Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mike m
United States
palisades park
nj
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After playing a few times, I suddenly realized this basic question was not clear to me.

The answer I found in the rules was "defeat Margath or 3 reds". The rules then say to see further discussion later, but I couldn't find anything except under Doom Track, which I don't use.

There are 7 reds that do not refresh. If there are 4 or more players, everyone could defeat 1 or 2 reds, with none of them being Margath. (And the chance of 1 of them being Margath decreases with Dark Forest, Shadows expansions.)

Then what happens?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the idea was that the explanation under the Doom Track rules was meant to be used as general rules. That is, if no one has 3 dragon runes or defeated Margath, then you win based on the conditions it lists (who has most dragon runes > highest level hero > most gold).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon Morris
Canada
Fergus
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SirWashington wrote:
There are 7 reds that do not refresh.

And there are 7 red challenges. If all the red adventure tokens have been visited, Margath *will* have been revealed - guaranteed.

P.S. It took me quite a while to discover how this game is won too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Daneman
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You win when you either defeat Margath or have 3 Dragon Runes (not when you defeat 3 reds). Since you can take a Dragon Rune when you defeat a player, you can try accumulate them this way, or you can try to beat Margath, who never gets discarded out of the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Romanoski
United States
Osceola
Wi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I rarely play Runebound with other people (I think it plays best solitaire) but the few times I have we never ran into this problem. I think that Montag451s explanation is definitely the best way to go.

You could also count reds defeated from card expansions as fulfilling the requirement, even going so far as to single out a card from each expansion used that when drawn is replaced with Margath.

Alternatively, whenever the last red challenge is defeated, and there is still no winner, you could randomly determine a location on the board to place a new red adventure counter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never been able to find this post again but someone supposedly asked FFG that once you start adding expansions there is a chance that Margath is not high enough in the deck to be drawn, since the reds never refresh.

The answer they got back was to take out all the events, encounters, and Margath from the red deck. Randomly pick six red challenges and then include back the events, encounters and Margath. This way you always have the chance of drawing Margath.

Of if you just stick with a full red deck then you accept that Margath may not be drawn and if no one has three Dragonrunes, when the reds are all gone then you have to start PvPing until someone gets enough Dragonrunes.

I think the "official" answer I can't prove makes more sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, problem appears only with expansions and the way to solve it proposed by FFG was exactly what Drew said.

Personally I keep all cards in my red encounter deck - when you play in 1, 2 or 3 players you won't get into problem. All red challenges that are not events, encounters and Margath are dragon runes as far as I know, so even with 3 player games after defeating all 7 reds someone would have to get 3 runes.

And the chances of Margath never appearing are slim, especially because there are at least 2 reds that "summon" Margath after they are defeated. I count them under "Margath", so it's as if I had 3 Margaths

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike m
United States
palisades park
nj
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oh yeah, i had forgotten that there were only 7 in the base game, and so it's only bec i have added dark forest and shadows of margath in that I could run into this problem.

It does seem like Drew's answer - to ensure that the number of dragonrunes matches the 7 reds - makes the most sense, but it seems like a significant oversight re: how to play these expansions not to have it in the rules. You could easily get to the end of the game and only discover the stalemate then (solvable only by pvp, which I would find unsatisfying).

Then again, maybe it is in the rules for those expansions; i just opened the boxes and threw them into my piles, so i'll have to check that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.