Henry Allen
United States
Astatula
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm loving this game so I was looking through my old cards one last time before putting them up for trade. So I thought. Then I felt nostalgia and I realized I want to keep them and play classic from time to time. However, I really don't want to re-read that old rule book to remind myself what's different.

So I'm looking for a concise summary of rules differences to play the old game with the old cards assuming you know the new game well. In other words, assuming the player already knows Android: Netrunner, what rules should the player learn (and unlearn) to get them playing some old Netrunner cards again?

I found this great summary of differences: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/838187/guide-the-differences...
but it is kind of the reverse of what I want (this does not elaborate on the old rules details but on the new).

thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KlydeFrog wrote:
I'm loving this game so I was looking through my old cards one last time before putting them up for trade. So I thought. Then I felt nostalgia and I realized I want to keep them and play classic from time to time. However, I really don't want to re-read that old rule book to remind myself what's different.

So I'm looking for a concise summary of rules differences to play the old game with the old cards assuming you know the new game well. In other words, assuming the player already knows Android: Netrunner, what rules should the player learn (and unlearn) to get them playing some old Netrunner cards again?

I found this great summary of differences: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/838187/guide-the-differences...
but it is kind of the reverse of what I want (this does not elaborate on the old rules details but on the new).

thanks!

Traces are different. They are a blind bid where the Runner must have a BASE LINK card and use only one during a Trace. No base link, the trace is automatically successful at a strength of '1'.

The Corp and Runner spend simultaneously. The Corp is bound by the printed trace value and spends 1 bit per point of trace they want. Runner is bound by the already installed and selected baselink card and it will explain how to raise link value, establishing a oneshot-link and a boostable link (usually). Runner wins ties.

Link back then was pretty much silly, and generally ignored.

-=-=-

Bad Publicity is a 'toxin' counter for the Corp. If the Corp ever got to 7, they auto-lost the game, just as if they had decked.

-=-=-

Hidden Resources could be played face down by the Runner - pretty self explanatory.

-=-=-

Double Prep cards could be played by the Runner, taking 2 actions - pretty self explanatory.

-=-=-

Viral Wipe: Corp could 'forgo' their next 3 actions (versus spending 3 currently available actions) for the virus wipe. This let them give up the next turn's actions in the current turn, and a Corp could, for example, initiate a wipe in their 3rd action and then get only one next turn.

-=-=-

No factions or strong deck typing, no card limits on constructed decks.

-=-=-

That's what I remember from memory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Allen
United States
Astatula
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's what I'm talking about, thanks!

I think recall 'exposed' cards worked differently right? They were marked and thereafter could be looked at by the runner I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KlydeFrog wrote:
That's what I'm talking about, thanks!

I think recall 'exposed' cards worked differently right? They were marked and thereafter could be looked at by the runner I think.

Yeah, flipped and marked versus flipped and returned. In actual play, that really isn't a difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Micheal Keane
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Pictured: Rags Raggerson, successful businesscat
mb
Regions need to be rezzed upon installation.

Various abilities require you to forgo agenda *points*, not the scored/stolen cards themselves.

Virus counters exist independent of the card that gave them. (Generally you're going to realize that there was a great deal more record keeping in classic NR...)

Ambushes (and nodes/upgrades in general) need to be rezzed in order to take effect.

You generally access cards in a data fort in a batch rather than completely dealing with one card at a time. You may find this run flowchart useful.

The Runner must survive the run they stole the winning agenda in order to win the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ffaristocrat wrote:
The Runner must survive the run they stole the winning agenda in order to win the game.

Not sure how I forgot this one. That is a BIG change and totally screwed Jinteki to the wall in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt - Conduit23
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
ffaristocrat wrote:

Not sure how I forgot this one. That is a BIG change and totally screwed Jinteki to the wall in my opinion.

Huh. Makes thematic sense, too. Have to get out alive to win!

Now I'm sad it's not that way anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Nowak
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This may help:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/736406/guide-how-to-play...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hall
United States
Marion
SC - South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mdanuser wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:
ffaristocrat wrote:

Huh. Makes thematic sense, too. Have to get out alive to win!

Now I'm sad it's not that way anymore.

There's still a chance that FFG will change it if they decide it makes a big enough difference for a particular faction's overall chances (yeah, probably Jinteki). After Warhammer: Invasion had been out for a little while, they changed the rules for assigning damage to defenders in a fairly substantial way. Well, fairly substantial for a couple of factions anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lieffring
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ffaristocrat wrote:

Ambushes (and nodes/upgrades in general) need to be rezzed in order to take effect.

Not necessarily: http://www.netrunneronline.com/cards/setup/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Micheal Keane
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Pictured: Rags Raggerson, successful businesscat
mb
IncompleteUserNa wrote:
ffaristocrat wrote:

Not necessarily: http://www.netrunneronline.com/cards/setup/

Note the ruling further down the page: if it's installed, it needs to be rezzed for it to take effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.