Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Gallant
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always liked the idea of psychographics and tagging but until now it didn't really seem feasible (and maybe it still isn't ). I threw this together and it looks ok, but I'd like some forum poster's opinions to see if there are obvious flaws. I could see there being almost TOO much tracing stuff here as once the tags on the runner get >4-5 the bite this deck has might be nullified.

Identity:
NBN: Making News (Core)

Total Cards: (59)
Agenda (11)
AstroScript Pilot Program (Core #81) x2
Breaking News (Core #82) x3
Executive Retreat (Trace Amount #39) x2
Private Security Force (Core #107) x1
Restructured Datapool (What Lies Ahead #16) x3

Asset (6)
Adonis Campaign (Core #56) x2
Ghost Branch (Core #87) x1
Melange Mining Corp (Core #108) x3

ICE (24)
Archer (Core #101) x1
Caduceus (What Lies Ahead #19) x3
Data Raven (Core #88) x3
Draco (What Lies Ahead #20) x3
Enigma (Core #111) x2
Hunter (Core #112) x2
Matrix Analyzer (Core #89) x2
TMI (What Lies Ahead #17) x2
Tollbooth (Core #90) x3
Wall of Static (Core #113) x3

Operation (13)
Big Brother (Trace Amount #35) x3
Closed Accounts (Core #84) x2
Hedge Fund (Core #110) x3
Psychographics (Core #85) x3
SEA Source (Core #86) x2

Upgrade (5)
ChiLo City Grid (Core #36) x3
Corporate Troubleshooter (Core #65) x2

Total Agenda Points: 24

Influence Values Totals -
Haas-Bioroid: 6
Jinteki: 0
NBN: 43
The Weyland Consortium: 8
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Brooks
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mb
I like this deck idea but as you said (until Project Baele), after 4-5 tags, it doesn't really matter. I have an Anarch deck that just doesn't care and I've acquired 20+ tags over the course of the game and Medium runs against R&D still yield many points.

You may know my name, my address, my social security number, my mother's maiden name, the street I grew up on and my first pet's name, but I still ruined all your plans. A massive demo run on R&D and a couple runs on HQ with Imp will get rid of your Psychographics so even if you eventually shut me out of R&D and somehow draw into an agenda it will be less likely for you to one-turn score your 3 point agendas.

Until there is an incentive to overadvance agendas for effect in NBN, you can find runners that won't be that threatened by your tags. Honestly, once I have Yog.0 and Morning Star out, the only cards that will stop me from R&D running are Tollbooth and Archer (or a highly advanced Draco), a parasite or two will take those down, then it is only a matter of turns before I win.

On the other hand, against some players who need resources, need lots of money or have a debilitating fear of Scorched Earth, this deck is literally the thing of their nightmares.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Cale
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Yog-Sothoth knows the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the key and guardian of the gate. Past, present, future, all are one in Yog-Sothoth. He knows where the Old Ones broke through of old, and where They shall break through again.
mbmbmb
What, no Scorched Earth?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gallant
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BoShek wrote:

On the other hand, against some players who need resources, need lots of money or have a debilitating fear of Scorched Earth, this deck is literally the thing of their nightmares.

I may make it and see how it goes and report back. I don't think Scorched Earth can fit in the deck. Most runners would think I'd have 1 or 2 and if they see most of my influence they may take that down to 1 or none but still be cautious.

Would rototurrent and/or agressive secretary be useful here? I'd have to play traps earlier in the game when the runner doesn't have many tags since it looks suspicious if he has a bunch of tags, I lay down an asset and don't psycho it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Imboden
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BoShek wrote:
I like this deck idea but as you said (until Project Beale), after 4-5 tags, it doesn't really matter.

Reinforced for emphasis. When Beale hits, all bets are off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Brooks
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Cheeseburger wrote:
BoShek wrote:

I may make it and see how it goes and report back. I don't think Scorched Earth can fit in the deck. Most runners would think I'd have 1 or 2 and if they see most of my influence they may take that down to 1 or none but still be cautious.

Would rototurrent and/or agressive secretary be useful here? I'd have to play traps earlier in the game when the runner doesn't have many tags since it looks suspicious if he has a bunch of tags, I lay down an asset and don't psycho it.

