Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Kluck
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played FoF quite a few times and haven't come upon the Church card with the OP symbol in the top right until now.

I assume it means +1 card for units spotting from it, but I'm not sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ahilleas stanidis
Greece
Thessaloniki
greece
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sitnam wrote:
I've played FoF quite a few times and haven't come upon the Church card with the OP symbol in the top right until now.

in the game there is a counter for church,you have to put it on the card.from right now this place is considered +1 higher and apply every rule that is relavant with this.

hope this helps...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluck
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
toukouy wrote:
Sitnam wrote:

in the game there is a counter for church,you have to put it on the card.from right now this place is considered +1 higher and apply every rule that is relavant with this.

hope this helps...

Sure it's multistory, but so is at least one of the Village cards and it doesn't have the (OP) in the upper right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The version of the rules that shipped with the game included this blurb from 1.2.8:

Quote:
1.2.8 Expansions
Note that there are some concepts in the rules or icons on the cards
(such as the Landing Zones on the Terrain Deck for Korea, some of
the Night Observation devices, etc.) that are not used in this game.
These will be used in planned expansion missions sold as separate
modules or appearing in C3i Magazine.

Oddly I think this was removed from the version 2.1 rulebook that's available online which just makes things more confusing.

Anyway, I believe it was determined that the OP was one of these icons that we can ignore, although it would have been nice for those items to be explicitly pointed out to avoid an additional layer of confusion. Nothing like coming across this and then wondering why it's unfamiliar and then going crazy looking for it in the various rule books.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sitnam wrote:
Sure it's multistory, but so is at least one of the Village cards and it doesn't have the (OP) in the upper right.

Churches were commonly used as Observation Points due to the steeple design, as they allowed a small observation team a full 360 field of view from a single point. In a larger multistory structure several teams would be needed in multiple rooms to cover the same FOV at the same time due to intervening walls/lack of windows on one facing, etc.

They were also a common structure from small villages to large cities across Europe. While some places wouldn't have any multistory buildings around, you had a pretty good chance a church would at least be nearby.

I'm sure Ben had something like this in mind when thinking up ways to expand the game and concepts it introduced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluck
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, sure wish the answer was something that could help poor Charlie company. I'm suddenly playing '52 card pickup' with casualty chits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan | In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Combat Commander series fan | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me! | Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
jyeackle wrote:
Churches were commonly used as Observation Points due to the steeple design, as they allowed a small observation team a full 360 field of view from a single point.

This is the reason Canadian tankers rarely waited for fire orders when they came into view of one of these things in Normandy and simply opened fire with HE rounds to bring them down. Shoot first, ask questions later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Hull
United States
Stafford
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The is a upper story - church tower cover marker for the Observation Post. The upper story of the church is the church tower. It can only fit a single step.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
benhull wrote:
It can only fit a single step.

That makes sense, but I couldn't find a reference to that in either the printed or living rules. Another item for the inclusion list for 2.2/3.0 if it's not already on there.

Is the 1 step limitation an example of what the "OP" icon will be used for in the future, or is the limitation due to it being a Church Tower and "OP" will be used for something else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluck
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
benhull wrote:
The is a upper story - church tower cover marker for the Observation Post. The upper story of the church is the church tower. It can only fit a single step.

Thanks. It didn't say multi-story on the card so I figured it didn't have one. The difference makes sense.

Lucky for Charlie company I haven't been able to finish the game yet, so they'll get to use it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sitnam wrote:
It didn't say multi-story on the card so I figured it didn't have one. The difference makes sense.

Yeah, re-reading that section of the rules (printed and living) I can see where your confusion comes from. "OP" isn't mentioned, and it's easy to assume a "church indicator" might be a symbol like a church where the multi-story icon normally is.

I think I learned to just stick one on the card whenever it was a Church card (I know I ignored the OP icon) from watching the wonderful play though video series, as I had read the rules several years prior and was just looking for a quick refresh. Maybe this was covered over on ConSimWorld.

And after a quick look... Bingo! (almost exactly one year later!)

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX/.ee6eec3/4948

Although the reference to 5.2.3c should be updated to say that OP is the church indicator and it can only hold a single step. At least I won't be cramming a full squad in there in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluck
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that I think about it, I have another question.

Can an XO, SGT or CO HQ command units on levels they aren't on?

If not the FSO will have to spot and call for fire during the General Initiative phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Klinkisch
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sitnam wrote:

If not the FSO will have to spot and call for fire during the General Initiative phase.

Cover markers are not visually communicated with the card, so a CO in a cover can't command units on the card.
I assume (not sure though) that the same applies between the first floor and the ground floor of a cover marker.

You could activate the Observer directly: his radio/phone goes back to the CO eventually, so he is in communication.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluck
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sancherib wrote:
Sitnam wrote:

Cover markers are not visually communicated with the card, so a CO in a cover can't command units on the card.
I assume (not sure though) that the same applies between the first floor and the ground floor of a cover marker.

You could activate the Observer directly: his radio/phone goes back to the CO eventually, so he is in communication.

I thought the FSOs have one radio and it's on the Battalion net, to be in communication with the CO they'd need to be on the company tactical net.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Klinkisch
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sitnam wrote:
I thought the FSOs have one radio and it's on the Battalion net, to be in communication with the CO they'd need to be on the company tactical net.

But isn't the CO allways in communication with Bat-Net? The cO could then activate the FSO.
Everything form memory, I don'T have the rules here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.