Popular Tags: [View All]
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think most forum-goers figured out by now that it's Experiential Data ... NOT Experimental Data.

Also: when you run vs. NBN, you should expect a multitude of Red Herrings. Not just one!

"Janus" is pronounced "Yanus" (like the name Jan, not like the word jar).Scratch that. It's Janus.

What other mistakes did you make when reading a card's name for the first time?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Finkel
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shipment from Mirrormorph Kaguya is quite a common error. People do all kinds of weird stuff with Psychographics: I've heard Psychoanalytics and Psychography, at least. And everyone calls "Mac" Kate!

Maybe you won't count this, but the Ambush subtype keeps on being referred to as Trap, which indeed would have been the better name. Data Mine should have been the one called Ambush.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
The spirit of BGG as expressed by Esgaldil: "We lose nothing by trying to be helpful"
mbmbmbmbmb
IirionClaus wrote:
"Janus" is pronounced "Yanus" (like the name Jan, not like the word jar).

If "Janus" is being used as the name of the Roman god of doorways and transitions (which makes sense. especially with the back to back faces in the image) then Merriam-Webster disagrees with you. They pronounce it \ˈjā-nəs\ (jay-nes).

I'm not saying you're wrong but I'd like to know why you think it is pronounced "Yanus". Maybe Webster's got it wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Hedegaard
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My pet peeve is "Autoscript" when it's Astroscript.

If you need help remembering it, just look a the picture - it's got writing on the moon, that sounds pretty ASTROscript-y to me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Azeltir wrote:
And everyone calls "Mac" Kate!

I've officially joined the Mac camp!!

BitJam wrote:
I'm not saying you're wrong but I'd like to know why you think it is pronounced "Yanus". Maybe Webster's got it wrong.

Curses. You are correct. It's Jay-nus. Like January. Thanks!

athedegaard wrote:
My pet peeve is "Autoscript" when it's Astroscript.

Pronouncing "Astroscript" is a menace with my accent. I do my best, though. I think it sounds like I'm saying "ascropript".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Lupo
Italy
Lecce
Puglia
flag msg tools
mb
January is actually named after Janus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Dawkins
United States
Fountain
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Azeltir wrote:
And everyone calls "Mac" Kate!

Count me in the Kate camp. blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
The spirit of BGG as expressed by Esgaldil: "We lose nothing by trying to be helpful"
mbmbmbmbmb
Azeltir wrote:
[...] everyone calls "Mac" Kate!

Maybe only her close friends call her Mac. If you are not a close friend then using her nickname could be very demeaning. What I find interesting is we often use the last names of men (Santiago) but the first names of women (Kate). I've seen this in the real world back when address books were made out of paper. I would list most men by their last names and most women by their first names (Gabriel Santiago under "S" and Kate "Mac" McCaffrey under "K").

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Twice
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
I call her "That whiny green girl", does that count?

My biggest mistake is calling Ice Wall "Wall of Ice". I also say "Amazon's Industrial Zone".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really a card name mistake, but get this, there's these old dudes who play in my area, they always mistakenly call credits "bits", isn't that weird?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I call her "Acid Burn".

Or Angelina.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Townsend
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I say Jan-us. Not Jay-nus or Yan-us. Just sayin'

Also, Kate sounds so much better than "Mac". I've never called her Mac.

And AutoScript is terrible. It's Astroscript for Weyland's sake!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Gardner
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Don't forget ChiLo City Grid.

I say it with a hard "ch", but I suspect a softer "sh" sound much like Chicago...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't be the only one who keeps calling Wyldside "Wyldslide."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Poole
msg tools
Okay, I hate to be that guy...no, wait, I'm lying, I don't.

If Janus is the Roman god of doors and all that, it'd be pronounced something more like yah-noose, as in Latin, there is no j, that came later. If you take Webster's anglicized pronunciation, sure, jan-us is fine. But if I can score bonus geek points in this life by using the original pronunciation, I'm going to do so.

(in my head, Haas-Bioroid software engineers are dorky enough to also be using the Latin pronunciation. Otherwise, their selection of the English way would trump my fancy Latin-knowing skills)

Edit: I like ChiLo being like...man, it's been too long since I used IPA. Chi to rhyme with high, and lo to rhyme with, well, low. Yes, it's Chicago, but residents sometimes call it Chi-town, which I assure you is not homophonous with shit town.