I love your first point. Once the runner sees your influence being spread about they may feel safe to let their grip dip below 4. I wouldn't bother since it is just distracting from your true goal for this deck.

As to your second, yes. If the runner deck doesn't care about traces (having enough link or what-have-you) a couple surprise ice/assents wouldn't be a bad thing especially since Rototurret is only 1 Influence! A few traps here and there will make the runner more cautious.

This deck will soar into usefulness once Project Baele comes out. Then you can Psychographics for as much money as you have at the time and perhaps win on the spot.

Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Freeman
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
From my experience, this deck currently only works running a bit leaner and using three astroscripts. In many ways the psychographics decks are similar to fast advance decks, because you are trying to win before the late game. If you let the late game roll around, you will be on the backfoot against two of the three runner factions. That being said, I respect the goal of running a thicker deck, a goal I really want to aspire to by the end of genesis.

I have had a lot of luck with a 49 card deck like this, although I run PADs over Melanges and my meta doesn't run many bank jobs. I really enjoy the ability to use clicks for things other than melanges, which PAD and Adonis creates. Three PADs and three adonis' ensure that I have plenty of money for traces and ice, while still leaving me clicks for installs, draws and advances.

That being said, against opponents who do not care about tags, this deck does have some trouble. I think with the proper application of bluffing and applying pressure to the tempo of the game (trashing resources, closing accounts and psychographics) you can turn the mid part of the game into a race. The first time you get to psychographics an executive retreat (or a priority requisition), might be the last time that your opponent ever just lets five tags sit.

Edit: Minor spelling errors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It has trouble making use of tags, AND against good link. My philosophy on tagging now is to not have as many cards with trace as possible, but to have as many strong traces as possible, augmented by other cards that aren't strong because of trace. I think that's the smartest thing to do when anyone could drop 3 rabbit holes to ruin this deck for 3 influence.

So I dropped anything trace 2 and below, and trace 3 needs to be actually good in other context (data raven = yummy) to be included. I also am trying Sherlock + ChiLo. Overall the deck needs more ETR so I'm also experimenting with sensei.

Is there really point to include just one PSF? At least take 2 or just drop it, I say. Hoping for it isn't gonna come when you want it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Brooks
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Tuism wrote:
So I dropped anything trace 2 and below, and trace 3 needs to be actually good in other context (data raven = yummy) to be included. I also am trying Sherlock + ChiLo. Overall the deck needs more ETR so I'm also experimenting with sensei.

Woot, woot! A combo that's meant to be. What's extra great is when you can remove the breaker that they would need to bypass the ETR ice Sherlock is in front of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BoShek wrote:
Tuism wrote:

Woot, woot! A combo that's meant to be. What's extra great is when you can remove the breaker that they would need to bypass the ETR ice Sherlock is in front of.

You just gotta be real careful about how to go about it. If you can stack bioroids that'd be even better. If you can't... Well, just try harder

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Duncan
United Kingdom
Ellon
Aberdeenshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tuism wrote:
It has trouble making use of tags, AND against good link. My philosophy on tagging now is to not have as many cards with trace as possible, but to have as many strong traces as possible, augmented by other cards that aren't strong because of trace. I think that's the smartest thing to do when anyone could drop 3 rabbit holes to ruin this deck for 3 influence.

Is there really point to include just one PSF? At least take 2 or just drop it, I say. Hoping for it isn't gonna come when you want it.

I think tag-heavy NBN is a very interesting place for Bioroids in general. Essentially, if the runner still cares about being tagged, then either they need to dodge tags or spend clicks removing them at the end of their turn. Bioroid ice is weakened because you can spend clicks to break them. Even giving up a whole turn for the run, if a runner clicks past Sherlock they can only remove a max of 1 tag at the end of their turn. So if you use a larger bioroid (Ichi, Heimdal) or apply more than one tag, then the runner either needs to face down the Bioroid conventionally, or they're certain to be sitting on a tag when your turn rolls around. Sherlock is a great case because of his synergy with NBN and Chi-Lo, but the others could also apply.

Also worth noting that Sherlock and Ash are the only trace 4s at the moment, so Ash and Chi-Lo could also be a good trick if you can spring for the influence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.