Serenissima (second edition)» Forums » Variants

Subject: 5 players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Why, I could have sworn the game was for five players... Just got it and noticed that it is for 4 players only. Guess I mixed up the new position of the fourth player on the board with our homemade position of a fifth player in the first edition. Well, I will look closer next time before buying a game.

Any comments on how to best add a fifth player in the second ed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kåre Dyvik
Norway
Stavanger
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Notice there are 5 start cities with 5 spaces in their warehouses. So every player gets a choice. New challenges - I like it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe V
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
badmojo wrote:
Why, I could have sworn the game was for five players... Just got it and noticed that it is for 4 players only. Guess I mixed up the new position of the fourth player on the board with our homemade position of a fifth player in the first edition. Well, I will look closer next time before buying a game.

Any comments on how to best add a fifth player in the second ed?

You know, I wondered that myself? It seems like the game is balanced well for two players (Genoa v. Constantinople), three players (Venice v. Alexandria v. Valencia), and for four players (Constantinople, Alexandria, Valencia, Genoa). But five players? I would say Venice is screwed. The board is split rather neatly into two halves with Venice somewhere in the middle-favoring the right, but there are two factions firmly entrenched in each half of the board. So I think Venice would just get squeezed out of everything except Ragusa and maybe Corfu. Because Creta is going to go to Alexandria, most likely. And you're not getting the spot next to Constantinople. And do you really think Venice could get to Crete or Sicily? I highly doubt it. So basically every other player would easily take three spots, one more than Venice, except for two who would get four, two more than Venice. Venice is also the only faction that is more than three away from the spice and more than two from the nearest gold.

Yeah, feel free to play with five, but you'll really have to experiment with giving Venice handicaps, I think. Maybe even something as drastic as ten points a scoring round, so thirty points, just for being Venice. Or maybe something like, for being awesome Venetian merchants, they don't have to pay gold for their first commodity anywhere.

I think a five player version would require some SERIOUS tweaking. But you're already tweaking it unbelievably by adding another player, so why not tweak more to make it work? Perhaps just play some games with Venice in a five player game, three would do it, with no special modifiers to see how much Venice loses by regularly and just give them a handicap. I don't know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.