As for names, I like Noise, Gabe, and Kate. Santiago isn't really able to be shortened. Noise is the only name we've got. And Kate because...well, Mac isn't a very good name. If she were a real person and it was a gender identity thing, fine, but she's not, so all it makes me think of is overpriced computers, bad fast food, and big trucks. None of which makes thematic sense. And if you say "let me pull out my Mac deck" people are usually, "wait, who?" and then you say "Kate" and they're all "oh, okay".

So Noise, Gabe, and Kate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Grell
United States
Winter Haven
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Noise's real name is Ji Reilly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Escapade wrote:
Okay, I hate to be that guy...no, wait, I'm lying, I don't.

If Janus is the Roman god of doors and all that, it'd be pronounced something more like yah-noose, as in Latin, there is no j, that came later. If you take Webster's anglicized pronunciation, sure, jan-us is fine. But if I can score bonus geek points in this life by using the original pronunciation, I'm going to do so.

Sure, as long as you also say "Yupiter"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Poole
msg tools
Gah, that's right. It's just not on the card.

And yes, when we're talking Roman gods, Yupiter it is. Planets, on the other hand, is Jupiter. Because a diversion from Roman gods to Roman language is edifying, but nobody wants to go from astronomy to linguistics. Well, except me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Escapade wrote:
Gah, that's right. It's just not on the card.

And yes, when we're talking Roman gods, Yupiter it is. Planets, on the other hand, is Jupiter. Because a diversion from Roman gods to Roman language is edifying, but nobody wants to go from astronomy to linguistics. Well, except me.

I'll use my Hebrew as an excuse and pronounce it Ya-nus (Jupiter is pronounced Yupiter in Hebrew. Well, actually it's Tzedek, or Ko'chav Chama, but Yupiter is also acceptable). Gabe is an excellent nickname for Santiago. Maybe I shall call Noise "Reilly" to showcase my superb knowledge of his back story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tala Mare
msg tools
mb
I manage to convince everyone in my game group to call Adonis Campaign "Manbuff Campaign"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Escapade wrote:
If Janus is the Roman god of doors and all that, it'd be pronounced something more like yah-noose, as in Latin, there is no j, that came later.

First, Latin is a dead language so we do not know what the original pronunciations were. We simply do not know what sounds corresponded to given letters or combinations.

Second, the Wikipedia claims that there is a /j/ phoneme in Latin.

Finally, if there is no pronounced /j/ then what of: Julius, July, January, and Jupiter? Are we all pronouncing these wrong as well? With languages, at some point the majority is right even if they were originally "wrong".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Access to Globalsuc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Poole
msg tools
BitJam wrote:

First, Latin is a dead language so we do not know what the original pronunciations were. We simply do not know what sounds corresponded to given letters or combinations.

Second, the Wikipedia claims that there is a /j/ phoneme in Latin.

Finally, if there is no pronounced /j/ then what of: Julius, July, January, and Jupiter? Are we all pronouncing these wrong as well? With languages, at some point the majority is right even if they were originally "wrong".

The very same wikipedia goes on to say that J was not distinguished from I (nor U from V) until the dark ages. It says that I/J stood for both a consonant and a vowel sound, but we don't know what. So you're right that far. As for whether it's the Y sound or the J sound it makes, some very overpriced Latin teachers told me that the research more strongly suggests Y. Just for fun, the wikipedia further begins its page on Janus as follows: "In ancient Roman religion and mythology, Janus (Latin: Ianus)"

So yeah. All those other Latin J words? Used to be I. Ianitor, Ianuary, et cetera.

And yeah, I know I'm the minority position and I won't try to snipe anyone who says Janus or Julius Caesar (with a K sound, as it turns out) since most of us are here speaking English rather than Latin, but I was just making an argument for the Y pronunciation not being wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Pettigrew
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
BitJam wrote:
First, Latin is a dead language so we do not know what the original pronunciations were. We simply do not know what sounds corresponded to given letters or combinations....

We know (approximately) how Ancient Egyptian is pronounced -- The Rosetta Stone was deciphered based partially on phonetic spellings of the monarchs of the day. And it was a dead language even when Latin was king.

I have sung in latin in the manner that Germans were pronouncing it in the 15th Century. The procedure is the same way we know how living languages are pronounced today - you use a Whatever-Latin dictionary/pronunciation guide. It just takes a little longer because how you pronounce Whatever has also changed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mychal
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Syncitia wrote:
Don't forget ChiLo City Grid.

I say it with a hard "ch", but I suspect a softer "sh" sound much like Chicago...

Hmm, I disagree. ChiLo is slang, and I imagine it evolving from the current Chicago slang word of "Chi-Town", which is usually pronounced with a hard "ch". (I've have also heard it pronounced like "Shy-Town", but very rarely)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.