United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
schwartz!
badge
My hovercraft is full of eels!
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a thread in BGG Suggestions that I believe is a missed RSP opportunity - BoardGameGeek is called "old and somewhat sprawling site" by noted Silicon Valley venture capitalist. Once I saw the Wired article and Google the so-called venture capitalist I realized that there was a lot of fun to be had.

Thoughts anyone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
Can't say that I disagree with the assessment. Not sure that he'll be able to pull people away from the old, sprawling site though.

Maybe Aldie etc will take the criticisms, learn from them and improve the site. That's what I'm hoping for. I like it like it is myself but no sense turning away those who don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
I am pretty sure the powers that be realize the problems of the site. The redesign experiment, led by a certain ex employee, didn't really pan out in the end.

I've communicated my POV before: Instead of hiring hopeful young geeks who have never worked on something of the magnitude of this website, they should just hire an experienced dev that understands things like scalability, techniques to limit downtime, and can do incremental upgrades instead of 'all or nothing' rewrites that have sunk so many software companies before. The only reason BGG has been able to waste so much dev time without sinking is that there isn't any relevant competitor out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Peterson
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
schwartz!
badge
My hovercraft is full of eels!
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the "noted venture capitalist" behind all this - http://idlewords.com/about.htm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.