labyrinth is a great memory game -- perfect for that age range.

Ubongo is also a lot of fun. Just play without the timer to let your kids finish their puzzles.

Tsuro is also great. My 6 year old daughter regularly beats adults at this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chelsea
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dixit with the entire family is an excellent game for people of all ages. It may be ever so slightly above the little one's limit, but worth it sooner or later as she grows up.

I would also suggest Sleeping Queens, though the adults will not enjoy it nearly as much as the kids, and again it might be slightly above the youngins ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fehr
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Hi there! Follow my gaming exploits on Twitter (fehrmeister)
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamewright has some great games for that age range. I'd recommend checking out:
Rat-a-Tat Cat: Award winning memory/push-your-luck game
Go Bananas!: Quick spot-the-match-and-slap-it game
Walter Wick Can You See What I See?: Simple game about about finding objects on chunky cardboard tiles
Take the Cake: Simple matching game about sprinkling toppings on cupcakes

Other great games for young ones would be:
Chicken Cha Cha Cha: Cool memory-related games with great components
Viva Topo!: Simple racing game with cute wooden components and some interesting push-your-luck decisions as your mice try to stay away from a hungry cat

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Homan
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spot It! is a great game for younger kids and Spot It! Jr. is probably better for the ages of your kids. The main mechanism is matching a symbol/picture on your card to one on the card in the center. There are 9 pictures on each card, but every card has only one picture in common with any other card (very clever). The games are quick (usually 2-10 minutes) and offer a variety of ways to play. Everything is picture oriented, so your youngest (depending on vocabulary) might be able to point to the matching symbols instead of saying the name of the matching objects. The ability to find a specific object among a group of objects is an important early cognitive skill, and will be well practiced with this game.

Coloretto might be a game that you can introduce, as it is based on collecting set of cards of the same color. The decisions are limited to drawing and placing a card or taking a pile. The scoring would be difficult for your little one, but you and mom can help her with that. This might be a good game to teach your daughter colors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nithos nithos

Iowa
msg tools
Is there a timing element to Spot It? That's the impression that I got when I first glanced at the game at a local store.

The 3 year old is probably above average on the development side of thing, knows colors, letters and there sounds, decent vocabulary etc. The 6 year old on the other hand was tested as globally gifted, so it's hard to find that nice medium that both can play and everyone can enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Harris
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would second Sleeping Queens

and also recommend:

Wildlife Safari

and

Water Lily

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nithos nithos

Iowa
msg tools
mrblueesq wrote:

Tsuro is also great. My 6 year old daughter regularly beats adults at this game.
I have had this one on his Amazon wish list for over a year, no one seems to want to buy it for him. I might just have to break down and buy it. But my wife isn't a fan of The aMAZEing Labyrinth and this has a similar feel to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Homan
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nithos wrote:
Is there a timing element to Spot It? That's the impression that I got when I first glanced at the game at a local store.

The 3 year old is probably above average on the development side of thing, knows colors, letters and there sounds, decent vocabulary etc. The 6 year old on the other hand was tested as globally gifted, so it's hard to find that nice medium that both can play and everyone can enjoy.

The timing mechanism is that the first player to recognize the match of pictures between their card and the one in the center gets to take the card in the center and it becomes their new top card. This can be to the other players' advantage, as they are more familiar with the pictures on their cards than is the player who just received a new card. Play continues until the center stack is exhausted, then players count cards to determine a winner. Kids can be a little slow at first, but tend to pick up speed at this game much better than the adults do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WJ MacGuffin
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
I have one son, age 5. He's not very competitive and doesn't mind losing, but he absolutely loves taking me down a peg in any game. Here's what we play:

Castle Panic: Cooperative like Forbidden Island but with a fight-evil-creatures theme. My son loves the panic when monsters surround our castle!

Zombie Dice: Simple, no reading required, and fast-paced. Like his daddy, my boy has a thing for zombies.

Jungle Speed: Again, no reading and fast-paced. Be warned, though. My son loves to wrestle over the totem!

Battletech: Yes, Battletech. We usually don't get past the third turn, but my boy loves moving giant robots across the battlefield. Plus, we've had fun using playdoh to make buildings and terrain for the board.

Zombies!!!: Again, we love us some zombies. It has combat, we get to send zombies after each other, it's good fun.

Heroica: It's the rpg gateway game. Not very complex, though.

Loopin' Louie: Just re-released, it's our current favorite and surprisingly fun for a kids game.

Lastly, if they like Forbidden Island, you might want to try Pandemic. The rules are almost identical but the theme is much different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Chasteen
United States
Yorktown
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the 3 year old - Haba Games!
Monza
Animal Upon Animal
Dancing Eggs
Der schwarze Pirat
and if they ever do a reprint - Gulo Gulo.

For the 6 year old.
Get Bit!
King of Tokyo
Carcassonne
Formula D
Can't Stop
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nithos nithos

Iowa
msg tools
Thanks for all the suggestions, I have added several to my wish list.

Actually found Heroica: Nathuz on clearance today, seems like something the 6yo might enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.A.H. van de Laak
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GUBS

Easy card game. Nice tin box. A 6 year old can easily play this. Cute and great looking artwork.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Barbie
msg tools
mbmb
nithos wrote:
mrblueesq wrote:

I have had this one on his Amazon wish list for over a year, no one seems to want to buy it for him. I might just have to break down and buy it. But my wife isn't a fan of The aMAZEing Labyrinth and this has a similar feel to it.

They're completely different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nithos nithos

Iowa
msg tools
Ended up picking up both Take The Cake and Sleeping Queens at B&N with the $10 off $20 in games coupon. Both games ran around $11.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Borkman
Australia
Menangle
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GUBS !!! (Have played this a couple of times a day since we got it at Christmas... adults playing with young children, everyone enjoying it. And nobody minds when they lose... it's that kind of game.)
Pick Picknic
Incan Gold

LBBB

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.