Subject: pass option - misuse rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
rudy priecinsky
Slovakia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand that in saboteur 2 expansion you can pass and discard 1-3 cards (then take 1-3 from source pile).

It is possible to misuse this option ? Imagine....two+ sabouteurs every move discard 3 cards and take 3 new cards, source pile will be empty very soon and it will be very hard for other (non-saboteur) players to get the treasure. I think many games (maybe not all but certainly a lot) could became unbalanced at least and devaluated at worst.

Am I wrong ?

ps: I like this expansion even though I didnt have a chance to play it yet

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rudy3 wrote:
I understand that in saboteur 2 expansion you can pass and discard 1-3 cards (then take 1-3 from source pile).

It is possible to misuse this option ? Imagine....two+ sabouteurs every move discard 3 cards and take 3 new cards, source pile will be empty very soon and it will be very hard for other (non-saboteur) players to get the treasure. I think many games (maybe not all but certainly a lot) could became unbalanced at least and devaluated at worst.

Am I wrong ?

ps: I like this expansion even though I didnt have a chance to play it yet

The pass option was made that way to help the saboteurs. Overall, there are less saboteurs than other jobs that want to find the gold, so the saboteurs need the extra help. And there are more cards added, so running out the deck without being able to discard more than one would definitely put them at a disadvantage. But the truth is, with the way the jobs are distributed now, you really can't tell how easy or difficult it will be for anybody. The number of players and who gets what jobs will decide, and even then, the right cards from the deck are still needed.

You might have only a single saboteur with 7 other people trying to get to the gold, but those seven will not be working together either. With Miners being split up into blue and green teams, and with the payout depending on the number of players that win, everyone will be fighting. Overall, it's pretty even, and even if you have a bad round, you still play three (and get a new job card each time), so it will work itself out. There are too many variables for this game to be very strategic anyway, you kind of just work with what you got and hope for the best. But I would definitely not say that one job or another is at any severe disadvantage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederic Moyersoen
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I confirm the observations of Doomturtle.

As there are more cards than in the basic game, I wanted a system to deplete quicker the stack of cards. On the other hand, it helps anyone who is looking to find a particular card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rudy priecinsky
Slovakia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely sensible explanation. Thank you.

I rised my question only for the reason that in base game you deplete the source pile very soon.

+ I havent played this expansion yet (even though I bought it few months ago)

Now I'm really looking forward to play it :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rudy priecinsky
Slovakia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr. Moyersoen, I dare to ask....

Do you have any plans for next boardgame ? Also simple, accessible, flexible and clever at the same time ? :-)

Rudy (Slovakia)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederic Moyersoen
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not only plans for a next boardgame, I've more than 100 finished concepts. The difficulty is to convince a publisher to chose one of it to produce.
Sometimes, I'm lucky and I manage to sell a concept.

If you have any suggestion for a game, feel free to propose it, but send it directly to me: info@fredericmoyersoen.net

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.