Popular Tags: [View All]
Vincent Streuner
United States
Concord
North Carolina
flag msg tools
"Cambot! Gypsy! Tom Servo! Crooooow!"
badge
“Look at me! I’m dancin’! I’m dancin’!” (Claptrap)
mbmbmbmbmb
The 'User Suggested # of Players' for LNoE fairly consistently has 3 and 5 players voted as the "Best" number to play with, with 2 players coming in third place, whereas 4 and 6 players have significant numbers of voters condemning such as "Not Recommended." And it's no secret among fans as to why this is so: A second Zombie Players is a perfunctory role that, if anything, makes it less enjoyable to play as the Zombies.

But thanks to the downloadable web-freebie, All Hallows Eve II: The Ritual, there's no need to try and house-rule something that's liable to disrupt the balance of the game, due to a new 'Special Scenario Rule' introduced at the end of the Scenario: "Extra Heroes (x)." First, you will need the Growing Hunger and Survival of the Fittest expansions in order to understand 'Scenario Special Rules' and have a number of them to balance things out for the Zombie Players, but once you do, it's a simple matter to make the game just as enjoyable with 4, 6, or 7 players as it is with 3 or 5.

Take the All Hallows Eve II Scenario itself, for example: By adding two more Hero characters to the game, 3 Players can have two Heroes each, and the 4th Player controls the Zombies. And of course with the 'Scenario Special Rules' Dot system, you can simply adapt these circumstances to any of the Scenarios that already come with the game, expansions, and supplements (though in the case of two additional Heroes I'd stick with one of the Scenarios that feature the Mansion House, as you'll likely need more room for the additional chaos that's liable to ensue). Sweet sweetness. Likewise, if you want to play with 6 people, just add one additional Hero character, for a total of 5 Hero Players and 1 Zombie Player, and using the Dot system to give the Zombies a boost.

As another example, I even incorporated the "Extra Heroes" feature into my own custom Scenario, Zero Effect. Try it; RIGHT NOW!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think LNOE can be fun with four players, just not as the game's designers describe. When I have four, I prefer to have it break down like this:

Player 1: one hero
Player 2: one hero
Player 3: two heroes (choose the most experienced hero player)
Player 4: all zombies

I find this to be just as fun as any other breakdown that doesn't involve splitting zombies.....zombie splitting, in my opinion, is the quickest way to ruin this game.

Your method would work well for a six/seven player game I think. I'd have to try it to be sure but it seems like a nice idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McGuire
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jcb231 wrote:
I think LNOE can be fun with four players, just not as the game's designers describe. When I have four, I prefer to have it break down like this:

This is exactly what I was planning to do with 4 players as well. Glad to know it's worked well for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ardrikk wrote:
jcb231 wrote:

This is exactly what I was planning to do with 4 players as well. Glad to know it's worked well for you.

It works great. Really the only times I've had a truly bad game of LNOE have been when I've split the zombies up (such a terrible idea) or when things have just lucked out to some silly five-minute long game....in the latter case that is easily solved by playing again. In the former, you've just wasted a couple hours of your precious life.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McGuire
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the only bad experience I (and the others playing) have had with LNOE involved a 4 player game with 2 zombie players as well. Never again....never again. cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dillon
msg tools
Why do people dislike having two zombie players? The only things I can think of would be difficulty in strategizing without making it obvious to the heroes what is in your hand, or the few cards that apply to your zombies. I'm sure there's more if everyone is so strongly against it, but we haven't really developed a hatred for it in the handful of times we've had 4 or 6 people. We almost always have 3 or 5 but if not, my co-zombie players have always been on the same page with what to do, and it's nice to be able to dump two worthless cards in a turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McGuire
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dillon000 wrote:
Why do people dislike having two zombie players? The only things I can think of would be difficulty in strategizing without making it obvious to the heroes what is in your hand, or the few cards that apply to your zombies. I'm sure there's more if everyone is so strongly against it, but we haven't really developed a hatred for it in the handful of times we've had 4 or 6 people. We almost always have 3 or 5 but if not, my co-zombie players have always been on the same page with what to do, and it's nice to be able to dump two worthless cards in a turn.

For me, I don't feel like the zombie player always has as many interesting choices and options for what to do in the game, compared to the Heroes. So, if you split that in two, giving them half the cards and half the zombies to spawn and control, you're severely reducing the fun of the role. I enjoy playing as the zombie player in solo games, but I really disliked when the role had to be split up. So I don't split it anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe G
United States
long island
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that splitting the zombies up creates a harder atmosphere for the zombie player. i just find it harder to do what you would want to do cause you have less control over the horde and only 2 cards. and its hard to scheme with your zombie partner, i find it easier to scheme with myself when i'm a zombie. i guess its just hard to understand all the "urrgghhhh, uhhhhhhh, and grrraaaaaaaaaaa's."

i wanted to try this idea the next time i had 4 people. i'm very glad to hear that it worked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.